Redcliff or Sawtooth / WA Help

Hey guys- I’m having a hard time deciding between the Redcliff and the Sawtooth. Generally we will run 2 (rarely 3) guys and a stove and that’s why I am looking at this size shelter...but we might have to cram 4 guys into it in an emergency so I’m trying to decide if this would be even possible with either of these. I was wondering if anybody had any insight on this or has actually had the chance to compare the two head to head. I’m looking for any pros and cons (and opinions) that people can share on these. I’ve read pretty much every thread ever written on these two shelters here on rokslide but would love just a little more insight . Also does anybody have either of these two shelters on the dry side of WA? I’m in Pullman

Well if 3 or 4 are ever gonna be with you, cross out the sawtooth. Maybe even cross out the recliffe.
You can do 3 even 4 in the redcliffe, but at 4 it will be a mess if ya got a stove, wood pile, hanging wet boots, clothes etc....

I would scratch the sawtooth based on what you said.
They are on sale right now, but for more than 2 people - I wouldn't get it.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Three will fit in a sawtooth but it'll be tight in there. Four you better be ready to spoon. Moffatts added a guy out where the rear pole goes so they move it out side for more room inside behind the center pole

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

OP
passinggas33
In my mind, if we get to the point where four of us have to shack up in either shelter, the wood pile will be going outside under a tarp. My challenge with this whole decision is that I’ve never been in either and don’t understand how big or small they really are. Sounds like the sawtooth is smaller than the Redcliff in reality, though on paper they are pretty close to the same size. Any other insight from all you smart people?

FlyGuy

WKR
I would never buy a shelter based on something that "might" happen very infrequently. If you go down that road you are very likely going to end up spending a crap-ton of money on an 8 man shelter that is way too big and too heavy for the majority of your outings. I would buy either of the two you listed b/c you are probably going to be doubled up 90+ percent of the time. If you have an occational 3rd or 4th then he/they can provide their own shelter.

(I am assuming here that you are talking about huntinf partners and not spouse/kids, if that is not the case then ignore my advice.)

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

colonel00

WKR
I have a Cimarron, Sawtooth and now a Redcliff. I plan to do a size comparison this spring but that may not be soon enough for you. Here is how I break them down:

Cimarron - 1-2 people. 2 people and a stove is doable but it can get pretty cramped, especially if you have to have it pitched down tighter to the ground

Sawtooth - 2-3 people. As mentioned above, 3 would be tight but it's possible. For me, the Sawtooth is a great option for 2 people and a stove for a hunt where camp stays in place for while.

Redcliff - 3-4 people. Again, as mentioned above, 4 can be tight, especially with a stove but I think it's got the space. What's nice about the Redcliff is you can sleep 4 people laying with their heads towards the middle (pole) and everyone would have room for gear along the sides. It also allows all 4 people to get out of the tent without stepping over someone.

colonel00

WKR
Which has better standing room?

I can stand in the Cimarron but only if I have it pitched up off the ground quite a bit. The Sawtooth and Redcliff both have good standing room for guys around 6' or a bit taller. The standing room is really just around the pole though. You aren't going to have room to do jumping jacks but it's nice to be able to stand up to get dressed and stretch a bit.

I was in your boat too and went with the redcliff although I seriously looked at live2hunts shelter that is very similar to the sawtooth with some added features.

Redcliffe is just about 4.75 lbs, the Sawtooth is at 4.5 lbs.
Weight wise that is a wash to me

The RC is $730
The ST is $800 normally right now - $677

So on ave the $$ savings today goes to ST, but every other day it goes to RC

The RC is way easier to erect.
The ST probably handles wind better
with that said I was in 40 + MPH and the RC had zero issues

Both allow some standing room but more room probably goes to the RC

The RC has 2 doors where the ST has just the one
The RC has a top vent to help with condensation

I f I was solo (which I am) and an OZ counter, which I am not, I would go with a 4 man type, but went with the Redcliffe as I don't mind the little extra weight

Brad@Argali

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Hey guys- I’m having a hard time deciding between the Redcliff and the Sawtooth. Generally we will run 2 (rarely 3) guys and a stove and that’s why I am looking at this size shelter...but we might have to cram 4 guys into it in an emergency so I’m trying to decide if this would be even possible with either of these. I was wondering if anybody had any insight on this or has actually had the chance to compare the two head to head. I’m looking for any pros and cons (and opinions) that people can share on these. I’ve read pretty much every thread ever written on these two shelters here on rokslide but would love just a little more insight . Also does anybody have either of these two shelters on the dry side of WA? I’m in Pullman

We made a short video showing some of the Seek shelters side by side to give you a sense of what they look like. The Redcliff is great for 3 people, gear and a stove. You can definitely do 4 but it will be tight. The Redcliff is super quick and easy to setup, and one of my favorite shelters. I don’t have any experience with the Kifaru so can’t help you out there.

Follow the link and scroll to the video. I’m 6’2” for reference.

Choosing a lightweight hunting tent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
passinggas33
Thanks guys for all the advice! It looks like im going to go with the sawtooth just based on it meeting our all around needs. Thanks again and feel free to add any more advice or thoughts if you have them.

Thanks guys for all the advice! It looks like im going to go with the sawtooth just based on it meeting our all around needs. Thanks again and feel free to add any more advice or thoughts if you have them.

What needs did it meet over the Redcliffe?

OP
passinggas33
Oh my gosh. I’m such a putz. I meant to say that I went with the Redcliff. I’m losing my mind. I went with liners and bug netting as well as a medium stove. For the little added weight I figured I’d give them a shot. If I hate them I’ll cut them out. I decided it would be better for me due to the size and offers me a chance to put more people in if needed. I always figure it is better to have more room and not need it, then not have enough room.

Oh my gosh. I’m such a putz. I meant to say that I went with the Redcliff. I’m losing my mind. I went with liners and bug netting as well as a medium stove. For the little added weight I figured I’d give them a shot. If I hate them I’ll cut them out. I decided it would be better for me due to the size and offers me a chance to put more people in if needed. I always figure it is better to have more room and not need it, then not have enough room.

Good choice- right choice- best choice....
You wont be disappointed, like I said I solo hunt out of mine , yet have the ability to pair up if need be.
I didn't get the liner or nest, as I don't usually get condensation hunting alone where I hunt, it's very dry usually. No bugs either.

Get the 18" stove from Lite Outdoors and you will be set.

ScottH

Lil-Rokslider
The Redcliff also has a built in vent...a big plus for someone with the handle "passinggas33".