Bivy

moeleo

WKR
I have been looking into running a bivy tarp combo. My first instincts are to go with the Outdoor Research Helium Bivy. I am already running a supertarp. Can anyone shed some light for me on this particular bivy or suggest another one? I’m looking for lightweight. I’m inter aged if those of you that have run this bivy have had much condensation?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jmock97

Lil-Rokslider
I ran the helium last year for 10 day elk hunt as long as u don’t close up the bivy condensation isn’t a issue. Closed up you will get some condensation. Climbing in can be pain but other wise it work well for me the next season I am going to run a black Diamond Spotlight bivy.

ellsworb

Lil-Rokslider
I'm in the minority here. . but I do not run a bivy with my down quilt, ever, under my tarp or in my floorless shelter. If I elect to leave the tarp at home, then I run the bivy.

May I ask what region(s) you're hunting and weather you're experiencing that make you want the doubled protection?

OP
moeleo

moeleo

WKR
I ran the helium last year for 10 day elk hunt as long as u don’t close up the bivy condensation isn’t a issue. Closed up you will get some condensation. Climbing in can be pain but other wise it work well for me the next season I am going to run a black Diamond Spotlight bivy.

What do you like better or what appeals more to you with the black diamond?

OP
moeleo

moeleo

WKR
I'm in the minority here. . but I do not run a bivy with my down quilt, ever, under my tarp or in my floorless shelter. If I elect to leave the tarp at home, then I run the bivy.

May I ask what region(s) you're hunting and weather you're experiencing that make you want the doubled protection?

I am from SW PA so one reason I’d like to run the combo is for bugs and rodents and whatnot around here. Especially when it’s warm at night during the summer to be able to pitch the tarp with one side open and be big free inside the bivy but be able to have fresh air. Also to go to Colorado and Utah to have the freedom to leave the tarp behind if need be and just take the boat by with me in the morning and head off if I need to. I just feel more comfortable to be honest at the same time.

I use a UL wt. 6 oz. bivy under all my floorless shelters mainly just to keep my quilt and everything contained and clean. If your using it under a tarp, you don't need a stand alone (bomber), bivy and the Helium seems a bit overkill for that application. 18 oz. for a bivy that's going to be used in a floorless shelter/tarp, does not sound like light wt. at all to me. If your primary purpose for the bivy/tarp combo is like mine, I would suggest looking at the Ti Goat and Borah Gear options. They both make bivy's that are much lighter and way less expensive then the Helium but they are also made to be used under some sort of protection, so definitely not stand alone.

I run the borah with bug netting under a flat tarp.
I like that it contains pad and bag plus can just throw it out sans tarp if late and tired.

OP
moeleo

moeleo

WKR
I run the borah with bug netting under a flat tarp.
I like that it contains pad and bag plus can just throw it out sans tarp if late and tired.

This is the style that I’m leaning towards and I agree that it may be over kill with something like the helium. But I also like that it’s a little sturdier and I can use it without a tarp if need be. I either pay the weight penalty or the comfort penalty....

coues32

WKR
I am looking at the MLD bug bivy 2, same situation floor less in AZ, UT,CO.
Any insight on bb2 not a good option?

jb79

WKR
I have ran the borah bivy with the big net for the last couple years with my quilt and is held up great. I’ve used it a couple times as a stand alone when there was no chance of rain also. This year I picked up the jimmy tarp center zip bivy and going to using it this season, have a couple of his products and am really happy with them all, worth a look! He now has a esty store so buying his stuff is easier.

Borah Gear SnowySide eVent Bivy for me. My oversized Bivy (96x36) with custom center zip to match my Slick bag only weighs 13oz. Can be used under a tarp or stand alone by itself. Best of all worlds and will buy another one if something ever happens to this one.