I got cold...

Cool thanks for the advice. I'll try it again tonight. I'll be ready to go with a puffy and a balaclava and whatever else. I'm also not really used to mummy bags and forgot all about the draft collar. It seems like I was okay for the most part so I wonder if I just accidentally got it drafty during the night.

Thanks again

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk
Tightening that mummy hood up makes a huge difference for me

oldgoat

WKR
I'm looking into the Big Agnes McKinnis sleeping bag liner for my wife during archery elk season and I'll maybe use it later in the year on colder hunts she's not along for.

I’m never one to say “don’t upgrade”
But I will throw in this- I’ve slept solidly through the night many many mid twenty nights in a 20 degree bag in a bivy with merino Long Johns on a thermarest on fishing and hunting trips- even though I shivered my ass off and couldn’t fall back asleep after being woken up the other night at the trailhead where I slept after having driven up that day on a 38-40 degree night

I always sleep when I’m tired and struggle to when I’m not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mrgreen

WKR
According to Gearlab, in this review the Nemo Insulated Tensor is "suitable" down to 30deg. They describe it as a very comfortable 3 season pad. I would start by trying a warmer pad, using the hood and draft collar is a great suggestion as well.

Hey sorry l forgot to mension l got. A great pad. Its an insulated Nemo Tensor. About 3-3.5" thick.

Ill see what l can find for deals on new bags. Nobody would try another alternative?

Do you guys like to sleep in more than your base layers?

I'm colder with clothing on. I strip down to my undies and stay plenty warm on my insulated Xped and 15 degree bag.

A wool or similar material cap on your noggin helps a great deal as is sleeping with wool blend socks. It's amazing how having cold feet can quickly make the rest of you not so comfortable.

Just make sure you’re not wearing so much bulky clothing it’s compromising the loft of your sleeping bag. That will quickly negate any added warmth of the extra layers

BRWNBR

WKR
I’ve found if I wear more clothes I get colder. If I lay them beside me in my bag I am warmer. I think if I insulated my legs from each other they stay cold. But together they heat each other. Who knows. To much clothes on just don’t work for me. Warmest
Bag I can carry. Or quilt. Insulted pad and a beanie for my bald head....

OP
S

snowplow

WKR
Thanks so much guys this was all really helpful. I stayed out there again on a 19 degree night and did okay. I changed up a few things and only woke up once probably because I rolled and got a big draft of air but then I went right back to sleep. I slept in my uncomp puffy with a cheap fleece balaclava. I also stuffed in one of those cheap down small Costco quilts. And I made sure and cinch up the draft color this time. So all in all it's a go.

My only critique will be my legs were a little on the chilly side as compared to my upper body. I was thinking of taking that quilt and cutting a pair of sweatpants out as a pattern and making a quick set of light down pants. How do you guys deal with cold legs? I had a llano, chama, and uncomp puffy on my upper half but just Merino bottoms on the lower. Is that normal? Do you generally just get your upper body so warm your legs don't get cold or do you start layering on the lower half as well?

Either way this is a win I'm just really trying to dial this in now. Thanks again for the help.

Thanks so much guys this was all really helpful. I stayed out there again on a 19 degree night and did okay. I changed up a few things and only woke up once probably because I rolled and got a big draft of air but then I went right back to sleep. I slept in my uncomp puffy with a cheap fleece balaclava. I also stuffed in one of those cheap down small Costco quilts. And I made sure and cinch up the draft color this time. So all in all it's a go.

My only critique will be my legs were a little on the chilly side as compared to my upper body. I was thinking of taking that quilt and cutting a pair of sweatpants out as a pattern and making a quick set of light down pants. How do you guys deal with cold legs? I had a llano, chama, and uncomp puffy on my upper half but just Merino bottoms on the lower. Is that normal? Do you generally just get your upper body so warm your legs don't get cold or do you start layering on the lower half as well?

Either way this is a win I'm just really trying to dial this in now. Thanks again for the help.

I really feel like if you went with an xtherm pad you you could probably solve a lot of the concerns you are trying to resolve with extra clothing pieces created to sleep in (sweatpants). But what you are suggesting might work as well. Encouraging that with just a few tweaks you saw improvement in insulation during sleep.

BRWNBR

WKR
A lot of guys boil a water bottle full of water and toss it in the end of their bag. Warm socks keeps your feet from burning and helps keep that blood running thru your legs warmer. Plus in the morning it don’t take as long to boil water for coffee. Not sure how you can sleep with all that stuff on.

yak

Lil-Rokslider
I am a cold sleeper, here is what I have done over the past few seasons:
-Run a 5* down bag and I leave the lower section of the bag unzipped most of the early season
-Pack an extra pair of thicker smart wool socks for sleeping only. I leave them in the tent so they don't get sweaty or wet. Feels real good to slide the fresh socks on right before bed.
-Wear a beanie, merino long johns, and my base layer to bed. Throw on my SD puffy if I am still cold.
-Use the snow collar and mummy hood in my bag

I never cared for the Sea to Summit sleeping bag liner due to feeling tangled up and the amount of static. I heard Big Agnus has down/synthetic bag liners that add 10-15*, but never tried them...Hope this helps

bwlacy

WKR
Throw a chemical hand warmer or body warmer down in the bottom of the bag by your feet. I've never tried it, but I know a couple guys that have and say that it helps a lot. Of course then you have to pack some of those along. They might be lighter than all the extra clothes though.

Wild Bob

FNG
West of Rough Rider Country, east of the Divide
In my experience, I've made the mistake of bundling up too much and then trying to sleep in an under rated bag.

I've slept much more comfortable by making sure my bag is rated below anticipated temps, then sleeping in either just my light base layer or even w/o that...you'll be amazed how much more comfortable you'll sleep. I also am warmer sleeping on an closed cell foam sleeping matt rather than an air type matt.

boom

WKR
i vaguely remember the salesman talking while i was wiggling into my Western Mountaineer bag on his showroom floor. i think he said the footbox is generously spacious to allow you to wear your boots in the bag. things have gone horribly wrong, if i find myself with boots on inside my bag. :)

like i'm listening for the barking search dogs and helicopters at that point

Wild Bob

FNG
West of Rough Rider Country, east of the Divide
i vaguely remember the salesman talking while i was wiggling into my Western Mountaineer bag on his showroom floor. i think he said the footbox is generously spacious to allow you to wear your boots in the bag. things have gone horribly wrong, if i find myself with boots on inside my bag. :)

like i'm listening for the barking search dogs and helicopters at that point

Hahahahaha! Yea, boots in bag = not good! :D

Heck of a sales point!

Beendare

WKR
I think you are getting good advice above. Good pad is a must...I like the Expeds....a little heavy but warm.

A good bag is a must....if your 20 deg bag isn't good to 20 deg....its junk. I can tell you this, 'Cheap' and "Down' should never be used in the same sentence.

Mosby

WKR
Since you have a good insulated pad, I would add a bag liner to increase warmth. Keeps bag cleaner as well.