0* sleeping bag suggestions

I am getting into backpack hunting and I hunt everything from opening day of archery to the last day of whitetail season in December. so because I don't want to foot the bill for multiple bags to accommodate such a wide range of temp swings I am looking for a good 0* bag. I want it to be as light, durable, warm, and water resistant as possible. you know the works haha. and by the way id like to keep the cost under or near $150. anybody got any suggestions?

Northernpiker

WKR
Classified Approved
How light do you want it, to pack in for a couple days? Hard to find a good, light, 0* for $150. I would watch the Rokslide classifieds and check local Classifieds in your area.

FURMAN

WKR
If you are going to be getting away from the truck/trailhead I would strongly suggesting buy once cry once. Enlightened equipment 0 degree quilt would be my suggestion. You can start with a foam pad and move up to an air pad as budget allows. Based on your comment about not wanting multiple bags I would lean even harder to the EE quilt. When it gets warm out you can just uncover like you would at home. When it is Super cold out it will keep you warm. Mine is great and I am a cold sleeper.

Light durable warm and water resistance = > $150.
I have a WM kodiak that is 0 rated and kicks ass. Got it on here used for $350

OP
G
How light do you want it, to pack in for a couple days? Hard to find a good, light, 0* for $150. I would watch the Rokslide classifieds and check local Classifieds in your area.

light isn't so much an issue as functionality and durability. id be willing to carry more weight if it got me a bag that does its job at my price point.
I'm also not against going used to up the bang for my buck

and yes I'm looking at doing anywhere from 1-8 days 2-5 miles in in several different locations at different points in the season

OP
G
If you are going to be getting away from the truck/trailhead I would strongly suggesting buy once cry once. Enlightened equipment 0 degree quilt would be my suggestion. You can start with a foam pad and move up to an air pad as budget allows. Based on your comment about not wanting multiple bags I would lean even harder to the EE quilt. When it gets warm out you can just uncover like you would at home. When it is Super cold out it will keep you warm. Mine is great and I am a cold sleeper.

I have considered going with a quilt but kind of dismissed the idea due to the fact that I move a LOT when I sleep and didn't think I could keep a quilt on

FURMAN

WKR
I toss and turn and find it much more comfortable than a mummy.

OP
G
Light durable warm and water resistance = > $150.
I have a WM kodiak that is 0 rated and kicks ass. Got it on here used for $350
I'm also getting
new boots
exo 5500
tent
range finder
and I just got an in reach last weekend
and i could use new base layer preferably Marino, and why not a puffy while we are at it

what id like to not get is a divorce haha so I am looking to hold to a particular budget for this year and on a bag id like the best i can get for around 150 and realize it wont be the best there is

Boiler

Lil-Rokslider
Look at hyke and byke. I got a 0 degree bag from them cheap. Had good reviews, but I haven't tried it yet. Seems like a good, warm, lightweight bag though.

For that budget a wiggys superlight 0 would be a good bet. Tough as nails and heavy (want to say mine is a true 6lb), and doesn't pack down very small...but won't break your budget, will keep you warm, and you can't screw it up. I've slept in my 0 in some cold cold nights and it's always done well. I think I got mine for right around $150 or $175...somewhere around that price.

BRWNBR

WKR
Your wants may not meet your reality. There comes a point when your after good gear that you have to do it in pieces. This year the tent, next year the quilt, etc. slow bleeding the woman are usually better with than ripping out the jugular to your bank account!

The EE quilt is amazing. Mine is a 0 degree. I have a neo xtherm pad for it. Nice set up. Warm and right about 3lbs. Good investment. Do whatcha can shopping classifieds and deals, don’t stresss if ya don’t get your gear all dialed in right away.

dog812

WKR
I have been using a marmot trestles 13 for about 5 years , it was cheap...I hunt roughly 40 nights a year. I have used it in every imaginable scenario....fly in sheep hunts, sleeping in the snow, warm elk hunts...it's never failed me. Best $100 I have spent.

section8mainiac

Lil-Rokslider
I used a 0 degree Summit down bag from Outdoor Vitals last year. Kept me warm in the low teens in CO and under $200. Lightweight too.

Thanks, Matt

FURMAN

WKR
Just a quick look around would have me looking at the Outdoor Vitals 0 degree. Definitely not light by todays standards but will work. I can almost guarantee if you spend any amount of time hiking into the backcountry you will upgrade to lighter weight later and I will end costing you more money. Those suggesting you buy the right one the first time have been there, myself included.

i'm following along as i'm in a similar boat. need a cold weather bag for the occasional overnighter. i've been looking at the lower cost down options on amazon (hyke and byke, paria thermodown, outdoor vitals). i've got a big pack though so synthetic isn't off the table. wiggys has marpat/acu pattern bags on sale that would probably be a solid cheap option but they're going to be bulky i'm sure.

dmoto

Lil-Rokslider
Kelty Cosmic Down. Worked great on my elk hunt last year at 7500'. Temps in the low 20's and I was comfy. Occasionally you can find them on sale for about $170. At least that's what I paid for mine.

I got a $50 bag at a shopko
Its suppose to be a 0 degree bag
It is a bit over 4 lbs
I doubt it's 0 degrees
But it kept me warm in Utah in Feb, March at 20 degrees or so

I will add I had a decent pad and a tent stove

My grand kids were with me and just Coleman bags, and were fine too

You sound like you're building your system this year and going to drop a lot of coin

Decent clothes help a bunch both in the woods and the bag for people on a budget

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk