Bag/Quilt Recommendation

JMarbs

FNG
I need some help.. I've never owned anything more than a Coleman car camping bag.. I've found a few bags and quilt that have peaked my interest. I was hoping I could get some advice! Here's two that I'm leaning towards, BUT i'm up for suggestion.

1. Used EE Convert 20 degree quilt/bag, size regular/slim, 2 years old.

2. NEW Marmot 20°F Kenosha Down Sleeping Bag - 650 Fill Power, Mummy
https://www.sierratradingpost.com/m...sleeping-bag/specdataor~insulation type!down/

3. Any other recommendations? I'm loved to be less than $250.

Thanks!!

Ronb

WKR
EE revelation. Don’t risk too narrow with a quilt. I’m 5-10 and 175#. Get a wide. You need extra width to tuck around you when it gets cold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grambo

Lil-Rokslider
I have a EE Convert Wide /Long 10 degree and a Conundrum Wide /Xtra long 0 degree . Love both , light and warm . Easy to pack .Great products and service.

twall13

WKR
I'd agree with the above posts, unless you sleep on your back, don't move around at all in your sleep, and are a really skinny dude, don't go with a narrow quilt.

I don't know as much about the Marmot bag but EE makes great quilts. I typically sleep in a hammock so my use is slightly different but I'd take a look at HammockGear's Econ series of Burrow Quilts as well. I don't know if they would add pad straps or not but they are a phenomenal value. They do weigh an ounce or two more but the pricing, materials, and craftsmanship are all top notch.

I'd look at Mountain Hardware Hyperlamina bags as well. After having a 650 fill bag, I'd go with synthetic over a 650 fill. You get all the downsides of down without the weight benefit.

lkwoolsey

WKR
Marmot makes decent sleeping bags. That said, I much prefer a quilt. I use the Kifaru Doobie unless its below about 15, but, I also very rarely get cold. If you're not hunting somewhere really cold, I'd go with a quilt. They're more comfortable.
If you're hunting in pretty cold places, then a bag might be a better choice since it'll heat more efficiently. Just my 2 cents.

bcopley1116

Lil-Rokslider
I have a an EE revelation 0* x wide, long. I have used it with a liner down in single digit temps and never had an issue. I am 5'10 175lbs and I love the larger quilt because I can wrap and tuck it around me.

GotDraw?

WKR
If you want the best possible input from everyone, I suggest you inform Roksliders what month you'll be hunting, approximately where you'll be hunting and at what elevation you'll be hunting. Also helpful to know if you'll be hammock camping or tenting it. Also helpful to know what pad you plan to use...

Best,

JL

I need some help.. I've never owned anything more than a Coleman car camping bag.. I've found a few bags and quilt that have peaked my interest. I was hoping I could get some advice! Here's two that I'm leaning towards, BUT i'm up for suggestion.

1. Used EE Convert 20 degree quilt/bag, size regular/slim, 2 years old.

2. NEW Marmot 20°F Kenosha Down Sleeping Bag - 650 Fill Power, Mummy
https://www.sierratradingpost.com/m...sleeping-bag/specdataor~insulation type!down/

3. Any other recommendations? I'm loved to be less than $250.

Thanks!!

BRWNBR

WKR
I use my EE 0 degree quilt I use from May till late October in Alaska. I love it. I don’t miss my conventional sleeping bag at all.

wooduckman

Lil-Rokslider
I use my EE 0 degree quilt I use from May till late October in Alaska. I love it. I don’t miss my conventional sleeping bag at all.

This is exactly the route I'm planning on going. EE Revelation 0 degree quilt. Figure I can just use it open as a blanket during the summer and then bundle it up later in the fall during hunting season. I'm hoping the 0 degree will work for basically all seasons. I have a hell of a time sleeping in my mummy bag and hope this quilt solves that.

