Something besides a Kifaru Woobie or Doobie

First off, I want to say that I have nothing against Kifaru or the Woobie/Doobie. I love the stuff that comes out of their fertile minds and enjoy the things I have from them.

Now that we have that out of the way, I am trying to come up with the lightest, most compact, and effective, sleep system I can. I am very impressed with the effectiveness of some of the reflective blankets that are available and want to pair it with with an enhanced poncho liner/insulated blanket like the woobie. Does anyone know of, or use something other than the woobie or doobie as an insulated blanket?

I know about using a quilt rather than a sleeping bag, so I don't need any examples of them. I am looking for an enhanced poncho liner / blanket type of product.

Thanks to all,

Larry Schwartz

Check out:
Wiggys
VIAM Outdoors
Thermarest has a blanket.
There are some tactical guys that make various woobie configurations if you do a google search.

dotman

WKR
I love my woobie but it isn’t super warm as a stand alone unless it’s above 40* imo. I get wanting to go light, but to get light and warmth you’ll have to look at a down option.

Make your own whoobie. I did. I ordered stuff to make another for my bud last week. It costs me $67 including shipping. I did away with the grosgrain channels, draw cords, etc... I shortened it to 84 inches as well. No need for all the length for anyone that isn't extremely tall. I got the weight down to 13 ounces, with 3.6 ounce climashield, in a water proof stuff sack. It is a multi-faceted piece of gear fellas. And, is so easy to sew up with a hidden seam. From cutting the material to finishing the sewing is about an hour. I used the heck out of it this year and it completely did away with a heavier insulating mid or outer layer. Its very warm and serves as a good quilt booster too. I weighed several of my down vests and only one was lighter. These are Eddie Bauer, LL Bean, and Cablela's vests so, They are heavier then KUIU. But, this whoobie is 'da bomb for warmth versus weight. God Bless men

Lockster

Lil-Rokslider
Sorry Larry for potentially hijacking your thread, but it may well be relevant to you also.

WV, what temperature rating would you estimate your DIY 3.6 apex quilt could handle if you want to use it as a stand-alone emergency blanket to carry in the field, or potentially paired with a space blanket?

Sorry Larry for potentially hijacking your thread, but it may well be relevant to you also.

WV, what temperature rating would you estimate your DIY 3.6 apex quilt could handle if you want to use it as a stand-alone emergency blanket to carry in the field, or potentially paired with a space blanket?

I'm not sure how to answer the blanket concept other then to say, I used it this year as a cloak most often. Many times we are talking 30 degree temps with just a wool button up shirt and merino medium top. And often times in a decent wind with a sweaty back spot from wearing a pack. It performed great. For comfort while sleeping with a proper pad, I'm saying you could get to the upper 30's in it. With a space blanket, that might get you to lower 30's. For simply survival, upper to middle teens with any decent, dry apparel.

I know that is lower then most people rates them but, I purposely used calendered nylon to hopefully boost the temp rating as much as possible and I truly believe that helped the wind sheer on it. How much that helps retain heat in a calm environment I do not know but, I'm certain it helps as it cuts the wind very well once you get bundled up in it.

To the OP, I too am sorry if this is off topic but, I took your initial request to exclude a Kifaru Whoobie as being based on cost's. If so, you could order 5.0 Apex and really make a great system that would easily get you into the lower 30's, upper 20's with a proper pad. I use a 5.0 quilt in a hammock and have been to the mid 20's in it with zero issue.

God bless

Last edited:
I had a snugpak patrol bag converted into a quilt. Basically the zipper was taken out and the foot box was reinforced. It’s a 40* bag so it’s pretty light. I can stuff it down to the size of a softball, which is handy for using at work. I carried it all summer in fire pack and when it’s paired with my TiGoat bivy I can do most night through mid October with comfort. I’ll usually throw on a top if it gets too cold.

I wanted a blanket to use in warm weather and supplement my 20 degree bag. I went to bed bath and beyond. They had down quilts for 19 bucks. They are 5 ft by 6 ft I think. I got 2 and sewed them together making a blanket 6 ft by 9.5 ft. I overlapped the edges that I sewed together. They each came with A stuff sack and the whole thing fits in one of the sacks. I don’t know what it’s rated at but I used it turkey season last year and was good with just it and my merino base layer. It’s a pretty cheap and easy option.

Lockster

Lil-Rokslider
I'm not sure how to answer the blanket concept other then to say, I used it this year as a cloak most often. Many times we are talking 30 degree temps with just a wool button up shirt and merino medium top. And often times in a decent wind with a sweaty back spot from wearing a pack. It performed great. For comfort while sleeping with a proper pad, I'm saying you could get to the upper 30's in it. With a space blanket, that might get you to lower 30's. For simply survival, upper to middle teens with any decent, dry apparel.

I know that is lower then most people rates them but, I purposely used calendered nylon to hopefully boost the temp rating as much as possible and I truly believe that helped the wind sheer on it. How much that helps retain heat in a calm environment I do not know but, I'm certain it helps as it cuts the wind very well once you get bundled up in it.

To the OP, I too am sorry if this is off topic but, I took your initial request to exclude a Kifaru Whoobie as being based on cost's. If so, you could order 5.0 Apex and really make a great system that would easily get you into the lower 30's, upper 20's with a proper pad. I use a 5.0 quilt in a hammock and have been to the mid 20's in it with zero issue.

God bless

Thanks, I’ve been umming and ahhing about whether to go 3.6 or 5 Apex, I was looking at making a modified poncho/emergency shelter not too dissimilar to the HPG serape but modified to fit my needs better, I just wasn’t sure whether to go with 3.6 or 5 Apex, sounds like 3.6 should give me what I need for all but the most extreme situations, and I figure I’d still get a fire going if stuck out in the bush overnight so the smaller size/weight of the 3.6 is pushing me more in that direction, I appreciate your detailed insights

Welcome. 3.6 sounds to me to be what you want. If you find out otherwise after sewing it up, sew up a 5.0 and have them both. You could do it for $80. God Bless

FreeRange

WKR
I have an MLD spirit quilt 38 degree that they cut a head hole into for me so pretty similar to a woobie. Nunatak could make you something similar with apex I believe. Both companies are great to work with. I intended it for use to supplement my 20 deg down quilt but have not had need to do that yet. I have used it standalone down to 40 degrees and as expected it was just a bit cold. Also used it with a Costco quilt into the teens in a floorless sleeping on snow with an xterm because my hunting partner (my dad) forgot his bag and we were a long ways from another bag when he realized it so I loaned him mine. With every stitch of clothing I had with me I survived that one, barely. A space blanket helped make it through those two nights.

OP
L

Lockster, he said it was climashield, not apex.

OP
L

God bless

WV, I wasn't excluding the Kifaru Woobie because it didn't meet any of my parameters. I excluded it because I already know about it and I am looking for other options.

Thanks for the great write up on what you made.

Larry

Along this same thread; what about just a military woobie off of amazon? $30-50 bucks.

Does anyone know if it is as warm as the Kifaru? Weight? Pack Size?