So lbo

gabenzeke

WKR
Looking at this shelter on gohunt since I have some points in the gear shop. The questions I have are is this really sufficient for 2 guys with a stove? Could you still fit gear? And is it really the same weight as the silvertip given that it is larger?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
Two guys in which configuration? Base- base, yes. Base- vestibule with no stove. Base- tarp-vestibule or base is a palace.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
You could fit two guys in a base-vestibule setup, but it would be tight and gear would need to be outside.

OP
G

gabenzeke

WKR
Sorry, I meant base/vestibule and stove. Seems far fetched. Anyone have thoughts on the weight?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Napperm4

WKR
If the second person doesn’t mind a little cuddling I can fit myself and fiancé and Bernese mountain dog in the base / vestibule / nest with the stove and all of our gear.

I’ve also fit 2 guys in with base vestibule and stove but it is tight.

For reference I’m 6’ and 215 lbs. my brother that I split with most is 5’9” and weighs in around 220. He fits just right cause he’s damn near square . If you stake out the mid points to make a more vertical wall it’s roomy enough to work. We sleep with our heads in the tipi side, gear above us near the walls and angle our feet into the vestibule around the stove with wood packed behind.

We pack really light on gear and it fits minimal wood but enough to get through a night.

My other brother that hunts with me is 6’5” and 280. Needless to say we need the tarp in addition to him for just the 2 of us. With or without the stove.

My preference for 2 or 3 is to run the tarp in between. Only adds 13 oz (my scale) with guylines attached and seam sealed. Turns the place into a palace for 1 or 2.

The base / vestibule comes in right around 30 oz with guylines, seam seal, stove jack for weight. My stove is just shy of 2 lbs.

If it’s a party of 2 and you split the weight you both end up carrying almost nothing. One of us carries a base and the other takes the base/vestibule. One takes the stove pipe and the other the body and plates.

For 3 the extra guy carries the tarp. We all end up under 2 lbs for a great shelter.

Going solo I’m well under 4 lbs with stove. Everything packs up so tiny it can get lost in the pack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
We sleep with our heads in the tipi side, gear above us near the walls and angle our feet into the vestibule around the stove with wood packed behind.

Man that sounds way close for comfort for high loft nylon bags not too far from some hot titanium. How much clearance you working with?

I just tried my LBO at the end of last season we did heads up in top, gear at feet in vestibule and rifles on outside edge of us (misc gear here/there) and cooking stove between. There was some space between us but not titanium stove space, maybe we could have scooted a bit more outboard but sounds TIGHT. We've already experienced how fast a puffy jacket vaporizes when it brushes a hot stove pipe, haha. That usage confirmed to me I wouldn't want to bother not using a tarp extension with the stove in play with 2 folks. Give the stove ample clearance in the vestibule and room to put boots and such around to dry as needed while we're in the main area (the air will still be warm in the tent while its going and our bags are a safe distance away).

Napperm4

WKR
Man that sounds way close for comfort for high loft nylon bags not too far from some hot titanium. How much clearance you working with?

I just tried my LBO at the end of last season we did heads up in top, gear at feet in vestibule and rifles on outside edge of us (misc gear here/there) and cooking stove between. There was some space between us but not titanium stove space, maybe we could have scooted a bit more outboard but sounds TIGHT. We've already experienced how fast a puffy jacket vaporizes when it brushes a hot stove pipe, haha. That usage confirmed to me I wouldn't want to bother not using a tarp extension with the stove in play with 2 folks. Give the stove ample clearance in the vestibule and room to put boots and such around to dry as needed while we're in the main area (the air will still be warm in the tent while its going and our bags are a safe distance away).

Honestly enough room that I haven’t been about my bag on the stove but it’s tight to the wall and I’be thought about condensation. I sleep like a corpse and the footbox on my bag is pretty damn slim so that helps with he risk factor I suppose. Took a little wiggling to find the right angle but I’d say we both have 12” or so between the bags and stove and about 6”-7” between the bag and walls.

