0* sleeping bag suggestions

You might want to ask yourself if you'll really be out there in zero degree cold and how often you anticipate that. I wouldn't buy more temp rating than you're likely to need 75% of the time. On extremely cold nights you can add clothing layers to stay warmer. It works and it's not a hassle.

rklein

Lil-Rokslider
Please don't underestimate the importance of the pad underneath whatever bag/quilt you end up buying. Getting a super warm bag and a low r-value pad is akin to getting a fancy rifle and putting a cheap scope on it. Get something with an r-value of at least 4. For the money the neoair X-therm(not x light) is fantastic with an r-value of 5.7. Sometimes you can find them on sale for $150. I would take the advice of an earlier post and accumulate good gear over time if you have to. I am a big fan of big agnes bags for the money.

OP
G
i definitely want to try and buy great gear one piece at a time and eventually have a stellar setup that's why i am getting the EXO 5500 pack first then working on filling it.

but what did you more experienced guys do to get by while you worked your way up in gear? right now i have a 30* flannel bag that is a heavy beast. i have traditionally hunted out of my wall tent and it was great there. but if i want to start packing this year do i tough out hauling a ten pound bag or start with a $30 coleman or what? everyone is saying hold out for a $300+ bag but what then would be the suggestion in the meantime?

FURMAN

WKR
If you absolutely can not swing for a EE I would keep looking at Sierra Trading Post. Once in awhile they will have 5 degree bags weighing right at 3lbs for around $100. I have two. The worst thing is they take WAAAY too much space.

BRWNBR

WKR
i definitely want to try and buy great gear one piece at a time and eventually have a stellar setup that's why i am getting the EXO 5500 pack first then working on filling it.

but what did you more experienced guys do to get by while you worked your way up in gear? right now i have a 30* flannel bag that is a heavy beast. i have traditionally hunted out of my wall tent and it was great there. but if i want to start packing this year do i tough out hauling a ten pound bag or start with a $30 coleman or what? everyone is saying hold out for a $300+ bag but what then would be the suggestion in the meantime?

Before I had good gear??. I carried more weight and had just as much fun on my adventures!

So much cheap stuff works just fine! I guided for ten years outa two one man tents that combined were barely $300 bucks. Spring for a hillieberg and regretted it every night.
Used a cascade designs sleeping bag for years on a foam pad. Worked just fine.
Wore cheap cabelas fleece. Lasted me over a decade.
Wore ankle fit hip boots everywhere. Even for Sheep and goat hunts.
Still don’t have binoculars that cost me over a grand.
Just because Sitka and kuiu were invented don’t mean you will die hunting in sweat pants.

Last edited:

LandYacht

WKR
I’d keep my $150 in my pocket unless it got me exactly what I was wanting. If your old bag is too big, get something for $50 or less that will get you by for this year and then if you have kids let them use it. Take the $100 you saved and add it to get the drool bag next year.

Something to think about is true temp ratings. You can get very different temp ratings from different manufacturers. My 10 degree WM Versalite stomps my dad’s 5 degree Kelty by at least 15 degrees.

As mentioned earlier, focus on your pad too, your bag won’t insulate under you, so you’ll need to match your pad’s R value with the bag you end up getting.

The lighter and more compact with more warmth you choose to go the more money you are going to shell out. It’s a mean curve too when you start getting to a certain warmth/weight threshold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I wanted the best $150 bag I could buy, I would buy it pre-owned....probably from the classifieds here or from Ebay. I'd do the research on bags costing new between $200 and $350 in your temp and size rating, made by respected companies. Do enough of that and you'll have a list of models you prefer. Watch/search for those and one will show up in your price range. A pre-owned bag can be a very good investment, as long as you know it's been properly maintained.

And in case you haven't heard this: the less internal excess air space your bag holds, the easier it is to stay warm. Big roomy bags feel great but are less efficient at retaining your heat. Try to buy a bag which has just enough size for your needs. Maybe it's not a true mummy fit, but it would be tapered and not excessively large for your body.

Save your pennies and buy it right the first time. If you're already considering buying a down top and bottom, then you can always sleep in those while using a bag that isn't rated down to 0. Lots of great bags out there, but they're going to come at a price if you want something rated for 0 and lightweight.

BCRICK

FNG
Marmot Never Summer. You will pay more than $150 but it is an awesome down bag that packs small and weighs 3lbs. Very good value with high reviews. I have taken mine to low temps and stayed comfy.

I got a pack, some good outer clothes, tipi with stove . Then I got the cheap bag for like $50 at shopko on sale. Then a Klymit pad.
Rainier 3.5lb Zero Degree Mummy Sleeping Bag: Shopko

It is a 0 degree and they say 3.5 lbs, but mine was over 4.
It worked great for 2 seasons, cause I had a stove and good clothes and a good pad. It really is a decent bag for cost.

Then this year I upgraded to a high end bag.

I will still use the old cheap bag on some hunts, to not risk tearing the high end back when not needed on warmer hunts.
I think a good bag is some where up on the top of the list of items to get.

But for me it was
Some clothes (incl boots)
Pack
tipi w/stove
bag/pad
More clothes
More clothes
More clothes

This is assuming you already have cook stove, water filtration, kill kit, emergency kit, lighting, etc....

Maverick940

Banned
Before I had good gear??. I carried more weight and had just as much fun on my adventures!

So much cheap stuff works just fine! I guided for ten years outa two one man tents that combined were barely $300 bucks. Spring for a hillieberg and regretted it every night.
Used a cascade designs sleeping bag for years on a foam pad. Worked just fine.
Wore cheap cabelas fleece. Lasted me over a decade.
Wore ankle fit hip boots everywhere. Even for Sheep and goat hunts.
Still don’t have binoculars that cost me over a grand.
Just because Sitka and kuiu were invented don’t mean you will die hunting in sweat pants.

This ^^^^^^^

BRWNBR

WKR
Just as long as they aren't cotton sweat pants. ;)

First several years of guiding was in military bdu cotton pants! Other guides were rolling hunts in their blue jeans. My boss lived in his cotton sweat pants.

We have better purposed gear available to us. But getting hung up on purchasing the high dollar stuff might cause some folks to miss out on actually having fun and going hunting. I’d rather spend my money on a hunt than not hunt and save that money for a $500 raincoat.

BRWNBR

WKR
I'm really glad you posted this. I was looking at new bags for this year and went over and checked them out. The weight of those quilts is exactly what I was looking for.

I have the 0 degree EE quilt and love
It!! I think it’s warmer than my 0 degree mummy bags.

Maverick940

Banned
I have the 0 degree EE quilt and love
It!! I think it’s warmer than my 0 degree mummy bags.

Anymore, I pretty much just unzip my 30 year old, twenty degree, synthetic-fill Marmot bag and drape it over me like a blanket. Even when those October/November bear or mountain goat hunts dip below zero. The pad that's under me is more important than what's covering me, I think. Granted, there have been nights when it went to twenty below zero and I woke with a chill. But for the most part, I sleep just fine with that twenty degree bag, even when it's sub-zero.

BRWNBR

WKR
I get cold easy when I sleep been that way forever. I gotta have the warmer bag/quilt.

Idahomnts

Lil-Rokslider
Look at gearchase.com seeing some decent bags on there right now , quite a few around 150 $