BRWNBR

WKR
I was timid at first. But man I love it. So glad I went 0
Degree. If I did it over I would go to a colder rating. But I sleep cold anyway. I find my feet are warmer in my quilt than any sleeping bag I ever used. I do need to get new elastic straps for around my sleeping pad, but sometimes I don’t even use them.

boom

WKR
There is a learning curve to a quilt. I’m not there yet. I went to the high desert last weekend. First night was in the 20’s. I tried my 10deg quilt. I was on my wife’s pad. It’s warmer than mine. I didn’t fully understand what the straps were for. I just draped the quilt over me and tucked it in at the sides. I was comfy, till midnight. I woke up cold. Very cold. I got out from the quilt and slipped into my WM 20 deg I had ready. I zipped in and fell asleep warm. The next night it was single digits. I slept in my bag with the quilt over that.

My friend showed me how to setup the quilt. I can’t wait to try again. Just not in single digits. :)

OP
J

JMarbs

FNG
If you want the best possible input from everyone, I suggest you inform Roksliders what month you'll be hunting, approximately where you'll be hunting and at what elevation you'll be hunting. Also helpful to know if you'll be hammock camping or tenting it. Also helpful to know what pad you plan to use...

Best,

JL

Thanks for advice! I'll be hunting CO in September mostly between 9-11k with a tarp as shelter. I'm not sure if I qualify as a cold or hot sleeper. Almost anytime I go to sleep wither at home or camping I go to sleep hot, and wake up chilled.

I'd agree with the above posts, unless you sleep on your back, don't move around at all in your sleep, and are a really skinny dude, don't go with a narrow quilt.

I don't know as much about the Marmot bag but EE makes great quilts. I typically sleep in a hammock so my use is slightly different but I'd take a look at HammockGear's Econ series of Burrow Quilts as well. I don't know if they would add pad straps or not but they are a phenomenal value. They do weigh an ounce or two more but the pricing, materials, and craftsmanship are all top notch.

Hammock Gear sells a kit to convert your quilt to sleeping on the ground with a pad. $5 + shipping

OP
J

JMarbs

FNG
More research done since initial post. Here's my findings [First one is synthetic. The next three are down.]

1. Mountain Hardware Hyper Lamina Flame 20 ($180 or less)
Temp- 20 degree
Weight- 2lbs 7oz
Stuff Size- 7x16

2. REI Co-op Igneo 17 ($300)
Temp- 17
Weight- 1lbs 15oz
Stuff Size- 8x18

3. Feathered Friends Swallow Nano 20 ($430)
Temp- 20
Weight- 1lbs 15oz
Stuff Size- 7x12

4. WM Alpinlite ($570)
Temp- 20
Weight- 1lbs 15oz
Stuff Size- 8x15

My thoughts: Is it worth $200-$400 for 7-9 ounces and 1-3 inches in stuff size. I'm not trying to be cheap, but I just want the most for my money!

More research done since initial post. Here's my findings [First one is synthetic. The next three are down.]

1. Mountain Hardware Hyper Lamina Flame 20 ($180 or less)
Temp- 20 degree
Weight- 2lbs 7oz
Stuff Size- 7x16

2. REI Co-op Igneo 17 ($300)
Temp- 17
Weight- 1lbs 15oz
Stuff Size- 8x18

3. Feathered Friends Swallow Nano 20 ($430)
Temp- 20
Weight- 1lbs 15oz
Stuff Size- 7x12

4. WM Alpinlite ($570)
Temp- 20
Weight- 1lbs 15oz
Stuff Size- 8x15

My thoughts: Is it worth $200-$400 for 7-9 ounces and 1-3 inches in stuff size. I'm not trying to be cheap, but I just want the most for my money!

You get more than just stuff size and weight by going with FF or WM. I have the Alpinlite and a MH Lamina Z Flame 22 degree. The WM is significantly warmer, more comfortable, zipper doesn't snag, and it will likely maintain its loft (warmth) as long as I own it.