Sleeping Bag Cover

GLB

WKR
Looking for recommendations on a sleeping bag cover that I could use for multiple mummy type sleeping bags. It needs to be light weight and water proof.
Thanks!

caws907

FNG

amp713

WKR
I debated on this for a while and then decided on getting a non hoop bivy. It would be a better option as it not only could protect your bag but if something went south you have a secondary emergency shelter you could stay in. You could even just plan on using it as a shelter when you need to move far and fast. I have yet to get one so Im just tossing out an idea you could possibly explore and maybe it would work for you maybe not.

OP
GLB

GLB

WKR
I debated the bivy shelter vs just a cover and for me the plain cover would give me more flexibility. I always carry a poncho and can make a hasty shelter using that if need to.

applepie_eli

Lil-Rokslider
Have you ever looked at the 4 piece military modular sleep system? I have it and love it. I know it's not lightweight but it replaces a tent for me so it's not too bad. The full thing weighs in somewhere around 10 pounds. But that's all 3 bags put together to be rated down to like -40. You can take the bags apart and customize it for lighter weight and warmer weather. Plus there's no setup required.

Anyways, if you already have regular mummy bags and can find the bivy that comes with it on eBay or a surplus store, it would be a decent option in my opinion. Just the waterproof bivy weighs about 36 oz. But it's extremely durable and waterproof. I highly doubt you'll find a tougher bivy than this one. It kept me dry during two nights of downpours in Montana last summer. I really love the versatility of being able to carry nothing but this sleeping bag and knowing that I'll be able to make it through any night no matter the weather just by pulling it out and crawling in.

I can't really think of any downfalls to this piece except it's weight and there isn't a lot of foot space. I know a lot of guys out there probably have a lot of negative things to say about this system, but it's what works for me! Next year I think I will add a super light tarp just to have something to sit up under and put my gear under.

OP
GLB

GLB

WKR
^^^ I have used those in my past. It's a good system. I could go for that cover but something lighter would be nice.

I like the idea of Tyvek ground sheet with one side long enough to wrap over you and some cordage or bungees to keep it around you all night. Or attach a zipper or snaps to keep it from falling off. Simple and lightweight.