LO stove spark arrestor - how does it install?

Just got a LO stove and a spark arrestor but I’m not sure how to install the arrestor. Lol! My guess is that the ring sits above the damper in the stove pipe, resting on the shaft for the damper; and that the arrestor then sits on top of that ring? If so, does the mesh dome go up or face down like a cup?

This thing has caused me more grief than assembling the rest of the stove and baffle! Lol!

3059456b33db848233db208172e70358.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't need the ring with that arrestor.
Install the arrestor so the screen mesh sits on top of your baffle in the stove body, and the metal ring part of that arrestor sits in the stove pipe.

Install the arrestor so the screen mesh sits on top of your baffle in the stove body, and the metal ring part of that arrestor sits in the stove pipe.
Here's how I did mine..
b176b87dbe2ae7609bc900cd0faeea43.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

OP
BrushyHillGuide

What if I’m not using the baffle in the stove body? Initially I thought it would go into the stove pipe hole and, then, the stove pipe would fit into the ring built onto the arrestor. But that doesn’t work - the arrestor slips though the stove pipe hole in the stove body. However, the arrestor fits PERFECTLY inside the stove pipe. The only way (that I can see) to keep it from dropping into the stove, though, would be to place it above the stove pipe damper; and then it would have to be placed in there like a dome to allow the damper to rotate underneath it.

I set mine up just like I showed you in my pic. Baffle or not. It doesn't fall off. This is per Brenden at LO.

I set mine up just like I showed you in my pic. Baffle or not. It doesn't fall off. This is per Brenden at LO.

edit*
I am sure you could go above the dampener too.. The idea is to keep it close to the embers trying to get up the pipe and break them a part before they get too far along in their escape route.

OP
BrushyHillGuide

edit*
I am sure you could go above the dampener too.. The idea is to keep it close to the embers trying to get up the pipe and break them a part before they get too far along in their escape route.

I didn’t see your picture earlier. Stupid Tapatalk. Lol. Sorry. From your initial description I misunderstood. Really appreciate your help! Thanks so much!

gudspelr

Lil-Rokslider
I built my own, but got some parts from LO. I install mine just like is pictured above and it doesn’t fall out of the stove pipe. Ive only had one issue and that was when I was burning some fairly wet pine. The screen actually got a little clogged and I had to use a stick to rake across it. Once it was cleared up a bit and the fire got good and hot, there was no issue. But as mentioned already, you can place it above the damper or even at the top if you wanted to. The ring can be used for the opposite end to help hold the correct diameter. Another reason I liked it st the bottom was I’d heard the closer to the heat source, the more likely any gunk would be burned off the screen of the arrestor.

Jeremy

I built my own, but got some parts from LO. I install mine just like is pictured above and it doesn’t fall out of the stove pipe. Ive only had one issue and that was when I was burning some fairly wet pine. The screen actually got a little clogged and I had to use a stick to rake across it. Once it was cleared up a bit and the fire got good and hot, there was no issue. But as mentioned already, you can place it above the damper or even at the top if you wanted to. The ring can be used for the opposite end to help hold the correct diameter. Another reason I liked it st the bottom was I’d heard the closer to the heat source, the more likely any gunk would be burned off the screen of the arrestor.

Jeremy

Yes if you can keep the screen in the main heat source it will stay cleaner longer.
One of my winter hunts, I installed it near the top and it got plugged up, I got smoked out, I was miserable.

Keep it in the stove body for best results.

530Chukar

WKR
Install like in the picture. If it is loose still just slide the bottom pipe cable down further until there is enough tension on it that it won't fall out.

OP
BrushyHillGuide
Right after mfllood3800 got me squared away, Brennan from LO called me (regarding something else) and he confirmed everything mfllood3800 has said throughout this thread! Lol! Jus goes to show the quality of the information that’s found on RS! Thanks again mfllood3800!

AustinL911

Lil-Rokslider
I installed it in the top of the pipe and it nearly plugged off with creosote. I'll be installing it in the bottom from now on in hopes to burn some of it off.