Something besides a Kifaru Woobie or Doobie

OP
L
Along this same thread; what about just a military woobie off of amazon? $30-50 bucks.

Does anyone know if it is as warm as the Kifaru? Weight? Pack Size?

I have three military woobies/poncho liners from when I was in the Army. They work well, but I want something that is warmer/thicker like the Kifaru woobie and doobie are.

Larry

Thanks, Larry.

Good to know; as I have had the Kifaru woobie in my cart for months now. Just waiting on the funds to buy it.

I saw a snugpak blanket on massdrop earlier today. Looked interesting.

Have you thought about modifying a USGI woobie?

I added a woodland camo fleece blanket to mine and it’s awesome. Doesn’t pack the best, but it’s warm and durable. Cost me about $10.

mcseal2

WKR
I used the HPG Serape as my sleeping bag on a canoe/portage fishing trip Canada's Algonquin Park a few summers ago. We got some unexpectedly low temps at night and it was really damp. I used a Thermarest accordion style sleeping pad in my Megatarp with this and a home-made bug net. It got into the mid 30's and I slept comfortable but that was definitely with pulling out all the tricks I had available. My softshell jacket was zipped over the footbox and I wore light base layers, socks, and a synthetic hoody sweatshirt. I use it in warmer temps on scouting trips in the mountains or fishing trips to the river around home still. It's plenty long and roomy for me with a 52" chest measurement at 5'11".

I really like the Serape when it can replace a sleeping bag and puffy. It's a pretty versatile insulator then but at 40oz is pretty heavy to pack in addition to a sleeping bag. On those summer trips it can replace a sleeping bag and be a nice insulating layer to glass under on a cool morning or evening. There are probably down bags and puffys available now that combined are lighter than the Serape, but I bet they also carry a pretty good price tag. I still prefer synthetic for a bag so this works for me. I have used it as a blanket over my 20 degree Kifaru Slickbag on cold hunts when camping in the tipi near the truck also for extra warmth. This has kept me from needing a warmer bag and worked down to 0 degrees really well. I think I could go colder but haven't had to.

On a side note the Serape is an awesome addition for a cold late season whitetail hunt. I almost always have mine in my pack for our December whitetail season and slip it on over top of my other layers as the sun starts to drop. I just have to make sure I don't wait to long if I'm not in a blind and just sitting outside so deer don't show up early and prevent me from moving enough to get it on. Having this draped over your body and legs creates a dead air space over your normal layers that can greatly increase comfort levels.

I like mine enough I own 2 now. My wife deer hunts too and the original one kept turning up in her pack when we went hunting.

OP
L
Bringing this back up...does anyone else know of someone who makes a technical blanket similar to the Kifaru Woobie or Doobie? Again, not slamming them, I am just looking for other products for an evaluation article I am working on.

Thanks to all...

_raz_

FNG
This?

Jerven Fjellduken Extreme - Varusteleka.com

Skickat från min G8142 via Tapatalk

Can vouch for this one. The Jerven Fjellduken Extreme is the bees knees. Totally waterproof (save for the zippers), and the biggest weight saving / warmth increasing feature is the reflective inner surface — think space blanket on steroids. Combined with primaloft insulation it's easy to see you can survive arctic winter nights in just this.

From my experience a Jerven should definitely be your main consideration for "the other three seasons". Works a treat as you Fall-Winter-Spring sleeping bag, as stag gear and as the first option for any breaks during your hike, meal breaks & general sitting in camp. Same as a woobie, it's much roomier compared to most sleeping bags, so you'll be able to put your puffies on if you need extra warmth. For general goofing around at the campsite, just unzip the short side zips and you've got your hands free (and have the warmest coat ever).

I've slept multiple nights in one in the snow at 0°F, with just an inflatable thermarest underneath, no tarp, no tent, even when it snows. Pro tip is to have insulated tent boots to ensure your feet stay warm & dry — that way you'll be a happy camper in the crappiest conditions.

Having said that, adding a stove and a tarp will make life much more comfortable, but I wouldn't have trouble surviving with just a Jerven Extreme in deep Winter to at least -30°C / -20°F.

Last edited:

Blackhawk45hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Along this same thread; what about just a military woobie off of amazon? $30-50 bucks.

Does anyone know if it is as warm as the Kifaru? Weight? Pack Size?

The military woobie isn’t even close to an apex quilt for warmth, weight and packability. It’s like comparing a $10 Walmart hoodie to a 850 fill down puffy.

S
Can vouch for this one. The Jerven Fjellduken Extreme is the bees knees. Totally waterproof (save for the zippers), and the biggest weight saving / warmth increasing feature is the reflective inner surface — think space blanket on steroids. Combined with primaloft insulation it's easy to see you can survive arctic winter nights in just this.

From my experience a Jerven should definitely be your main consideration for "the other three seasons". Works a treat as you Fall-Winter-Spring sleeping bag, as stag gear and as the first option for any breaks during your hike, meal breaks & general sitting in camp. Same as a woobie, it's much roomier compared to most sleeping bags, so you'll be able to put your puffies on if you need extra warmth. For general goofing around at the campsite, just unzip the short side zips and you've got your hands free (and have the warmest coat ever).

I've slept multiple nights in one in the snow at 0°F, with just an inflatable thermarest underneath, no tarp, no tent, even when it snows. Pro tip is to have insulated tent boots to ensure your feet stay warm & dry — that way you'll be a happy camper in the crappiest conditions.

Having said that, adding a stove and a tarp will make life much more comfortable, but I wouldn't have trouble surviving with just a Jerven Extreme in deep Winter to at least -30°C / -20°F.
Sure liking the looks of this!

prm

WKR
They have a pic of one on a pack. Look at the hunter version.

This thing is very interesting. Sleeping bag, glassing shelter all in one. I use my woobie when glassing in very cold and windy conditions.

Or, the hunter version is a little lighter, then perhaps take a much lighter sleeping bag and place inside this at night? Go with a lightweight (1-1.5lb) sleeping bag, and use both at night, then use this as a shelter when glassing or watching an area in the wind, wet and/or cold.

Last edited:
I bet with down jacket and pants you could get pretty toasty as a sleeping setup. Seems like it could take the place of a bivy and sleeping bag, I wonder if there is any real weight savings to be had here.

Reactions: prm