Seek Outside Cimarron

mkelley12

FNG
Has anyone used the Seek Outside Cimarron sleep system with stove. I am looking into switching to this instead of the 1 man big agnes tent. I usually hunt in a group and was thinking this will help save weight and make things easier. Can you fit 3 guys with a stove? It looks like it will be tight but that is fine, a 1 man tent is pretty tight on its own.

Pro and cons of this setup?
we will be in Colorado this year for Elk but probably only used once or twice a year.

thanks

One of my hunting partners had a Cimarron with a stove. It was, and still is, my favorite backcountry hunting setup. He moved to Montana a few years ago, and I have yet to drop the cash on my own Cimarron, but I think about it often. We usually split the weight, I carried the stove and he carried the shelter. He carried a small collapsible bow saw and I brought a small hatchet to supply the stove with wood. Wood prep takes a little time, but is well worth it. There is lots of information and several threads on here about the Cimarron.
I don't think 3 guys and gear could possibly be very comfortable in this shelter with a stove, but I have never tried it so I could be wrong. I don't think you could really go wrong with Cimarron w/stove, but I would stick to 2 guys if you are burning a stove.

colersu22

WKR
I have slept 3 in my Cimarron and it would be possible to run a stove on the side that one person is sleeping but the problem is by the time you have wood for the stove and all your gear in the shelter you flat run out of space. When there was 3 in mine we camped at the road so a lot of gear was still in the truck. If I was going to pack in and have 3 with the stove I would probably bring my DST tarp to put gear that doesn't fit inside the Cimarron under.

If I planned on 3 all the time I would look at the 6 man or the Redcliff but most times it is just me and one other so I have no problem fitting 3 every once in awhile.

I talked to SO when deciding on a 3 person with a stove and the Redcliff was their recommendation. I’m sure you could probably squeeze 3 and a stove into a Cimarron but it would not be comfortable AT ALL, I don’t think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep you can about make anything work . Most people forget to include the wood pile as space and few realize how big that is, especially when its a wet forecast and youre trying to get a pile in there for the whole 5 days to dry out..
The redcliffe with a stove/ wood pile and 3 guys is still gonna be close quarters.
Not cramped, but not real roomy either. Get 2 guys with cots and they often pull even further away from the wall towards the middle.

Heck I use a redcliffe for just me.
I personally feel it is ideal for 3 no doubt, but in a real world where people aren't OCD and organized, 2 guys in the redcliffe with wood pile, stove is perfect.
Each guy has access to the stove and both doors and can stand up together.

Add the 3rd guy, you loose the one door and alternating standing room is a must and getting out at night to pee is a chore for the guy in the back.

It can do 3 yes, but with the stove/wood pile it is ideal for 2.
With all this said, the Cimmaron is even smaller.

Pn8hall

WKR
Pretty much as others have stated it is less than ideal for 3 guys and a stove. I run one currently with 2 guys and a stove. Last year we both had ultralight cots and that really sucks up the space especially with a stash of wood and all your gear. If you ditch the stove you could do 3 guys but will definitely need to keep all your gear nice and tidy so everyone has some room. Its a great shelter and you wont be disappointed if you get one as long as you figure it for 2 people, gear, and stove.

svivian

WKR
I have slept three and a stove with a wood pile for evening and mornings and it wasn't that bad. I did bring my paratarp and we placed our packs and bows in it to keep them dry.

cody6510

Lil-Rokslider
I've ran a cimarron with 3 guys and a stove. It's doable but very tight. I won't be doing it again unless absolutely necessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DWP51

Lil-Rokslider
Echoing the answers above...

I have not had 3 in my Cimarron, but with a stove it would be TIGHT if all 3 had their gear inside. It would help if you had SO add some extra guyout points to the shelter (I wish that I had done it) in order to get a bit more usable vertical space.

I would think about what the primary use for the shelter would be... Is it almost always you or you and 1 other? Or is it almost always going to be 3 hunters? Are you primarily backpacking camp in then hunting from there? Is camp always on your back as you run & gun?

