Shelter help

Autonamic

FNG
Tipi help

Looking at getting my first floorless shelter... 4 man Tipi from SO. Will be used probably 50% two people 50% solo. All seasons. Stove occasionally. Always backpacking in. For those with experience in these situations i'd love to hear your thoughts on this shelter or similar.

1. Enough room for two + gear? ever felt like you should've went with a 6 man for more room with minimal weight penalty?
2. For those who've used both a pyramid and a tipi style. What are your conclusions? Do tipis REALLY kick that much more wind than a Pyramid where its a serious concern? Why do you like one over the other?

Honestly mostly concerned with standing height (I'm about 6')...and of course weight. I really like the idea of being able to walk/stand in the shelter comfortably.

Thanks !

Last edited:

KurtR

WKR
I ran the cimaron with two people and stove this year and never needed more room i am 6'1. The four man would be a palace i would think

KurtR

WKR
not straight up and that is with a little gap at the bottom to help with the condensation. It was enough to be able to put my pants on. But with the 4 man you will be able to it is 10 inches taller than the cimaron. We had all our gear in there with room to still cook.

I had a 4-man. Nice size but I sold it to get a 6-man.

I'm; 6'3" and could stand in the 4-man right up against the pole, my head touching the fabric. Not a great stand, but standing. The 6-man gave me the room I wanted, then I added a Silvertip for times the 6 is more than I want to carry.

Here's a pic of the 4-man. it was a few years back when the tan 70d fabric was an option.

3xD6qZY.jpg

My 4-man was the older style with 10 panels, and 20 perimeter stake loops.

I believe the current pattern is 8-panel with 16 perimeter loops, so a little lighter, but still really a well anchored tipi.

IMO For the small weight penalty, I'd rather have a 6 man. It was perfect for two of us and allowed us to keep all of our gear inside. Allowed plenty of room for stove and wood too.

Mine is not a seek outside. BPWD luna 6.

Attachments

• 20150429_183702.jpg
    20150429_183702.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 114

Grambo

Lil-Rokslider
I've got a SO Redcliff . 2 guys , gear , stove , wood , etc. is very roomy . I'm 6' and have plenty of room to stand and dress . Not to heavy either . I pack the tent and liner(s) and partner packs the xl titanium stove . Works awesome .

SO Redcliff here too. 3 guys. 6’5, 6’4 and 6’2. All of our gear, stove and wood. We had all the room we needed. I will NEVER sleep in a tent again if I don’t absolutely have to. Being able to stand is a game changer.
364416e64394fab53d1b4ca5378775b1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
A

Autonamic

FNG
Thanks for all the pics. Super helpful. The 6 man really looks like there's more 'liveable' space.

I would strongly advise looking at the kifaru sawtooth for your needs. Look at kifaru shelters in general. Aron did a video on kifaru and SO fabrics and you wont regret going the kifaru route. Its been debated on this site several times but kifaru fabric is superior to SO. I have no doubt that SO would perform very well but kifaru is worth the look.

ianpadron

WKR
Have you ever had SO fabric fail?

My old Cimarron lasted a full night in 70mph gusts, stakes literally ripping out of the ground...and showed no signs of wear whatsoever. My Supertarp on the other hand...has thread holes that have expanded after less than a season of use...

I still have yet to see or hear any real world feedback of Kifaru's fabric being superior. And I love my Kifaru stuff!

I received SO fabric and kifaru fabric. There is a difference. The kifaru fabric is noticeably stronger. Would SO do just fine in most situations? more than likely. All I was saying was to give kifaru a look.

When deciding which size to get, double what you expect. A 4 man holds 2 with gear, but when you add a stash of wood and stove you begin to crowd your space. A 6 man will hold 2 guys, all their gear, stove and enough wood to last days w/o crowding.

Trial153

WKR
Both are great company’s and shelters . If there is a measure-able difference I would like to see it because I haven’t.