stove choice and pipe length for SO 8 Man

USMC2602

WKR
Picked up the SO 8 man, and now trying to make the decision on stove and pipe length.

Between the SO XL and XLS, I'm leaning XLS as it looks "large enough" to me while still having a slight weight advantage.

Regarding pipe length, I'm thinking a 9.5 foot, rather than the 9.0 just to give me a little more height.

This is not a small purchase for me, so wanted to throw it out there and get your thoughts.

Last edited:

mcseal2

WKR
I bought mine last year as a package with the XL stove and pipe they recommend for the 8 man. I can't remember the length but they have a chart on their site I'm pretty sure. It worked well for us in temps down to 0 and 15" of snow.

I'd go with the XL stove. Either the XL or SXL would warm it up real good, but the XL will let you load up more wood for a longer burn when you want it.

I have a 6-man and SXL stove. Seems like a good pairing. I think 8-man and XL are a good pairing too.

I have a 9-foot pipe on mine. a little longer than needed, but no burn holes, and enough to trim the bottom if it gets too raggedy after a while.

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
SXL to XL is about 10 oz difference, the price difference is $45.

10 oz is a lot if you're backpacking, not that much if you're truck camping or horse packing.

The two stoves are the same length and width, the XL is taller with a bigger door. So you can get bigger chunks in the XL which means longer burn times, more heat, and less wood prep. Either stove will warm up the 8, the difference will be frequency of feeding.

Backpacking, I'd take the SXL. Anything else I'd upsize.