Tarp pitching questions

snowplow

WKR
So I have been playing with my new tarp. Its my second one, a Bearpaw Lagarita 3. I ended up with this one because I liked that it was offered with a zippered door.

Maybe I'm late to the party, but I think it just dawned on me that unless you are spiking it straight to the ground there is no point in having a door...

What do you guys think. I almost bought a supertarp (no door) but figured it would be nice for a number of reasons to be able to close it up (rain etc).

Is the door a big deal? Is it pointless when raised off the ground a foot? What about when spiked straight down?

Clovis

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Kifaru Supertarp--I bought an annex but almost never use it and never miss it when I don't. Maybe if the tarp is all buttoned down and you are using the stove, but even then I don't like to use the annex. I prefer the feel and ventilation of an open front.

OP
S

snowplow

WKR
I have a Kifaru Supertarp--I bought an annex but almost never use it and never miss it when I don't. Maybe if the tarp is all buttoned down and you are using the stove, but even then I don't like to use the annex. I prefer the feel and ventilation of an open front.
Do you guys remember how tall the supertarp is (the trekking pole) when pitched in your normal A-frame configuration spiked straight to the ground?

I'm just asking because this is La Garita 3 ended up being a lot shorter than I expected. Which was one of the main reasons I bought it.

Also how far of usable open space between poles?

Thanks a bunch

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

Clovis

Lil-Rokslider
Do you guys remember how tall the supertarp is (the trekking pole) when pitched in your normal A-frame configuration spiked straight to the ground?

I'm just asking because this is La Garita 3 ended up being a lot shorter than I expected. Which was one of the main reasons I bought it.

Also how far of usable open space between poles?

Thanks a bunch

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

Kifaru's website say 52 inch height in the front. I don't know the exact length, but I am 6'3'' and have plenty of room to stretch out between the front and back poles. Even buttoned down it is luxurious space for one.

I don't recall but as far as length goes,.I think that beyond the length of your bag plus maybe 18" the rest of that space is useless

mtnkid85

WKR
I use the zPacks hexamid with the extended beak. I generally pitch it tight to the ground and leave the beak rolled up unless its raining/snowing or Im trying to keep mosquitoes out.

That said I wouldn't want to be without that extra protection.