Dyneema Tents??

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Can you guys post up some links to companies making tents out of this fabric? I'm looking for something but I don't know what:)

colonel00

WKR
I'm mobile right now but I'd imagine any of the companies that were using it when it was called Cuban (SP?) or whatever. Try Hyperlight Mountain Gear

Oh, Z-packs I think is another one

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Last edited:

mlob1one

WKR
My buddy has one from Big Sky Products and really likes it (& he's an absolute gear junkie with very high standards). The response time was a little slow initially, but a great product.

How big are you looking to go?

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
Hyperlite (HMG), Mountain Laurel Designs, Bearpaw, Tarptent, ZPacks, that Japanese company that is escaping me right now lol

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

verysimple

Lil-Rokslider
Hyperlite (HMG), Mountain Laurel Designs, Bearpaw, Tarptent, ZPacks, that Japanese company that is escaping me right now lol

Locus gear?

IMO the Hyperlite Mountain Gear UltaMid is the way to go but it’s the spendiest of the bunch. I run a Mountain Laurel Designs Duomid as my solo shelter

Tanya Avery

Administrator
Staff member
Can you guys post up some links to companies making tents out of this fabric? I'm looking for something but I don't know what:)

I think this is what you are looking for
fb05a0d2701b64e0ec87ecf6da150b1c.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: CJF

sneaky

"DADDY"
I meant to say, hunt like a #LEGEND

Ten Bears

WKR
I think you are correct.

They use the Japanese sun in their logo and allow for Yen conversion on the site. Got me turning Japanese.

Has some pretty nice stuff and thought out shelters.

jmden

WKR
I've got a couple of Dyneema samples and thought it has some great qualitities, I have decided not to use it (I'm not the only one) because it starts to have issues with not too much wear in ways that good quality nylon would not. I determined that I would not want to make a shelter out of it that I expected to last a long time. The heavier weights that are similar in weight to conventional lightweight shelters may not have the same issues as soon, but then you've lost the reason for paying twice as much as you would for a similar shelter made of more conventional material. I'd do some serious searching on backpackinglight.com before springing for a Dyneema shelter.

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I've got a couple of Dyneema samples and thought it has some great qualitities, I have decided not to use it (I'm not the only one) because it starts to have issues with not too much wear in ways that good quality nylon would not. I determined that I would not want to make a shelter out of it that I expected to last a long time. The heavier weights that are similar in weight to conventional lightweight shelters may not have the same issues as soon, but then you've lost the reason for paying twice as much as you would for a similar shelter made of more conventional material. I'd do some serious searching on backpackinglight.com before springing for a Dyneema shelter.

Where does it fail? Seams? Material itself?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mosby

WKR
I was researching ultra light tents and I know that some people that hike the AT and PCT had issues with pin holes in the fabric. I can't say if it was the fabric or how they used it but some got holes. Not sure if that is what jmden is referencing.

Trial153

WKR
do any of the companies listed on this tread identify or Acknowlege hunters as part of their customer base or target?

sneaky

"DADDY"
Where does it fail? Seams? Material itself?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Abrasions are what you have to be careful with on those shelters. I'm sure AK Troutbum will chime in once he sees this. He uses the material a bunch