Shelter decisions

I currently have a marmot catalyst 2p tent as my back country set up (4lbs) and would like to go lighter. I do most of my back pack hunts in September in the high country of bc so I have to be prepared for anything weather wise. I'm a larger guy at 6'4 so I need at least a 2p shelter (for me and gear). Lets hear what you guys recommend!

CorbLand

WKR
Floor less is the way to go if your trying to shed weight. Plenty of options out there. Kifaru and Seek Outside make some of the most popular ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DWP51

Lil-Rokslider
Seek Outside LBO + Vestibule or Seek Outside Silvertip would fit your needs well. Both of those would save you a pound or more (according to Marmot that tent is closer to 5lbs than 4...) and be far more weather worthy.

BRWNBR

WKR
I think tarptent has some light tents if you’d prefer
To have a actual tent.
I can’t bring myself to go floorless. But your already at a pretty light 2p tent. Not sure your gonna beat that by much without just covering yourself with a single layer of material.

TJ

WKR
You might want to take a look at the Big Agnes Tigerwall 2. It is a touch smaller than what your currently using, a lot lighter though.
The tigerwall 3 is even less than 3 lbs, worth a look.

Tarp tents are also a good choice.

ChrisF

FNG
I used to haul around a Mountain Hardwear 2 person tent at 5lbs. I switched to a Black Diamond Megalight which is less than 2 lbs. It has plenty of room for me and everything I can carry. The Megalight has gotten me through a massive rainstorm in northern Saskatchewan so Ican vouch for its storm-worthiness. It's easily found in Canada so you can save shipping from the US and all of the duties that come with it.

OP
C
I think tarptent has some light tents if you’d prefer
To have a actual tent.
I can’t bring myself to go floorless. But your already at a pretty light 2p tent. Not sure your gonna beat that by much without just covering yourself with a single layer of material.

I'm the same way, I like the tarp tent but wonder what shipping, duties, etc would run a guy

ChrisF

FNG
I'm the same way, I like the tarp tent but wonder what shipping, duties, etc would run a guy

If you watch the Gearswap site on MEC there are often Tarptents and other shelters in for a decent price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Idahomnts

Lil-Rokslider
Lots of buzz on mountainsmith lt shelter, just picked one up and pretty impressed with it , for the price it’s a nice little shelter, and if you don’t like it , they sell on here pretty quick , thought I just seen one in the classifieds, there’s a detailed thread on here about them to on weather proofness

amp713

WKR
I'm running a luxe hexpeak tipi shelter with extra stakes and guy lines and the ground sheet I'm just barely over 2 pounds. You however are tall enough you may wanna look towards the XL... I just spent a few days in the bookcliffs and got snow, hail, rain, and some screaming winds. It held up great. The biggest issue is half The tipi got covered in snow in the one storm and my bottom zipper froze up and hopped a few teeth. I got it fixed but wanted to mention it. They are a lot more affordable to give you a chance to test floorless and see if it's for you.

Erica here frm Tarptent... here's what I've gathered on the extra costs for Canadians...

First off, yes. Shipping to Canada is technically "international" shipping, so it is a bit more expensive.

You won't have to pay "duty" per say because Tarptents are made in the USA and NAFTA applies. Some provinces make folks pay Canadian sales tax upon arrival of the tent. The official tax is "HST", so you can look up based on your province what percentage you will pay. I believe most of the Western provinces don't have this tax, but the Eastern ones do. We do undervalue all shelters for the customs forms ($100 for single wall, $200 for double wall, $400 for Li I think), so I believe that is the number they use to calculate the percentage.