EE Quilt, no exp

Oldffemt

WKR
I’m thinking of ordering a quilt. Always used a synth bag previously. What is the difference in the fill weights? Also, I’m 6’2” and 230lbs and flop like a fish when I sleep, do I need long/wide? This site is helping me spend lots of $$$, please help me do it wisely!
Thanks all

Yes, definitely long/wide, maybe even a custom extra wide. The difference in fill is basically, higher fill number = greater loft and less wt., but also more $. I suggest just calling Tim, I'm sure he'll steer you in the right direction.

BRWNBR

WKR
I went from synthetic bag to an EE quilt as well. My kids use my bags now.

Squirrels

WKR
I’m thinking of ordering a quilt. Always used a synth bag previously. What is the difference in the fill weights? Also, I’m 6’2” and 230lbs and flop like a fish when I sleep, do I need long/wide? This site is helping me spend lots of $$$, please help me do it wisely!
Thanks all

Just a suggestion, at least look at UGQ Outdoors Bandit series quilts before you make a purchase.

Scrappy

WKR
Econ series from hammock gear is a bit cheaper. I bought the 10 degree quilt with the snap together footbox so I can use it year round. I got into to unexpected cold weather down into the low teens, with some extra layers on i was good to go. They are using treated duck down instead of goose to cut the cost. I'm definitely happy with it and saved some money to boot.

Hunt4lyf

Lil-Rokslider
I'm the same size as you, flip around a lot and use a long/wide and it's fine, just use the straps under your mat like you're supposed to.

Definitely go long/wide, but I don't think it is money well-spent to go above 850 fill power down on EE. It just means how lofted the down is, so if you go to a higher fill power down you will get the same warmth for less weight. If you were talking about upgrading from 600 to 700 or even 700 to 800 then I may recommend it, but 850 down is already a very high grade. Once you go passed 800 fill you are talking major $ for not much weight dropped. Just my 2 cents.

Squirrels

WKR
Definitely go long/wide, but I don't think it is money well-spent to go above 850 fill power down on EE. It just means how lofted the down is, so if you go to a higher fill power down you will get the same warmth for less weight. If you were talking about upgrading from 600 to 700 or even 700 to 800 then I may recommend it, but 850 down is already a very high grade. Once you go passed 800 fill you are talking major $ for not much weight dropped. Just my 2 cents.

Spot on! UGQ 10 degree long,wide can be had for $225 (less if you opt for a snap foot box).

efnm

WKR
I agree that the better loft isn't worth it; even with the regular loft you will probably be impressed with how well it compresses unless you have been running really high-dollar bags in the past.

HOWEVER, as a guy who tosses and turns in his sleep ever hour or sooner I really, really suggest an XWide if you expect to be using this is cold temps and want to prevent yourself from feeling drafts. Also, 20 should be a minimum, I would go for a 10 since you can easily open to vent it if it is warmer out.

OP
O

Oldffemt

WKR
Thanks for all the replies. I’ll definitely check out the other options mentioned before I buy. Good to know on the fill power as well, and I will definitely be getting an extra wide/long. I’ve never had anything resembling a high end bag so I can’t wait to get one and try it out! The weight savings alone should be worth it.
Thanks all

OP
O

Oldffemt

WKR
Ended up ordering a UGQ Bandit 0* long x-wide. I’ll report back when I get it.

EsteemGrinders

Lil-Rokslider
Ended up ordering a UGQ Bandit 0* long x-wide. I’ll report back when I get it.

That 0 deg bag will be very warm sleeping till you hit about 20deg nights. I Sleep hot and use a 40 down to 35 with a base layer on during my Archery Elk hunts but I am in a Hammock with a 30 Under Quilt.
FYI I have 2 UGQ and there are every bit as good as EE IMHO. Did you call UGQ and talk with them about the intended conditions you will be using it. I have found the quilt companies are much better about having truer temp rating the sleeping bags. If you sleep cold the O should be fine but will be much larger packed size then say a 30 or even a 20 deg quilt.

OP
O

Oldffemt

WKR
I did call and talk to Paul. He was very helpful. I sleep really warm so I hope to be able to use it into the later CO and WYO rifle seasons especially with a good insulated pad. It’ll be a huge step up from what I’ve been using, that’s for sure. I may end up buying a ~30* too for warmer weather stuff but it’s low on the priority list.