Opinions on enlightened equipment quilt

Rsully661

Lil-Rokslider
Going full light weight backpacking next year.
Completely upgraded all my equipment, only item left is a sleeping bag. Been looking at the EE quilts specifically the convert 10 degree quilt with 900 down tek fill.
What type of weather will it truly handle, figure I could get to low teens with the neo air by therma rest and also up to the 40s if I need to? As for quality are they good and is there a better option for versatility, weight cost weather quality ect. Trying to go a one option fits all deal if that’s possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seth1913

Lil-Rokslider
I have no experience with the EE quilts but I’ve read a lot of good reviews on them. I have a Hammock Gear burrow 20 deg and it handles mid 20’s perfect. I’d say I sleep at average temp. Not hot but don’t get cold easy either. With that being I would say EE is equal in performance based on reviews

ljalberta

WKR
I currently have a 10* Revelation. I have also had a 20* of the same variety. I have slept on both the Xtherm (5.7 R Value) and a Prolite Plus (3.4 R Value) with it. The Xtherm is amazing, the Prolite Plus I can begin to feel the chill on the pad as it hits passes freezing. Temp's have ranged from the mid 20's to 60's. I will say, quilts are about as good as they get for the 1 option fits it all sort of deal. However, I still don't think any one option fits all sort of bag or quilt will excel in all situations.

My personal finding are this. I wish EE put a little more down in their quilts. They have since increased the amount by 5% and now also offer the option of having the lower temperature amount of down in higher temperature baffles. This isn't required, however I prefer not to have to mess around with distributing the down to get rid of cold spots. This helps negate that. I also would recommend going down 10* from your actual expected lowest temperature. I was comfy on the Xtherm in the mid 20s with the 10* quilt, wearing only a thin merino base layer and touque, however I'm not sure I would be warm at 10*. I could feel the chill, and wasn't comfortable using the 20* and the Prolite Plus pad in same temperatures. As for falling asleep when it was 60* out, well i threw off most of the quilt and lightly draped it across me. As it cooled off, I could pull more on. The 20-40* was the sweet spot for comfort for my 10* quilt this year.

If I was expecting low teens, I would prefer a 0* quilt, or at least a 10*, but over-stuffed to 0*. Plus I would take a warm pad. Using a 10* I would probably end up sleeping in additional insulating layers. Love the quilts though!

YMMV.

bcopley1116

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 0* revelation quilt that I have used about a year now and I really like it. I have used it during the spring in temps in the mid 50's and used it this November in Colorado in single digit temps. I performed very well. It is light and very packable. I suggest upsizing if you buy one. I'm 5'10 175 and I ordered a xwide long. By getting a bigger size you can wrap up in it if it is really cold.

BRWNBR

WKR
I have the 0 degree EE quilt and a neo air. Sooo glad I went 0. Would go -10 next time. Easy to draft and cool down with a quilt so why get a warmer weather rated one? It’s a couple ounces. Get one that will serve you in the cold weather.
I do have plans to change my neo to the warmer version soon.

FURMAN

WKR
I have a zero degree EE. I will never go back to a mummy. I have slept in it down to about 15F and up to about 50F. I was warm in the 15 degree weather and when it was warmer out I just let it breathe a little. I am a cold sleeper so I doubt anyone would have a problem with the 0 degree bag. I always have down jacket/pants so if it did get colder and I needed extra warmth I would just put the down on.

OP
R

Rsully661

Lil-Rokslider
Thankyou all for the response, going to order the zero degree. Like most have mentioned if it gets to cold just out on some merino thermals.
One last question!
The down tek fill, standard is 850 but there’s a 900 option and 950. What are the benefits and what have you been running?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ljalberta

WKR
I run 850. Only advantage is slightly lighter weight if you go with the higher fill. I will say, the duck down (850) can occasionally have a 'ducky' smell. Out of the three 850 duck down quilts my wife and I have recieved, 2 smelled like absolutely nothing, and one had the slight, but funky smell. It has since disappeared after a seasons use.

FURMAN

WKR
I have the 850 downtek 0 regular wide. I am 5'10". I do think the long would be better but didn't want the extra 2oz. I just wear a beanie to sleep.

I think you will be happy. I purchased a 30* revelation off the classifieds to try. I found the temperature rating to be very accurate for me. That quilt was shifted to my wife and I ordered a longer 10* revelation for myself. I also got it in a wide. I can tuck my youngest against me when warranted and enjoy the luxury when on hunting trips etc. I would recommend bumping up length or width if you think you're close to the edge on sizing.

I've spent quite a few comfortable nights between 12* and 16* but haven't quite reached the rating of my 10* quilt so that temp rating seems good for me too.

I will disagree a bit with what some other guys have said though. If I'm sleeping in warmer weather, I can only go 35 maybe 40 degrees warmer than the temp rating and I just get too warm. Even when only draping the quilt over my torso and lying there like a starfish wearing boxers.

boom

WKR
i have the 10 Rev quilt. it is built nice. super light, very lofty.

i froze my ASS @ 19 degs a few weekends ago. while i was laying there NOT sleeping, it allowed me the time to ponder what those two straps floating around my tent was for. i had my friend show me what he was doing, since he was sleeping soundly. i got it now. makes total sense :) i'll try again in a few weeks.

i have the 10 Rev quilt. it is built nice. super light, very lofty.

i froze my ASS @ 19 degs a few weekends ago. while i was laying there NOT sleeping, it allowed me the time to ponder what those two straps floating around my tent was for. i had my friend show me what he was doing, since he was sleeping soundly. i got it now. makes total sense :) i'll try again in a few weeks.

What's that old comedy routine?

"Yeah. When you run into a problem, stop kneeling on that packet with the directions and read them."

I don't think there are a lot of us out there who can claim piety with regard to that sin.

boom

WKR
What's that old comedy routine?

"Yeah. When you run into a problem, stop kneeling on that packet with the directions and read them."

I don't think there are a lot of us out there who can claim piety with regard to that sin.

i exaggerated some for sure. but, yes..that is a GREAT old joke. haha.

i felt pretty warm at the get go. just draping and tucking. it's just later when i moved some in my sleep. :)

I use a liner with my quilt to help keep it clean when I'm hunting or camping and accumulating funk. I think that it helps as far as drafts and adds a few degrees of warmth too.

I only use my straps when it's getting cooler, below freezing.

wooduckman

Lil-Rokslider
I'm getting ready to place an order for a 0 degree Revelation, but the one thing I'm unsure of are the 20D weather resistant stripes. Can someone tell me what these are and their purpose? I've looked all over the website, but can't find a description or pictures.

ljalberta

WKR
From their website:

What are the Weather Resistant Stripes?

If you’re frequently dealing with condensation on your tent walls and from your breath, the 20D weather resistant stripes can offer some additional moisture resistance at the head and foot of the quilt (as compared to the 10D fabric). This combined with a 10D selection for the shell adds approximately 1 oz of weight vs 2 oz for selecting 20D fabric for the whole shell of the quilt.

VernAK

WKR
I bought the 20F Convert Wide and Long [I'm 5-10" and 200 pounds]......My primary use is canoe trips and lake trout camp near the Arctic Circle.

We had frost on teh boat seats a couple times but the quilt was very cozy and comfortable......much more so than struggling in a sleeping bag.

And yes......get em big as the weight difference is nil and the comfort and versatility is worth it.

I still use a -30F mummy for later hunts where temps have fallen to -20F.