Big Agnes/NorthFace/Other Bags

jmz82

FNG
I have a cheap amazon featherlite 0 degree bag that I get cold in if it drops below 30. I'm thinking I wan't to switch to something that is a little better quality, down, and probably 0 degree. I have an opportunity to get a decent deal on some Big Agnes bags and a North Face but have never really heard much about their bags, anyone run one, worth considering or should I look another direction?

JD619er

WKR
I have a big Agnes spike lake 15 down bag. Love it! It's my first down bag so I can't compare it to others but it's downtek and dwr coated and I slept a week in it in Montana last year with a lot and I mean a lot of condensation in our tipi. The high winds has it misting inside and my bag never lost loft and my feet were sweating and it was 20 degrees at night. It's not the lightest at 2lb 8oz I think? But still decent enough and costs less than 200$ I believe

All of the mountaineering company bags are going to be better quality, but they may just be lighter and smaller than your Ledge at the same temp rating, rather than any warmer.

What is the rest of your sleep system? I have the Ledge Ultralight 45 as a summer bag, and have slept warm enough in it down to the high 40’s naked in a tent with a crappy foam thermarest pad, and in a hammock with a base layer and light beanie.

With one of my better inflatable pads and a beanie, I’m sure I would be fine down to freezing in a tent.

I also got the Ledge Ultralight 20 degree for my wife, but she hasn’t used it yet.

rklein

Lil-Rokslider
I've been running big agnes system bags for years backpacking and kayaking/rafting. I love them and are my personal favorite. For backcountry hunts(in September) I am currently running a Mountain Hardwear phantom 32 and while I love the bag and the weight its just not as comfortable. I love not sliding off my pad with the BA system bags, but they don't make anything close to the weight of the phantom 32. My -5 degree BA bag is my go to for winter camping trips down to -10 or so. When paired with the thermarest neoair x therm I sleep like a baby.

I'll echo the thoughts of Gatorgrizz, most of the mountaineering company bags are going to be better quality, but I've gotten along just fine with the BA bags, and sleep better in them than anything else.