Cabelas Tent Design for Base Camp?

TXCO

WKR
Im in the market for a new tent for base camp at the truck or via horse. I figured a 6 man would be good enough for 2-3 people and a dog. Ive been trying to find the cabelas alaskan guide with aluminum poles based on all the positive reviews here and else where but they only sell fiberglass now. The newer version "Instinct" with aluminum poles has a different pole configuration than the original geo dome. It looks like a better floor layout but that it could catch and hold some wind on the sides? The outfitter version looks even beefier with an extra support pole, material and the stove jack option but 2x the weight for the same basic square footage. Thoughts?

Geo.jpg
Instinct.jpg
Outfitter.jpg

Im in the market for a new tent for base camp at the truck or via horse. I figured a 6 man would be good enough for 2-3 people and a dog. Ive been trying to find the cabelas alaskan guide with aluminum poles based on all the positive reviews here and else where but they only sell fiberglass now. The newer version "Instinct" with aluminum poles has a different pole configuration than the original geo dome. It looks like a better floor layout but that it could catch and hold some wind on the sides? The outfitter version looks even beefier with an extra support pole, material and the stove jack option but 2x the weight for the same basic square footage. Thoughts?

View attachment 66345
View attachment 66346
View attachment 66347
Lots of people do floorless teepees. I have a 12x12 Montana canvas teepee with a floor which was branded via Cabelas with 3 foot side walls and works for me as a basecamp. Its not actually canvas so it's lighter but i wouldnt want to pack it in.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

OP
TXCO

TXCO

WKR
Lots of people do floorless teepees. I have a 12x12 Montana canvas teepee with a floor which was branded via Cabelas with 3 foot side walls and works for me as a basecamp. Its not actually canvas so it's lighter but i wouldnt want to pack it in.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

Good call. I like a tarp for my solo trips but my wife likes the security of "zipping out the bugs" when she comes along.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tyler Beck

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
I think what COLOelkman is reffering to is the Montana Canvas Spike Tent.

This is available with a 3' sidewall in the 10x10 size and a 4'6" sidewall in the 12x12. Both are available in a 10oz Canvas, Relite - a lightweight synthetic material comparable in strength and durability to canvas or a Blend - Canvas roof and Relite side walls and doors. A front screen door, 3 windows, a sewn-in floor, aluminum frame, and stove jack are all standard.

If you are interested, give us a call here at the Wall Tent Shop 800-234-1150 or take a look at this link. Montana Canvas Spike Tent

Nuke Man

WKR
Just for a tent at the truck a cheapo works just fine. I used a big 6 man Coleman. Worked good. Even stood up to some of the highest winds I've ever experienced when I used it in Montana. I think it's called a Red Canyon or something like that

I have the instinct outfitter tent, the original version, 10x14. Love love love the tent. I can fit 4 guys on cots, stove, and gear. Ive used it the last 2 years up here in Alaska for my moose and caribou hunts. Holds up very well to wind, lots of head room, and love the double layer of protection with the rain fly. Huge vestibules. The newer versions have fixed the 2 small issues i have had with my tent. The 10x10 will fit 2 people very well. The 12x16 will fit 4 maybe 5 on cots. Your wife will be happy with either option. The guide tents are very popular up here in Alaska. Lots of people use them for their base camp on fly out hunts or just hunting in general. Only reason i didnt go guide tent route was i wanted the option to use a stove for cold late fall moose hunts. I use atvs so weight wasnt a huge issue for me.

OP
TXCO

TXCO

WKR
I have the instinct outfitter tent, the original version, 10x14. Love love love the tent. I can fit 4 guys on cots, stove, and gear. Ive used it the last 2 years up here in Alaska for my moose and caribou hunts. Holds up very well to wind, lots of head room, and love the double layer of protection with the rain fly. Huge vestibules. The newer versions have fixed the 2 small issues i have had with my tent. The 10x10 will fit 2 people very well. The 12x16 will fit 4 maybe 5 on cots. Your wife will be happy with either option. The guide tents are very popular up here in Alaska. Lots of people use them for their base camp on fly out hunts or just hunting in general. Only reason i didnt go guide tent route was i wanted the option to use a stove for cold late fall moose hunts. I use atvs so weight wasnt a huge issue for me.

Thanks. I probably would do the original guide tent if I found aluminum poles. Having the stove jack on the outfitter version is real nice touch.

LaHunter

WKR
The usable floor space in the instinct outfitter tent is much better than the Alaskan guide. I have the 10X10 instinct and used it in WY in 2016. It held up great to some extreme wind for several days.

Brendan

WKR
Good call. I like a tarp for my solo trips but my wife likes the security of "zipping out the bugs" when she comes along.

Depends on your budget - but you could do a seek outside 8/12 man tipi, with a half nest. Gives you flexibility of a floorless shelter, stove jack, and the option to have a portion of it with a floor and screen...

Diesel

WKR
We used the 8 man alaskan guide years ago and it was amazingly sturdy. 6 man is too small, 8 was good for two of us with gear inside.

I think the instinct guide tent is the way to go, especially with the stove option, the wife will really appreciate that warmth.

Beendare

WKR
I have a tent similar to that Montant center pole....the Davis Herder pictured on an early season archery elk hunt
elk camp second red.jpg

Its OK for one guy...and so so for 2. A bit of a pain with the center pole and the slope of the roof cuts effective floor space.

If I had a do over I would just do a small 10x12 or 10x14 wall tent with Alu internal frame- no question the best base camp tent, IMO

BRWNBR

WKR
I’ve used the csbelas xwt but it’s only in a 10x10 now. To tight for three cots. The 12x12 was awesome. The cabelas 6 man xwt will fit three cots and is much lighter. Figure a 12x12 foot print should fit you guys comfortably. Standing up in it is a huge plus. I have no woood where I use it so a stove jack means nothing to me.

OP
TXCO

TXCO

WKR
The usable floor space in the instinct outfitter tent is much better than the Alaskan guide. I have the 10X10 instinct and used it in WY in 2016. It held up great to some extreme wind for several days.

Was it the outfitter or regular version?

LaHunter

WKR
Was it the outfitter or regular version?

It was the outfitter with the stove jack. It's a great tent, if that's the type of tent you are looking for. A wall tent is unbeatable for a base camp however. I used mine solo, so I had plenty of room.

I definitely agree with above posters, the layout (hotdog) style of the instict/outfitter has much better usable space compared to the guide tents. Guide tents are true and proven though. My dad has the 8 person guide xwt and it is definitely a great tent. We used his until i got the outfitter, and in his guide tent we had to layout 4 people lined up in the center of tent. Made it annoying moving around the tent. In my outfitter you can line people up on the long sides and have a really nice walkway down the center of tent. We used a mr. Buddy heater in my dads guide tent and it did great. Useing a wood stove in my outfitter is pretty nice though haha.

Cdpp880

WKR
I have the 10x14 instinct outfitters tent and really like the lay out with the exception of the stove jack location. Not a horrible location I just wish it was in a different spot. I have never used an Alaskan guide tent but have used similar shaped tents and they just seem to leave a lot of unusable space in the corners. I was able to save almost 8pounds off of the instinct outfitters tent by replacing the very robust metal stakes with the big plastic ones. Along with changing out the heavy thick guyouts with lighter dyneme rope.