SO silvertip accessories

jayrad313

FNG
decided to change up my sleep system and purchased an SO silvertip. I chose no screen doors, and the stove jack. This will be my first floorless so had a couple questions about any accessories i might need/want and what stove to get.
Read as much as i can about the SO stove, tigoat, and Lite outdoors, it seems like a toss up unless anyone has anything to add?
Will my single trekking pole work or do i need a pole extender or lash 2 poles together?
what should i use on the ground? piece of tyvek, sil-poly, SO ground tarp, any other ideas?
Did i make a mistake going no screen doors? figured if it bothered me i could buy the nest down the road.
thanks for the help.

I went with a Silvertip outftted the same way.I think a lite outdoors stove is a good idea and I plan to get a 1 man bug nest From Bearpaw wilderness design for bug prone season s.

dog812

WKR
I tried the painters sheet thing. Ripped too easy... Not worth it
Also I picked up a single bug net from China for a fraction of the price works great.
1bcfe38d960734c06483245f477c5123.jpg

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
You will need a pole extender or lash two together I bought the attachment they offer to connect two poles together but chose to buy a separate pole through rei...if you would like the connect a pole attachment you can have it paying for shipping only

Ive been putting my sleeping pad on tyvec for years with no problems.You can pitch it with one treckking pole but I bought one from r e I as well

Last edited:
OP
jayrad313

jayrad313

FNG
Thanks for all the advice. I was a bit confused on the stove because the SO stove is 3.125 chimney pipe and the Lite outdoors is 2.5 so I didn’t know if it would be sloppy in the stove jack or not.

I don't think they cut the pipe hole for you( they did not cut mine)it was just sketch Ed out with a sharpie.Making a snug fit is not important anyway

AustinL911

Lil-Rokslider
They cut my stove jack and it works fine with my LO stove.

Things to do:
-Ditch the zippers, use UL cord instead
-Buy a Borah Gear UL bivy (or similar) and skip the nest and Tyvek. The bivy serves both purposes and is much lighter, plus it protects your pad and bag/quilt from condensation.
-Add UL cord to all stake points so you can elevate the shelter a few inches if you want ventilation.
-Learn some knots
-Seam seal it. I used the SilNet they send you (or whatever it is), mixed with mineral spirits until it was a light syrup consistency. I pitched the SilverTip inside out, then painted it on all the seams and thread. The thinness allowed it to soak in better, IMO, and to get under all the seams better.
-

texag10

WKR
I did exactly what Austin outlined. Taut line hitches for the cordage at all stake and guy out points so I can easily adjust length.

I don't have a bug bivy yet, but will get one if I feel I need it later. I lay my pad on a sheet of plastic that I had laying around. I applied stripes of undiluted silnet sealant in an X pattern and my pad stays put on top of it.

tommymo

Lil-Rokslider
I picked up the Silver Tip for this past season, for the most part I think its a great little solo shelter, the biggest issue is dealing with condensation (comes with going floorless), especially if your pitching on wet ground, which was my case this September. For the most part ventilation is key to managing condensation, here are some tips I found to be helpful with the silvertip.

1. Put guy outs on all of your stake outs, learn how to tie the appropriate knots to handle the right amount of tension. This will help with air flow and aid in combating condensation.

2. If its not raining or to windy sleep with the door open, if not then the vent at the top is your only option.

3. I used a Tyvek ground sheet, helped to protect my pad and keep some gear clean, going to upgrade to a gore tex bivy this season, one of the issues I had was that I was dealing with alot of precipitation, so my condensation was pretty bad. Being careful not to touch the side walls would only last so long, the issue was when I did it allowed for enough condensation to accumulate that it would rain down on me, the first night my down bag got pretty wet. The idea behind the bivy is to serve as some additional protection for my bag. I got this idea from a video Randy Newburg did this past season in WY.

good luck with the bivy.I've tried three diff."breathable "bivys and my bag is always wet in the a.m.
I had a T I Goat and a Borah and a Hilleberg bivanorak

OP
jayrad313

jayrad313

FNG
i'll add all these to the "To-Do" list. Silvertip should be here today then i need to decide what stove I'm going to get.

DWP51

Lil-Rokslider
They cut my stove jack and it works fine with my LO stove.

-Buy a Borah Gear UL bivy (or similar) and skip the nest and Tyvek. The bivy serves both purposes and is much lighter, plus it protects your pad and bag/quilt from condensation.
-Add UL cord to all stake points so you can elevate the shelter a few inches if you want ventilation.
-Learn some knots
-Seam seal it. I used the SilNet they send you (or whatever it is), mixed with mineral spirits until it was a light syrup consistency. I pitched the SilverTip inside out, then painted it on all the seams and thread. The thinness allowed it to soak in better, IMO, and to get under all the seams better.
-

I have a Cimarron and I live and hunt in some wet conditions (Western Washington). I picked up this bivy bag from Borah Borah Gear: Side Zipper Ultralight Bivy

When sleeping it keeps my bag safe from condensation That might drip off of the walls. The netting is good for bugs and I have yet to experience condensation with it because it allows my breath and a significant amount of my body moisture to escape.. When I leave for the day to hunt I roll it up from the top so that the netting in rolled under and part of the bottom (from about waist level) is facing up. Essentially folding it in half. Then I place something on it to hold it. That way the waterproof bottom material provides more protection like a rolled up potato bug.

Of corse running a stove helps a ton with condensation. A few years ago it was in the low 30's and raining for days on end, like it was trying to snow but couldn't quite get cold enough. It was one of the worst scenarios that I have been in for condensation. I ran the stove for almost every second that I was in the shelter and I did not have significant condensation. There was a good amount in the first 1-1.5 feet up the walls from the ground, but combination of it not being above my sleep system and the stove kept my gear dry. Also, that was before I added tensioners and cordage to all of the stake out points so it was pitched tight to the ground. The gap would have helped for sure.

Last edited:
OP
jayrad313

jayrad313

FNG
I'm pretty much set on the LiteOutdoors cylinder stove but not sure which size i should get. most say to get the 18" vs 12" as having to use the shorter chunks of wood is a pain and you get more burn time with th 18" as well. I know they offer a 12" 18" combo, but again, i might as well not waste the money if i won't be using the 12.
any insight on which one to go with?