I got cold...

snowplow

WKR
So I did a little yard campout last weekend because it was going to be into the 20's around here. I wanted to try out my new outdoor vitals 20* down mummybag. I was in my marino top and bottom base layers but that's it. I was under a tarp and in an e-vent bivy. I made it through the night just fine but woke up 3-4 times cold. I definitely wouldn't want to do this all week long at elk camp. I purposely did not employ any get warm tricks like a warm nalgene bottle or a puffy coat etc. I was hoping my bare bones system would be good into the 20's.

So... I want to make sure I sleep good. I see about 4 ways I could handle this:

Bring along my synthetic 40* quilt to add on.

Plan on wearing my puffy coat (uncompagre) and maybe picking up puffy pants.

Sell the uncompagre (I want a warmer one anyway) and get the Kifaru LPP and sleep in that if I need to.

Sell the 20* bag and get a 0*

I would prob only wear the puffy pants sleeping and dont really need them. The quilt's not a bad idea but adds a lot of bulk. Not the most efficient. I think my fav ideas are to just get a 0* bag or the LPP. I have been thinking the Uncomp isn't warm enough for me anyway.

What would you guys do?

Sell the 20 and get a 0 or -10 and then a 30.
I have a 15 but it's way to warm in summer and most of fall. Then perfect for a week. Then to cold for winter.

Try an insulated pad first because you'll need that no matter what bag you get.

Most bag ratings are for what will keep you alive, not necessarily comfortable so keep that in mind.

I have a 5degree bag and with a good pad can stay perfectly comfortable down to 10 or 15 degrees.

OP
S

snowplow

WKR
Hey sorry l forgot to mension l got. A great pad. Its an insulated Nemo Tensor. About 3-3.5" thick.

Ill see what l can find for deals on new bags. Nobody would try another alternative?

Do you guys like to sleep in more than your base layers?

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

Ten Bears

WKR
I will carry a sea to summit sleeping bag liner to give some extra warmth. I feel like it really helps.

KurtR

WKR
I ran the outdoor vitals 0 degree bag this year in idaho with a klymit static v lux and it got down to the teens i never got cold. That was with base layers on is all. The nights in the mid 20's me and my buddy both had to vent the bag. We are both run pretty warm though.

jm1607

WKR
I learned to always get a lower sleeping bag than I need.. Some places I hunt it may get down to 25 (at the coldest) so I run about a 10 degree bag. I also sleep in my pants and just my base layer as a top. Then I can wake up and just throw my jacket on and be ready to go..

And yes, get a good insulated pad like others said.. I like Klymit

RustyHazen

Lil-Rokslider
Don't go the puffy pants route. If you're not going to wear them any other time, the pants will weigh more than the weight penalty of a warmer bag.

boom

WKR
damn..sleeping at 20 is brutal for me.

i do use my 20 WM bag, but i wear more clothing. i've slept in my jacket and pants before. and a warm hat..a hat saves my butt.

what is the R rating of that pad?

OP
S

snowplow

WKR
They don't give it a straight all rating. They do it a little differently, which is annoying. But I've heard it's very comfortable to the thermarest Neo air. I can tell it's a very warm pad. I wasn't cold from the bottom side at all.

Do you guys think I should give it a try again tonight with my puffy coat and stocking cap on or is that stupid and I should just buy another bag?

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Where you getting any neck draft? If so I like to wrap a puffy layer (pants or jacket) around my shoulders so I don't have to tighten the draft collar down firmly around me, I wear a beanie to generally keep my head warm (again I don't like the mummy hood cinched down firmly). That seems to let my body heat up a bag nicely without having the warmth escape and/or cold drafts creep in.

boom

WKR
i am weird. my wife thinks i'm weird.

i can sleep perfectly fine with clothing on. (i bet i could sleep with boots on) i would try it again. for sure the stocking cap. my puffy has a hood. i have worn my jacket with the hood pulled over the head. when i tested my bag..i wore what i think i would wear. i had it all on..pants and a jacket.

OP
S

snowplow

WKR
Cool thanks for the advice. I'll try it again tonight. I'll be ready to go with a puffy and a balaclava and whatever else. I'm also not really used to mummy bags and forgot all about the draft collar. It seems like I was okay for the most part so I wonder if I just accidentally got it drafty during the night.

Thanks again

mt100gr.

WKR
FWIW, since I use my puffy pants for glassing and around camp, etc in November I also use them as part of my sleep system. On a thermarest neoair xtherm inside a borah bivy in a 20 degree EE quilt, I slept well at 0 degrees on Xmas eve. Puffy booties I carry for glassing and in the tent/around camp, puffy pants, puffy jacket with a hood and a stocking cap are all pulling double duty.

And my wife and daughters think I am weird, too.

dog812

WKR
... I would also try a warmer pad.. Xtherm has always been good to me
And more insulation clothes. I usually wear my base plus fleece.. They come in handy. But I am in bc, it gets Damn cold here.

boom

WKR
I need to buy an xtherm. I’m gonna freeze my butt off in Peru with my current big Agnes pad.

I have a 10 degree quilt with some overfill, paired with an xtherm. I've used it down to 15 degrees while wearing my base layer only and been fine, I can add my puffy if needed but haven't needed to yet. If I don't wear a hat in those lower temps I do get chilled. A large percentage of body heat can be lost through your head because of the amount of blood flow going through your brain, especially when lying down. Another vote for an xtherm here. They are unique in that they don't only insulate well but they reflect heat back at you. When you aren't wearing many clothes it almost feels like it's heated.