Compressible sleeping bags

I am exploring more compressible sleeping bags. I love my mountain hardwear ultralamina 15 (synthetic) but am interested in seeing whats more compressible. I am assuming it will be a down bag, and looking for something in the 5 to 15 degree temp range. Checking out different websites and googling still leaves it ambiguous. Any thing you roksliders like in particular?

Skickat från min G8142 via Tapatalk

Rthur

Lil-Rokslider
Western Mountaineering Badger MF 15.
Very compressible with good loft.

R

Last edited:
I use a Hammock gear 15 degree quilt which compresses really small. I use the factory stuff sack and use a velcro strap i got at Home Depot to really squeeze it down!

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

JMarbs

FNG
Here's some quick research I did that might help:

1. Mountain Hardware Hyper Lamina Flame 20 ($180 or less)
Temp- 20 degree
Weight- 2lbs 7oz
Stuff Size- 7x16

2. REI Co-op Igneo 17 ($300)
Temp- 17
Weight- 1lbs 15oz
Stuff Size- 8x18

3. Feathered Friends Swallow Nano 20 ($430)
Temp- 20
Weight- 1lbs 15oz
Stuff Size- 7x12

4. WM Alpinlite ($570)
Temp- 20
Weight- 1lbs 15oz
Stuff Size- 8x15

To get better stuff size you're gonna have to spend $200-$400 more than your Hyperlamina. You'll be getting better quality, but still only getting 1-4 inches less compressed. However, quilts seem to have a significantly smaller stuff size and typically cost less.

Hope that helps!

OP
S
Good point on the cost. I need a new compression sack. I really like the one I had that came with it but it broke. Anyone used the kifaru compression sack and prefer the compression shape to a regular one?

boom

WKR
Good point on the cost. I need a new compression sack. I really like the one I had that came with it but it broke. Anyone used the kifaru compression sack and prefer the compression shape to a regular one?

i didnt. the K-compression sack was not good for me. i just didnt like it. didnt help that i had to buy it with my slickbag.

i am trying to move away from compression sacks. i want to just try to stuff the sleeping bag into a pack compartment. i seriously wonder if a pocket, just like what a down jacket has...one you turn inside out and simply stuff the sleeping bag in would work? (but then what would i use for my camp pillow? hmm)

OP
S
I use a Hammock gear 15 degree quilt which compresses really small. I use the factory stuff sack and use a velcro strap i got at Home Depot to really squeeze it down!

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk
The quilt idea is interesting. I have been so against it for so long, but now I am reading up on it. Seems smart to start with less material in the first place.

OP
S
i didnt. the K-compression sack was not good for me. i just didnt like it. didnt help that i had to buy it with my slickbag.

i am trying to move away from compression sacks. i want to just try to stuff the sleeping bag into a pack compartment. i seriously wonder if a pocket, just like what a down jacket has...one you turn inside out and simply stuff the sleeping bag in would work? (but then what would i use for my camp pillow? hmm)
I used to just shove it in the bag around harder items to fill in space, but now that I am more concerned about space, I am missing that compression sack. I have a couple that I dont like.

JMarbs

FNG
I am exploring more compressible sleeping bags. I love my mountain hardwear ultralamina 15 (synthetic) but am interested in seeing whats more compressible. I am assuming it will be a down bag, and looking for something in the 5 to 15 degree temp range. Checking out different websites and googling still leaves it ambiguous. Any thing you roksliders like in particular?

I've been looking into the hyperlamina 20, which i imagine is similar to the ultralamina 15. You have any advice? Has it been a good bag for you?

OP
S
I've been looking into the hyperlamina 20, which i imagine is similar to the ultralamina 15. You have any advice? Has it been a good bag for you?
It has. I have had it since 2009 but didnt use it a whole lot until about 2012 and have been using it steady since. It keeps me warm into the 20s. I am usually not out colder than that often. I think the hyperlamina series is lighter. I would say for a synthetic, it really is a great bag, I am just looking to see if I can push my sleep system even lighter, more compact by going with down. My only complaint on the MH bag is the zipper snags a bit easily. However, it has never irritated me enough to get rid of it. For a 15 degree synthetic at just under 3 lbs, it is a great bag.

OP
S
I will add a caveat as I am in the midst of researching all this: I sleep in my clothes and wear a beanie and fleece hood when its cold, so that is how I am judging the MH bag in terms of temps.

If there is a better compression sack out there than the 5 string Kifaru, I'd like to know about it...cause I doubt there is. I can get my slick bag pretty damn small/skinny with the 5 string and that makes packing it very convenient.

OP
S
If there is a better compression sack out there than the 5 string Kifaru, I'd like to know about it...cause I doubt there is. I can get my slick bag pretty damn small/skinny with the 5 string and that makes packing it very convenient.
Good to know. I assume the material is breathable, so air goes out when you crank on the straps? Maybe my problem in general is by using the word "crank", it signifies I should be more careful with my gear...

I'd use the word "crank" to describe how I pull the strings on my compression sack, I pull them as tight as they'll go. And yes, all the air can easily escape.

OP
S
Thanks for your input! I dont want to break another compression strap,

OP
S
This is the MH ultralamina 15 in my summer bag's compression sack. Am I being too optimistic in hoping for more compression out of a 15 degree bag?
b01d835e92188047255ab35fdab938f2.jpg
712a56213efd58e035ea82cd4b4e7521.jpg