EE Quilt Questions before ordering....

tmwtrfwler

Lil-Rokslider
I'm about to pull the trigger on a revelation.

1) does anyone have an issue with laying on the buckles when wrapped on the pad?
2) anyone have issue with the drawcord at the top falling in your face?
3) has anyone had drafting issues that created cold spots? woudl think not if hooked to the pad properly.

thanks guys.

as.ks.ak

WKR
I'm about to pull the trigger on a revelation.

1) does anyone have an issue with laying on the buckles when wrapped on the pad?
2) anyone have issue with the drawcord at the top falling in your face?
3) has anyone had drafting issues that created cold spots? woudl think not if hooked to the pad properly.

thanks guys.

No.

No.

No.

Go for it!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
T

tmwtrfwler

Lil-Rokslider
So no issue with 0* quilt in a Wyoming mid October elk hunt?

I’ll be somewhat cheating bc it’ll be a basecamp woth wall tents. So don’t really need that much temp

efnm

WKR
As long as you're not a tosser and Turner, you won't have drafts. I do and had to go to extra wide.

FURMAN

WKR
I am 5'10" 165lbs and sleep cold. I went 0 degrees reg length wide. I toss and turn and spent about 60 days in mine last year. The coldest was around 15 and I had zero problem.

ljalberta

WKR
No problem sleeping on the straps. However I rarely ever use them anymore. No problem with the cord in the face, I usually pull it under the quilt so it's out of the way. No problems with drafts as long as you get a wide enough quilt and/or use the straps. EE recommended a regular width for me. Super glad I sized up and went wide. The extra few inches is great for moving about and not losing your heat. I have run into cold spots now and then in the down though. It's remedied my simply fluffing/shifting it around. Also, EE is putting 5% more down in now, so that should also help remedy that. Next quilt, I'll have them over-stuff though.

I love the quilt life and I don't think I'll ever be able to go back, outside of winter conditions. My sleep is a new level of comfy.

I bought the 20degree Revelation a couple months ago. I am 6’1” and 185 and went with the long regular. I have to admit I was skeptical until last night when I spent my first night in the new shelter and quilt. temps went to 28, it snowed a bit and the wind was 10-20 mph. I used a Therm-a-Rest pad and Borah bivy under the Zpacks Haxamid Solo Plus tarp. I was warm and slept very good just in my skivvies, llano long T, beanie and without socks. No drafts with proper use of the straps.
I do not care for the draw cord at the top being in the middle but will live for it. Several pounds in weight savings from my old gear.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

machinethomas

Lil-Rokslider
Congrats on your new quilt. I’ve got a 20* long xtra-wide Revelation that is awesome. I think you’ll be happy with it. In the summer I don’t really bother with the straps, but if it’s chilly I like the straps, it helps to keep the quilt in place as you toss and turn. I’m a big guy and happy I went with the extra-wide.

BRWNBR

WKR
I hate the cord in my face. No drafts and I’m a tosser and turner. Love mine 0 degree quilt from EE

OP
T

tmwtrfwler

Lil-Rokslider
I hate the cord in my face. No drafts and I’m a tosser and turner. Love mine 0 degree quilt from EE

I'll have to try and figure out some way to tuck it away when it arrives. There has to be some widget to wrap around it or something to prevent it from being a PITA.

THBZN

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks guys. Just ordered a Long/XWide 0* Revelation. I appreciate all the input.

Good choice. I went with the XLong/Wide 10°, which clocks in at 25 oz. I pair it up with a high R value Exped sleeping pad, and it is awesome.

I originally tried to go really light, and bought a 30° version, thinking I could pair it with a down jacket, hat, etc. and make up the temp difference. Found out the hard way that even with all of the extra layers, I got chilly during an October elk/deer hunt where we used a tarptent, and I sold it not long after and got the 10° version.

The 0° version with a warm pad will serve you well, even as a tosser/turner. I am one too, and with the straps snugged up, I don't have any issues; a little tuck here and there, and you are set. I use a Dyneema stuff sack, so it keeps it dry and really compact for the pack in/out.

OP
T

tmwtrfwler

Lil-Rokslider
Good choice. I went with the XLong/Wide 10°, which clocks in at 25 oz. I pair it up with a high R value Exped sleeping pad, and it is awesome.

I originally tried to go really light, and bought a 30° version, thinking I could pair it with a down jacket, hat, etc. and make up the temp difference. Found out the hard way that even with all of the extra layers, I got chilly during an October elk/deer hunt where we used a tarptent, and I sold it not long after and got the 10° version.

The 0° version with a warm pad will serve you well, even as a tosser/turner. I am one too, and with the straps snugged up, I don't have any issues; a little tuck here and there, and you are set. I use a Dyneema stuff sack, so it keeps it dry and really compact for the pack in/out.

Good info. I picked up a thermarest Xtherm today at REI thanks to their 20% off members sale. it's got a pretty good R value so it should do fine. I hope. Those are a bit on the noisy side without laying on them. will be interesting to see how it works out.

ljalberta

WKR
Xtherm and quilt will do the trick nicely. It's my go-to come fall. I think the noise issue is overrated. It's a slight crinkle that has never disturbed my wife or I, and she is a very light sleeper. YMMV.

OP
T

tmwtrfwler

Lil-Rokslider
I have an REI Air Rail now but it's a little too big for my liking outside of a car camp or a simple overnight. Good pad and warm but hefty/large for a long trip. excited to try this new one.

ianpadron

WKR
When things get really cold, use the straps to cinch down the bag around you instead of your pad. Eliminates what little draft there is and keeps you toasty warm. I've slept comfortably in my 0* EE quilt in the teens no problemo. You won't feel the buckles, they are seriously so tiny it's insane.