Bivy and tarp or two man tent?

WJS23

WKR
I have been thinking about switching it up from the tent to the bivy it’s looking for some input and recommendations

I have been thinking about switching it up from the tent to the bivy it’s looking for some input and recommendations
Any more info for what you require out of a shelter? Conditions/terrain you expect, want to run a stove or not, bugs, tipi or
a-frame, flat tarp? Some guys like a bivy with a tarp, some dont like a bivy.

Skickat från min G8142 via Tapatalk

OP
WJS23

WJS23

WKR
It will be in white mountains of New Hampshire, the wife and I are hiking all 48 of the 4000 footers this year I currently have the two man badlands tent I was thinking the mega tarp would be good or if she ends up wanting to use her hammock I would just buy the sheep tarp for me and the dog

It will be in white mountains of New Hampshire, the wife and I are hiking all 48 of the 4000 footers this year I currently have the two man badlands tent I was thinking the mega tarp would be good or if she ends up wanting to use her hammock I would just buy the sheep tarp for me and the dog
Sheep tarp will most likely be too small. For solo or especially solo plus dog, I would suggest at least 8x10 on the tarp, with plenty of tieouts. I have owned a megatarp, really stout shelter, the poles at the entrance are annoying and I think it is over priced, but it is solidly built and wind capable for sure.

There are alot more people with alot more experience with different shelters than I, hopefully they will chime in. Thats just what I can say about flat tarp and megatarp. Best of luck!

Megatarp is great for two people, gear, and a dog. Personally, I wouldn't go smaller than a paratarp for a solo tarp. I have been very happy with the switch to floorless tarps.

OP
WJS23

WJS23

WKR
Ok and what would you recommend for a bivy? I was looking at the OR one

Ok and what would you recommend for a bivy? I was looking at the OR one
I know you arent asking me, but the megatarp has alot of coverage. I think a bivy would defeat the purpose of having a full coverage tarp. The megatarp will protect you and your gear in anything.

colersu22

WKR
I use either a seek outside Cimarron or a seek outside DST tarp and both have plenty of room for 2 plus gear. I use a Bohra gear ultralight side zip bivy and have no complaints but it is the only one I have tried.

Seems most people go with 5-9 ounce a dwr ultralight bivy if combining with a capable shelter just for extra protection against spin drift and condensation. I agree that a full blown lb+ bivy seems to defeat the purpose of saving weight with a tarp.

OP
WJS23

WJS23

WKR
Sorry I should have been more clear the tarp would be mainly used for gear and the pup to keep them out of the rain

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor

Have you thought about going with a Hilleberg Nalo 2 or Nalo 2 GT? They are really light weight and can fit you and your wife with no of problem of the dog. The Nalo 2 GT gives you the extra room for packs and maybe the dog because of the vestibule it has. I use mine pretty much from the beginning of summer till late December at any elevation i push myself to in Colorado.