Tarptent

Squirrels

WKR
Doing my research in search of a shelter for myself. Looking for something for jus me and gear for September elk hunting. Want a tent. Looked at big Agnes, rei, and MSR among some others. Tarptent seems like the way to go for the prices I have seen. Which model would suit me best. Don’t want to use my trekking poles and don’t want to have to pack a bunch of stakes. Just not sure which model of theirs fits the bill for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you don't want to use your poles the Rainbow or Double Rainbow would be my choice. I really like the Double Rainbow. I took my Protrail for my CO deer hunt 2016 and after being in it in the wet weather decided to take the Double Rainbow with the liner last season and was so much more comfortable. It is also enough room to fit the wife for summer trips. Although I ended up getting a Rainshadow 2 to have more room for the 2 of us.

Beendare

WKR
Solid products. I've had a Tarptent Cloudburst [disc model] for about 20 years- still bulletproof.

What you will find if you compare them side by side with the Chinese made BA type stuff- HS Tarptent is much better quality.

jmden

WKR
Big fan of the Rainbow and Double Rainbow. You could fit two people inside the Rainbow as it is 40" x 88" and mine is just under 2 lbs including everything. Hard to beat. Big enough that I oftne put all my gear except boots inside with me including rifle. Only issue is they are single wall on top and side that the screen isn't on. But the Rainbow is so big for one person, I really don't find that much of an issue. If that's a big deal to you, they came out with the Bowfin last year that is double wall and similar design. I use my treking poles and leave the tent too so I don't want a shelter supported by trekking poles. Combined with a 1 lb 8oz Marmot Hydrogen bag (can be quite warm if you shift the down to the top) and a regular size (20" x 72") X-lite pad, you've got a very comfortable camp well under 5lbs for September (most of the time) in the mountains.

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
I've had about a half dozen different HS Tarptents and for an ultra light weight, three season, floored tent, they are as good as I have found. I like the models that utilize trekking poles to save weight.

If you ever have a problem, Henry is likely to answer the phone when you call. Good guy.

OP
Squirrels

Squirrels

WKR
Thanks fellas. Great info so far. I don’t mind using a half a dozen stakes or less. So looks like recommendations are rainbow, bowfin, or moment thus far. Question though. Most other 1 person tents are to small for 1 guy and some gear without hitting sidewalls and having wet stuff from condensation. Does this rule of thumb hold true with tarptent 1 mans or are the more generously sized? What’s the biggest difference in the 3 models I mentioned?

I think would go with the Rainbow for the bigger floor space and 3" more head room over the moment.

I have a double rainbow that I'm going to sell soon as I'm trying floorless this coming year. It has the liner accessory as well. PM me if you would be interested. It has a dozen nights under it's belt.

Tarptent makes great products. The double rainbow has lots of room for all of your gear and you can sit up easily inside. Pretty bombproof as well.

FURMAN

WKR
My recommendation is the Moment DW. I can't believe I do not read more about them. Awesome three season tents and they have "snow" poles available.

OP
Squirrels

Squirrels

WKR
Are their weights accurate on the site? Does the listed weight include poles and stakes and sacks?

jmden

WKR
The Rainbow is a very large one man tent. Plenty of living space. Don't expect to use your stove in the vestibule, but the vestibule has 2-3 configurations that would give you space to do that. Pretty amazing little tent and mine, with bags, poles, stakes etc. comes in less than their stated total weight.

OP
Squirrels

Squirrels

WKR
The Rainbow is a very large one man tent. Plenty of living space. Don't expect to use your stove in the vestibule, but the vestibule has 2-3 configurations that would give you space to do that. Pretty amazing little tent and mine, with bags, poles, stakes etc. comes in less than their stated total weight.

You talking rainbow or the double rainbow?

FURMAN

WKR
I have a Moment and a Hogback. Both match the listed weights with poles.

Mosby

WKR
If I wanted a freestanding Tarptent I would probably get the Bowfin 1 because it is a double wall and provides a bit more space compared to the Moment DW. The Moment DW only needs 2 stakes and is quite a bit lighter than the Bowfin. Benefits and tradeoffs to both.

I went through this process recently and I am going to get the SS1 but these are the 3 models I focused on. I have a couple of different tents and the SS1 filled in the gaps between my existing tents the best. If you are ok with a single wall then the Rainbow is a great option as well. I always struggle prioritizing features and needs when making equipment purchases.