I guess it’s fair to say that I put my own stove jack and set it farther back in the vestibule than the stock one which gives a little more forgiveness on foot room. Tons of room if we use the stove baffle and set it way back.

I’m with you, for the extra few ounces we bring the tarp or go base / base. If we are real crazy we each bring our own LBO in whatever set up we like and have our own shelters. At under 4 lbs with a stove, why not?

I was answering the “is it possible” question from the OP. Maybe not clear enough on my disclosure that it’s not preferred 99% of the time given a choice but possible.

Sleeping configuration isn’t usually the problem we run into. Can’t say it’s a lot of fun hiding out in there for a few days of biblical wind and rain. She feels pretty tight by the end of that.

I stalk a lot of your gear build threads. Secretly I’m kind of hoping you smoke your bag on the chimney or stove and start making some nice quilts . I’d be happy to guinea pig the clearance on them for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
According to SO website it makes a considerable difference.
6542dda09950fcd33d0cfbcfabea76cb.jpg

jeffpg

WKR
It does make quite the difference.
I have all the components for every conceivable configuration of the LBO.
It’s a super versatile system.

I would like to try the Redcliff for the increased height though.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The base is wider for sure at the end (its a 4 sided shape where as the vestibule is 3 sided and is narrower at the end) so you don't have to taper in as much in the base as you do in the vestibule.

I stalk a lot of your gear build threads. Secretly I’m kind of hoping you smoke your bag on the chimney or stove and start making some nice quilts . I’d be happy to guinea pig the clearance on them for you.

Haha, don't hold your breath. I personally find silnylon a slippery annoyance to work with, I sent my LBO and some zippers to William to have him sew up the connector tarp I want (I want it a little different). My machines are setup with needles/thread/tension to knock out 500d type projects (which I find much more enjoyable) so it makes more sense for me to spend my time there and keep chipping away at the backlog/occasionally premaking some items.

dog812

WKR
It does make quite the difference.
I have all the components for every conceivable configuration of the LBO.
It’s a super versatile system.

I would like to try the Redcliff for the increased height though.
Ah yeah I get it now.. Didn't think off the square vs triangle

dog812

WKR
Well I had some time today, decided to play with the lbo and stove. Setup my nest.
My stove Jack is in the base, so I had to get creative.
b661af8b3f6558cd3849a96741ee5354.jpg
43f24b705feebbb2064cf87d3cccda42.jpg
5e660ba05a8810a74bd8dba57a5a908f.jpg

Eric Bailey

Lil-Rokslider
I hunted with another guy in an Lbo with a stove three years ago. The space seemed ok, but it was also my first time camping with a hot stove. We both melted parts of our sleeping bags.

Went with a different guy this September. Took the lbo with stove for me to sleep in and us to cook and hang out in. He slept in my fly creek ul2. Was definitely more comfortable.

Have slept with my son in the lbo with a stove and had plenty of room.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Different strokes for different folks but what was immediately apparent to me when I brought a stove along is I don't want to be cramped ever again when planning for a stove, to me/for me its pointless. If I have a stove along I want to use it, if I have to watch every movement of my sleeping bag, don't have space to place my boots (and gloves or such) to dry then I'm going to find it to be a PITA to use. The other thing is I don't want to be near the side wall, what might look good when lying down a sleeping pad is another story when its the foot box of your sleeping bag that's 12" taller and also the wind/snow is trying to flatten out your shelter. Start rubbing on that side wall and your bag gets soaked. When it comes to something like the LBO where you can easily expand the thing I would need a very good reason not to be prepared to do so when wanting 2 folks and a stove such as can't fit the foot print or the weather is too aggressive for it. The cost of the tarp would not factor it what so ever (cheap in the grand scheme) versus damaging gear on the stove or getting wet/cold from sleeping too close to the side wall. Just my personal preference/thought when it comes to size and using a stove.