Advice needed on Wall Tent size?

Tater1973

WKR
Not looking to get into a discussion on who makes the best wall tent. I am planning on purchasing a Davis wall tent for my base camp shelter. Will be running the internal frame. Will be used most often by myself and possibly 3 max. Hunting camps will be in Ohio for spring turkey/fall deer, Montana archery elk/antelope and New Jersey camping trips. The two sizes that I am considering are the 12'x14' or 14'x16'. Looking for pro's & con's or personal experience. Thanks in advance, JK

Beendare

WKR
I've had or used many sizes and pole configurations.

I now have the 12x16 with the internal aluminum frame - [that frame is the way to go] and it works well for 3....OK for 4....too big for one or two.

sndmn11

WKR
I'm the sales manager at Davis Tent, feel free to shoot me an email if you would like, [email protected]

I have a 14x16 myself, and it is usually me and the better half. I like having the extra room, and it would be my suggestion for 3-4 folks. You could surely have three in a 12x14, and it is an ideal size for that number of people when everyone has their gear needs nailed down and there is not an excess of gear. Between the two sizes, you are looking at about 13lbs difference, the packed size is not noticeably different, and setup times about the same. For the rest of the month the 14x16 can be had for less than the 12x14.... Canvas Wall Tent - Winter Tents - Davis Tent & Awning

Napperm4

WKR
Not a sales manager but have a few wall tents.

A few considerations on how you plan to use your tent and the reason I now have a few hahah.

1. Are you planning to run a wood stove? Clearance around the walls and having wood inside will take a considerable amount of space.

2. How are you getting your base camp in? Truck, ATV or pack animal? Weight and packed size will be a consideration there.

3. Sleeping arrangement - if you go smaller is your group ok using bunk bed cots to free up floor space?

4. Do you plan on having a table inside for eating, cards etc?

5. Terrain - where we set up base camps there is a real small selection of “level” space to set up our tents.

My current set up is much bigger than what you’re considering. We have a group of 2 retirees that are in camp for about 12 weeks. They share a 14x20 w/4’ porch which needs a considerable footprint.

We have 3-6 that come and go in another 14x20 tent. It’s a palace with a stove and table for 3 but definitely overkill for 1-2.

Personally doing it all over again in your shoes I would get the 14x16 with a porch. I think based on my experience that is the best set up for up to 2 people and having the covered porch area to hold firewood and as a cooking area opens up a lot more sleeping / moving room for 3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Longshot

Lil-Rokslider
4 guys with gear and food comfortably fill my 14 x 17 with the stove in the middle...

The 14x16 Davis sounds like a great deal.

Her are some pics of our 12x14 Davis. It's great for the wife and I. It would be easy enough to add two more cots in the back if we took the chairs out, but I believe you would enjoy the extra room of the 14x16 with 3-4 people moving around.

VEnThWi.jpg

Ixh7Vkc.jpg

Obl9SpE.jpg

We use a 12x14 for 3. With three there would not be room for a wood stove. We use a big buddy and during first rifle season that keeps us plenty warm using the second heat setting at most.

LaHunter

WKR
I have never thought, 'Damn, we have too much room in our tent, wish we were in a smaller tent'...
Get the bigger tent and get a large wood burning stove.

Tyler Beck

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
My best piece of advice is to chalk or stake it out. Get your gear, stove, table, and cots out and set them up in each space. This will give you the best of how much room you will have and much more you might need. And as Ryan said, when in doubt, size up!

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I have never thought, 'Damn, we have too much room in our tent, wish we were in a smaller tent'...

I agree.......even solo in my 14x16 Davis tent I have never even once thought smaller would be better.

But you definitely have to know what you're doing with it. With the stove and wood you could still put 4 guys in the 14x16, but you wouldn't have room for a table if you wanted one, unless you really like cramped.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I bought a Davis 16x20. Haven't regretted a second of it. Other than some of my hunting partners ignoring the memo not to bring those queen size air mattresses and hogging up all the floor space. It's a palace, and I've never thought i had too much room.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I bought a Davis 16x20. Haven't regretted a second of it. Other than some of my hunting partners ignoring the memo not to bring those queen size air mattresses and hogging up all the floor space. It's a palace, and I've never thought i had too much room.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Had the same issue with my uncle, taking up to much space. So I bought a smaller tent. His ass can sleep outside or in the truck:)

OP
Tater1973

Tater1973

WKR
Wanted to say thanks to all the Rokslider's that gave me information in regards to wall tent size. Settled on the Davis 14'x16' and couldn't be happier. Special thanks goes out to Kyle from Davis Tents who helped me decide on size and options. First set up and seasoning of the stove complete. Elk season can't come soon enough. Thanks again, JK

IMG_2618.jpgIMG_2598.jpgIMG_2584.jpg