you ever wake up iced into your sleeping bag?

boom

WKR
maybe i'm describing it wrong.

it cold outside. way below freezing. zipped up tight, or tucked tight under your quilt. do you ever sit up and hear your sleeping bag crackle from the ice breaking? i think the moisture my body is cranking out is wicking thru the fabric and freezes on the surface of my bag. i still stay relatively warm.

it does suck on the last day, when i need to stuff that damp bag into the sack. i like to let it dry out. am i just a damp sleeper? (kinda gross :))

That means you've got a good bag or quilt. Your body heat isn't escaping and thus thawing any moisture that found it's way to the outside of your bag.

And yes it has happened to me typically when I cowboy camp under the stars.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
When I would hunt the late rifle seasons in CO I'd wake up in the tent with a layer of ice covering my -30 bag. That's one reason why I'm an archery hunter these days......I absolutely hate the cold. There's not much worse than having to get out of your bag in sub-zero temps every morning.

Beendare

WKR
I've been iced out of my sleeping bag- grin

I was on a backpack elk hunt in CO's Wiminuche at about 10,500feet. This was many years ago and I was using a bivy Synthetic bag[ thankfully] and Thermarest foam/inflatable pad. Mice had chewed a hole or two in my bivy and the snow melt had water running in soaking about 20% of my bag and about 30% of my pad was wet the first night....and frozen solid the second night.

I wasn't even hunting...I had already tagged out and just backpacked in to a couple buddies horseback camp. Well the weather in early archery was miserable that year....about 8" of snow that one night up there and not letting up. If I would have had my down bag that trip I would have froze. Thankfully once that Syn bag warmed up- I slept like a baby.