Backpacking tent VS Tarp

Ive been doing research on a few Big Agnes tents as well as tarps for a few options for my hunts coming up this fall and am looking for pros and cons on tents vs tarps as well as the specific tarps! Anything helps thanks
BA Tiger wall ultralight 2
BA Copper spur HV UL2
BA- Fly creek HV UL2
BA- Scout Plus 2 person- this is the option I am considering most
BA- Deep creek tarp
Onyx UL tarp
Kifaru- sheep tarp
Kifaru- Supertarp

gelton

WKR
Are you hunting solo or with someone? I have the BA copper spur 2 and it definitely isnt a 2 person tent, kinda snug for one. If you are hunting with two people I would suggest something bigger. If you dont plan on using a stove I would definitely go with the BA. If you do then it would be the Supertarp or Sawtooth. Sawtooth if you are bringing more than one person.

I am trying to get my dad to get the sawtooth and I will pack in the BA + a cylinder stove. I will stay in the tent and use the sawtooth for drying clothes.

OP
Boertje_11
The guys I hunt with have solo shelters as well as a kifaru tut and a Cimarron both with stoves so I would run my tent just for myself while hunting but also use it for camping where there would be two of us with no gear.

FlyGuy

WKR
Sheep Tarp is probably too small for what you are trying to do. I use mine for cover from storms, shade for a nap, or extra cover for gear outside my main tent.

Supertarp is a great size for a solo hunt; pretty skinny for 2 though. If you can keep gear outside, and you are very close with (married to) your hunting partner, then it's good for two.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

NYSKIER

WKR
It depends what you feel comfortable in. I myself am a tent guy I run a small two person tent while I know it isn't the lightest it's strong and has kept me nice and comfortable which I feel is extremely important for morale in the backcountry. I do however know guys that are quite the opposite and prefer hammocks and tarps to each there own. Evaluate what think is most important for you ex (Space, weight, protection from elements) then decide

Squirrels

WKR
I’m in the same search as the op and I won’t be running a stove. OP, when looking at some of the tents you mentioned keep in mind side entry doors vs single rear entry doors

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It depends what season, location, and game you're hunting. Later season without a stove a tent is better. If you're hunting archery then I'd say a tarp. I roll with a tarp for the simplicity of tear down in the mornings and not having to get out a tent in the middle of the night to pee. But if you're hunting mulies above treeline(windy) early season then a tent for sure. Lots of factors to consider.

Gumbo

WKR
I like tents personally, and the ability to run a Hilleberg without the inner tent is great (I'm not sure they can all do that). I can leave the inner tent of a 4-season tent at home when it is nice and save a pound or two and then use the inner for late seasons. It isn't the lightest option but it is versatile and bomb-proof. I do use the footprint too in non-inner tent mode.

Beendare

WKR
Boer,
If you search these forums you will find a lot of info.

I've been doing the backcountry thing for over 30 years and used just about every system. My take; With something like the Henry Shires Tarptents so light for a full system....I rarely use a tarp anymore.

Summer trips I sometimes use a tarp if it calls for nice weather.

But even on August early season bowhunting trips, my full Tarptent at 2# 4 oz is a no brainer. I want to concentrate on hunting...not keeping my chit dry. Getting into September in the mins...you can get some nasty weather; snow sleet, rain..... and those tarps are like a dingy in the ocean.

Edit: I recommend stepping up from the BA stuff in quality

Last edited:

gelton

WKR
The guys I hunt with have solo shelters as well as a kifaru tut and a Cimarron both with stoves so I would run my tent just for myself while hunting but also use it for camping where there would be two of us with no gear.

If thats the case I would definitely go with a tent, however, unless you are REALLY close friends or two really small dudes the BA Copper Spur UL 2 will be too small even if camping with no gear.

sojourner

Lil-Rokslider
I think you'd really want a 3 man tent if you are going to be sleeping in it with a buddy. I've been really happy with my BA Fly Creek UL3. It is just so easy to set up/take down and pretty light too. You can set it up without the inner tent to save weight and its really not too heavy to begin with. If it a longer trip and you are expecting that you may be weathered in at times I'd look for something bigger because I wouldn't want to be stuck in it with a buddy all day.

ianpadron

WKR
Man 2# is crazy, how's that bad boy do in the wind. Obviously it isn't a Hilleberg but if it's tough I can see it as a great option for summer time when the bugs are driving me nuts in my Supertarp.

Smash

Lil-Rokslider
I’m going with a mountain smith mountain shelter. For the price and weight it’s hard to beat.

OP
Boertje_11
Thanks guys this has all been super helpful information- I am going to continue my search and keep looking for what seems like a good fit for what I am looking for- Ideally I would run a Hilleberg but I am not ready to shell out big cash for one yet as I am young and hardy (or think I am)

dog812

WKR
You can always do a tipi as well, inner if you need it. Stove later in the season.. I picked up a inner from China and was playing with it yesterday. Lots of room for two. Tons solo. The lbo on its own is 2#. The inner another 1#. Could fit two inners.
Lbo, inner, pole, pegs, stove all under 6#
9e4ecb87bc5084974ecf3bdd1463de06.jpg
b29f828d1709bd8e0f406977364299d6.jpg
552b0d9db3a1d53817a2569cc09b9dc5.jpg