Light My Pipe

Actually, help me heat it.

I have a stove but it's in Alaska now. Just bought a new longer 3" ti pipe and need to burn it in so it retains shape. I tried placing the end of the pipe over the burner on my Primus isobutane stove, but it would not burn hot enough to get the pipe really hot. Failure there. I need some way to send serious heat up that pipe until it gets really hot and changes color as titanium does. Ideas?

Ratamahatta

Lil-Rokslider
What about a bernzomatic torch?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

OP
Kevin Dill
It would be more of a challenge to try and get a neat rolling job at moose camp. Post photos of the finished product.

Can you have a bonfire and make a spit sorta thingy apparatus and rotate it over the fire?

I've done several pipes and know how hard it is to get them correctly rolled and formed without kinks and wrinkles the first time. That's why there is NO way I'm attempting it at camp. I've already got this pipe perfectly rolled and ready to heat. I've thought about external heat but no way to apply it evenly at high temps. Uneven heat leads to uneven expansion and warpage. I've wondered about making a makeshift stove out of some type of thin metal box or can, but haven't found the right thing yet.

Tod osier

WKR
I've done several pipes and know how hard it is to get them correctly rolled and formed without kinks and wrinkles the first time. That's why there is NO way I'm attempting it at camp. I've already got this pipe perfectly rolled and ready to heat. I've thought about external heat but no way to apply it evenly at high temps. Uneven heat leads to uneven expansion and warpage. I've wondered about making a makeshift stove out of some type of thin metal box or can, but haven't found the right thing yet.

I knew that, I was joking. Rolling them under controlled conditions is hard enough.

For the bonfire, I was thinking of using it as a source of diffuse/even heat over a large area to not warp the pipe. What about buying a cheap metal funnel and cutting it off the skinny end at 2 1/2" and setting it on a high output turkey fryer and the pipe on that.

Last edited:
OP
Kevin Dill
Southern Ohio. The bonfire thing is plausible but I'd make it a last attempt, mainly because I have no way of knowing if it will work. Weed burner torch is a fine idea, but I don't own one and haven't seen one used around here where I live.

The pipe on a funnel on a turkey fryer burner would probably work if I had a fryer and if I could hold the whole vertical contraption together without a fail.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Meet your buddy in Michigan with the same stove 1/2 way or wait till June when he goes by on the Boubon Trail and fire up his stove...

Hunter Sargent

Lil-Rokslider
Know anyone with a pellet grill? Pellet grills usually have a smoke stack that you could slip your pipe over. How hot does titanium need to get?

boom

WKR
use that Weber Charcoal lighter chimney..it might actually be too hot.

i used one to cook with a wok before. it was crazy hot.

OP
Kevin Dill
Interesting ideas. The hardest thing about putting the pipe above a grill, burner or heat source is how to secure the pipe against movement. The higher above ground the heat source, the more difficult to secure the pipe. One thing that figures in: unless the pipe fits securely into the heat source, it will pull cool air in at the bottom as hot air rises. The pipe doesn't get evenly hot.

Was thinking weed burner as well. What part of S. Ohio are you in. I'm in Cincy and have such weed burner.....

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Get/borrow one of those webber chimney's for starting coals up, just make a metal plate (with 3" hole in it) to set on top with the pipe mounted in it once the coals are burning well. Use a ladder to support the pipe (hold it off the ladder with some wire/coat hanger). The chimney will still suck air in the bottom once its going with the lid on top to keep throwing up heat, you can add some coals to it as needed (if needed). Shouldn't be overly sooty either compared to a bonfire.

nrh6.7

WKR
I bet the OD of that torch is around 2.5", so you could probably adjust the bottom portion of the pipe to make it tight without messing up the shape after heating, and use a clamp to keep it secured. If not big enough just wrap the torch in aluminum foil till it fits. Just hang the pipe high enough to place the torch underneath and voila!

Neverenoughhntn

Lil-Rokslider
Maybe rig up an old metal coffee can as a temporary stove. (Or even a steel drum, though it might be a little overkill... but you could have a new burn barrel after you get the pipe burnt in)... then use some tie wire and a t-post or something to support the pipe.

OP
Kevin Dill
I actually thought about making a stove by using a Coleman fuel can.