OP
M

mkelley12

FNG
I think for the most part it will be me +1 other guy. We are new to elk hunting so right now its pack in a few miles and set camp up. We will move once or twice if needed. We would like to have a run and gun setup once are a little more experienced. We are going for first rifle again this year in Colorado, the cold nights did bother us last year in our 1 man tents so stove might not even bee needed.

Do you think having 3 guys stove and gear under a separate tent will be tighter than a big Agnes 1u copper spur? That's what i used last year and that felt tight.

Thanks

tommymo

Lil-Rokslider
I have been following this thread, anyone use the cimmeron as a solo shelter for back packing in for a spike camp?

I have been following this thread, anyone use the cimmeron as a solo shelter for back packing in for a spike camp?

ha I solo out of the redcliffe.
I looked at the Cimm and the 4 man.
But decide for the $$ and the minimal weight increase the Redcliffe was the ticket and offered other options if needed.
I back pack in set up camp and hunt from there, and the redcliffe is great. I rarely use guy lines unless it's windy. Tipi sets up in a few minutes. Setting up the stove actually takes longer
:)

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Me and all my hunting buddies (who are on here also) have owned and used the Cimmerons I ended up going to a Hyperlight Mountain gear Ultamid 4 for the weight difference 20 ounces total. The Cimmeron is a great shelter though. You will enjoy it for 2 with a stove and gear but 3 is pushing it.

ZOOvuUy.jpg

r0pkZ5K.jpg

TA2OJ6X.jpg

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved

Yes plenty of times. When we hunt we are not good Tipi sharers Id rather be in my own and enjoy my own aroma after 6 days :p

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I did 3 with a stove this year and it sucked, we slept in a C pattern and couldn't move around much at all and had gear outside also, keeping sleeping bags away from the stove took diligence and thus there was a sentiment to not run the stove (even though it was 10f in the morning and frozen boots) which defeats the whole point of the stove! So I'm changing up my setup, if 3 folks are going I'm going big the 8man so there is room to use the stove and thaw stuff without a second thought. For solo/2man lighter mode I'm going to the LBO/vestibule/custom center tarp.

DWP51

Lil-Rokslider
I did 3 with a stove this year and it sucked, we slept in a C pattern and couldn't move around much at all and had gear outside also, keeping sleeping bags away from the stove took diligence and thus there was a sentiment to not run the stove (even though it was 10f in the morning and frozen boots) which defeats the whole point of the stove! So I'm changing up my setup, if 3 folks are going I'm going big the 8man so there is room to use the stove and thaw stuff without a second thought. For solo/2man lighter mode I'm going to the LBO/vestibule/custom center tarp.

Sounds about right... 3 with stove plus all gear calls for an 8 man for me as well.

DWP51

Lil-Rokslider
Most of my time in my Cimarron has been packing in solo and setting up camp, then day hunting out from there. With and without the stove. For me the extra room is worth it, especially when the stove is along. It makes prepping for a few days a one time affair. I get all of my firewood squared away inside and lay out my gear for quick easy egress in the mornings. If condensation is an issue (on occasion here in Washington it is) it takes dealing with it easier for me.

I picked up a DST tarp going forward and I will use it for a ton of purposes... possible gear storage, spending a night out if I find the critters really far away from camp, keeping meat clean while breaking down, emergency shelter, glassing shelter, etc...

For the way I usually hunt this system will afford me all kinds of options, and we all know a successful harvest can largely depend on adjusting to the variables and conditions that we encounter.

I want to add a tipi (8 man or 12 man) for family camping and the occasional larger party hunt in the backcountry.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Sounds about right... 3 with stove plus all gear calls for an 8 man for me as well.

Yep and even 2 of us when we're going to have a stationary back country camp I'll carry the extra few pounds for ample space. Once I made that decision the Cimarron lost a spot in my lineup since the LBO serves the same purpose I'd now use the Cimarron for (solo/2 in lighter mode) but packs smaller and can pitch off a single trekking pole (with short/light extension). If for some reason I need to go light with more room (2 guys with some room to move) a center tarp and 2 trekking poles will set that up. That won't buck wind as good for the space but that's really the only compromise I envision.