Western Mountaineering Versalite

frankrb3

WKR
Hey everyone. I've been looking at getting a new sleeping bag to replace my military modular sleep system (heavy) that I have been using. I've been looking at western mountaineering and was strongly considering the Badger GWS. Well there's a local store here that has a brand new versalite marked down to $409 from $590 because of a hole small hole they patched with tenacious tape. The guy showed me the fix and it looked good and doesn't concern me.

My questions are is this a good bag and a good deal? Whose running one and how do you like it? I'm 215lbs 6ft tall, will I have plenty of room in the bag?

I'm looking for something that will keep me warm during most of the hunting season months in Montana (Sept-Nov) and this bag is rated down to 10 degrees F. Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

Riplip

WKR
Cant go wrong with a Western Mountaineering bag. I think most will agree that they tend to be conservative on their ratings, so this bag will be super warm, definitely keep you warm for months you are talking about. Perhaps a bit too warm for September, but you can always unzip.

You are probably right at the max between regular and long, so you may want to try in store to make sure it is long enough.

Sounds like a great deal on the bag as WM has a great warranty and I am sure they would repair the bag if you sent to them. Good luck.

Clovis

Lil-Rokslider
Can you try it out before buying to check the fit? I have a couple of their long bags and am about your size and feel like I have just barely enough room in the chest.

LandYacht

WKR
I’ve had a Versalite for 6 years now and it’s the best bag I’ve owned.

The full zip lets you use it like a quilt, but you can zip up when the weather gets nasty and utilize the full draft collar and draft tube to get every degree out of the bag.

I’d test it out in the store and see if it fits you. I’m 6’ and 185 and find the regular to be the perfect size.

If the bag fits you, I’d be buying it as soon as I got out of it. You aren’t going to find a better price on a new bag, they never go on sale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
F

frankrb3

WKR
If it fits, buy it NOW!

Damn you! As soon as I read this comment I ran to the store and bought it. Glad I did though. Seems like a sweet bag for a decent knockdown price. It fits great but there will be some getting used to the mummy bag shape. Thanks for your everyone's quick feedback.

OP
F

frankrb3

WKR
Can you try it out before buying to check the fit? I have a couple of their long bags and am about your size and feel like I have just barely enough room in the chest.

I did get it inside the bag in the store before buying and I find the chest area to be exactly as you described it. It's not tight by any means but there's no room to stretch out my arms while the bag is zipped up all the way. I'm pretty sure this is intended though with the mummy shape. Thanks for your comment.

boom

WKR
Damn you! As soon as I read this comment I ran to the store and bought it. Glad I did though. Seems like a sweet bag for a decent knockdown price. It fits great but there will be some getting used to the mummy bag shape. Thanks for your everyone's quick feedback.

damn..do they have another one??!!

OP
F

frankrb3

WKR
damn..do they have another one??!!

They do for the regular price of $590. This one was 30% off because of a small puncture the size of a pencil eraser which they patched with a piece of tenacious tape. Totally worth the marked down price in my opinion.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Its a nice bag, I have one and am very pleased. I try to not beat on it because its light weight material but holds up to normal use on a sleeping pad fine, in turn it packs down small and is light. I picked up a cheaper synthetic bag for warm weather use/abuse. I've been cozy in it down to 10f. I'm 6' but 175-190range normally with plenty of room.

boom

WKR
They do for the regular price of $590. This one was 30% off because of a small puncture the size of a pencil eraser which they patched with a piece of tenacious tape. Totally worth the marked down price in my opinion.

oh..

can you go and stab another hole in a bag? hahah.. just kidding.

you got a rocking deal!!

(sorry, i just read versalite and $400something, and got all excited..i missed this nugget of info in the original post)

The Versalite is a great bag, I think you'll be pleased. A few years ago I wanted to test out the temp rating on mine and I slept on my deck at -11 with base layers and a beanie, I did not get cold. I don't use mine as much as I once did because I find my synthetic bags to be superior for how I hunt.

OP
F

frankrb3

WKR
The Versalite is a great bag, I think you'll be pleased. A few years ago I wanted to test out the temp rating on mine and I slept on my deck at -11 with base layers and a beanie, I did not get cold. I don't use mine as much as I once did because I find my synthetic bags to be superior for how I hunt.

This is nice to hear. I'm excited to have a bag that is so light with the ability to keep me warm during hunting season nights here in Montana.

Trial153

WKR
I wish I could get a WM bag with a 0 or 10 rating with a wider foot area.

I wish I could get a WM bag with a 0 or 10 rating with a wider foot area.

WM Sequoia.
Semi rectangular with wider foot box. Only 5 degree rating but more fill weight than my WM kodiak which is 0 degree rated. The sequoia is very roomy but the kodiak definitely sleeps warmer. I guess the slim fit causes this.

The OP says how the versa lite is snug fit. The badger is a lot more roomy.

OP
F

frankrb3

WKR
WM Sequoia.
Semi rectangular with wider foot box. Only 5 degree rating but more fill weight than my WM kodiak which is 0 degree rated. The sequoia is very roomy but the kodiak definitely sleeps warmer. I guess the slim fit causes this.

I would love to also get the sequoia someday. That sleeping bag looks awesome. Versalite will be really nice for backpack trips for now.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Hey everyone. I've been looking at getting a new sleeping bag to replace my military modular sleep system (heavy) that I have been using. I've been looking at western mountaineering and was strongly considering the Badger GWS. Well there's a local store here that has a brand new versalite marked down to $409 from $590 because of a hole small hole they patched with tenacious tape. The guy showed me the fix and it looked good and doesn't concern me.

My questions are is this a good bag and a good deal? Whose running one and how do you like it? I'm 215lbs 6ft tall, will I have plenty of room in the bag?

I'm looking for something that will keep me warm during most of the hunting season months in Montana (Sept-Nov) and this bag is rated down to 10 degrees F. Any input is appreciated. Thanks.
Plenty of room in the bag? Not really. Warm? Absolutely. I almost picked one up til i crawled in it, just too tight for my tastes. I'm 6'3" 215. I went with a Kodiak MF and pretty well set. Hard to beat the quality of WM.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
WM Sequoia.

The Kodiak isn't exactly a slim fit, but it is definitely slimmer than the Sequioa.

sneaky

"DADDY"
FWIW, the Versalite i tried was a long, didn't try to cram into a regular. You guys all missed out back around presidents day. Campsaver had a bunch of WM bags on sale for 40% off. Badgers, Sequoias, Kodiaks etc etc. It was an in store sale only, but l live close to them and usually catch all their sales.

How's this bag handle the wet like condensation or climbing in with wet clothes? Kinda stupid question being down, but I looked at one this weekend and it looks freaking sweet. But it seems here in MT in September it's either raining or snowing a foot or two.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk