Bag/Quilt Recommendation

OP
J

JMarbs

FNG
I’d never buy a used sleeping bag.

Initially that was my same thoughts, but based upon how many ROKSLIDERS seemed to have bought or sold used, i figured it wasn't a big deal if they're taken care of. Why specifically are you against it?

Owenst7

WKR
I’d never buy a used sleeping bag.

I bought two on eBay in the last year. Paid less than $70 shipped for a 0 degree 800 fill goretex bag. Got my WM Antelope goretex for less than half of new. Pretty happy with both experiences. The cheap one needed some repairs done and a good wash (it's very clean now, I just washed it in the bathtub). The WM looked brand new. I put more wear and tear on them in a season than they had when I got them.

Any quality brand name bag/quilt is going to be relatively the same if you compare the loft that is on top of you if you want to compare them apples to apples. I use WMs published loft measurements to determine an accurate comfort rating, as they have been accurate for me even using other bags/quilts.

The Kelty cosmic is probably a comparable product to the Marmot 20 degree you listed. They go on sale for cheap and are a good 4-5" of loft. I've had one for a few years and have been happy with it. It's mostly a loaner now, as my WM bag is a tad lighter even though it has twice the loft.

Last edited:

BRWNBR

WKR
Initially that was my same thoughts, but based upon how many ROKSLIDERS seemed to have bought or sold used, i figured it wasn't a big deal if they're taken care of. Why specifically are you against it?

Just because of the “nasty” factor.

Owenst7

WKR

I was worried about that going in to it, but I think a lot of people decide that they are going to try backpacking, go out and buy all "the best" equipment out there, and then never use it. 10 years later, they realize they never really got into the activity and sell their stuff for cheap. The McNett down wash that WM recommends is super effective and has even removed bacon grease stains from my bags, which is something I've never been able to get out of my nice dress shirts I use for work haha.

There's got to be a term for that-like the average yuppie that drops $1000 at the Berkeley REI because their friend invited them to go camping in Tahoe for the weekend, and they never use the stuff again. You see them a lot here during the summer in the Eastern Sierras. They're always from the Bay Area and have brand new expensive hiking shoes. They'll tell you that "all the modern backpackers are wearing lightweight shoes" when you see them on the way in...and they'll end up using the Leukotape that's been around your lighter for a year that you never use.

Last edited:
OP
J

JMarbs

FNG
I was worried about that going in to it, but I think a lot of people decide that they are going to try backpacking, go out and buy all "the best" equipment out there, and then never use it. 10 years later, they realize they never really got into the activity and sell their stuff for cheap. The McNett down wash that WM recommends is super effective and has even removed bacon grease stains from my bags, which is something I've never been able to get out of my nice dress shirts I use for work haha.

There's got to be a term for that-like the average yuppie that drops $1000 at the Berkeley REI because their friend invited them to go camping in Tahoe for the weekend, and they never use the stuff again. You see them a lot here during the summer in the Eastern Sierras. They're always from the Bay Area and have brand new expensive hiking shoes. They'll tell you that "all the modern backpackers are wearing lightweight shoes" when you see them on the way in...and they'll end up using the Leukotape that's been around your lighter for a year that you never use.

Good points! In my head if someone has the money to throw $500+ on a sleeping bag, they're going to take care of it more than the average $30 walmart bag. Personally if I had a high-end bag like WM I'd do everything I could to keep it pristine!

BRWNBR

WKR
Maybe so. I suppose if I only used a bag on one or two trips a year I wouldn’t care. But I sleep in my quilt more than my own bed at home. I’ll spwnd the money and not have any “what if’s” concerning what has happened to my gear.

Question for quilt users:

Are you laying directly on the pad or are you using some sort of pad cover?

Skickat från min G8142 via Tapatalk

Ronb

WKR
Right on the pad. I usually have merino baselayers on, unless is super warm out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Owenst7

WKR
Question for quilt users:

Are you laying directly on the pad or are you using some sort of pad cover?

Skickat från min G8142 via Tapatalk

I use mine in a hammock, but same deal. I usually sleep in whatever clothes I'm going to be wearing to make breakfast. Makes it easier to get my morning started if I'm already dressed.

GotDraw?

WKR
Hah Hah-- Amusing!

If we all continued with that logic, then I wonder what men and women think about their "new" girlfriends and boyfriends then...

Same with hotel rooms.

At least you can wash a down bag and be done with it and feel good about sleeping in it.

JL

BRWNBR

WKR
Well being married to a germaphobe sometimes you live by different logic. No “new” women for me either. Don’t like hotels either.

Besides, that just helps our economy if I’m buying new. Lol

boom

WKR
i dont think i would buy used footwear..

but a bag..hells yes! i would just wash it. then roll around naked in it swishing my legs..just in case i hate it and have to sell it. :D

BRWNBR

WKR
i dont think i would buy used footwear..

but a bag..hells yes! i would just wash it. then roll around naked in it swishing my legs..just in case i hate it and have to sell it. :D

Seeeeee!!!!!! LOl

Squirrels

WKR
Anyone have experience with the underground quilts bandit?

Anyone have experience with the underground quilts bandit?

I dont but Viam Outdoors makes a great quilt in same price range and the owner will work with you for exactly what you want . I had him do a sewn foot box on a 20* quilt , i told him my feet get cold . He made the foot box with a
10* rating without me asking and its amazing. Stuff sack included as well

Squirrels

WKR
I dont but Viam Outdoors makes a great quilt in same price range and the owner will work with you for exactly what you want . I had him do a sewn foot box on a 20* quilt , i told him my feet get cold . He made the foot box with a
10* rating without me asking and its amazing. Stuff sack included as well

Don’t see down quilts on there site. Only apex.