Budget Ultralight Tarp?

applepie_eli

Lil-Rokslider
Any suggestions for cheap tarps out there for a bivy system? Looking to spend less than $50. I don't need anything super fancy because I have a ton of confidence that my bivy will keep me dry anyway. Just kinda want something to put over my head for peace of mind. Basically just want something lightweight that will keep me dry if I get out of my sleeping bag. Similar to Kifaru sheep tarp but for a fraction of the price.

Barring some really good deal on the used market, I think that it may be pretty difficult to find something that meets the criteria of light wt. and only $50. You could possibly MYOG for that price, but if your looking for something already to go, I think you may have to up the ante a little. A couple of the less expensive manufactures that come to mind are Jimmy Tarps and Bear Paw Wilderness Designs.

Owenst7

WKR
Walmart sells a puppy coated nylon tarp that's about 8 ounces for a 5x7 for like $10. I carry one for the odd time it rains when I'm hammocking in the summer. The grommets will eventually pull out, but I just roll a pebble in there and tie around it.

I'd just make something out of visqueen/painters plastic if that was my budget. A mountain shelter lt would probably be a better use of money if you buy it on sale for $80.

NW307

Lil-Rokslider
I've used ground sheets from tents I already own in the past for back up shelters before I got into sewing my own. Might even be able to find one separately for sale fairly cheap.

KBC

WKR
Walmart sells a puppy coated nylon tarp that's about 8 ounces for a 5x7 for like $10. I carry one for the odd time it rains when I'm hammocking in the summer. The grommets will eventually pull out, but I just roll a pebble in there and tie around it.

I'd just make something out of visqueen/painters plastic if that was my budget. A mountain shelter lt would probably be a better use of money if you buy it on sale for $80.
How thick is the layer of puppy?

Trial153

WKR
I am looking through some of the weights on some suggestions. I can’t help but thing that little bit of extra money for 9x9 tarp from Jimmy tarps or bearpaw is well spent.

Have a look here, lots of sizes. Might find something you like.

Tarps

I bought an XL from them last year. Good quality. Shipped from Scotland, arrived in less than 48 hrs, shipping included in price.

R4oqK5W.jpg

Have a look here, lots of sizes. Might find something you like.

Tarps

I bought an XL from them last year. Good quality. Shipped from Scotland, arrived in less than 48 hrs, shipping included in price.

R4oqK5W.jpg
I have their 3x3 tarp. It is heavy compared to silnylon, but has the features I like. I just ordered a seek outside dst tarp (out of the budget for OP's wishes, I know).

For a cheap tarp, the DD tarp has a good amount of tieouts, and you can shove a pole under the ridegline without worrying you will break it, unlike my Jimmy tarps.

Skickat från min G8142 via Tapatalk

I am looking through some of the weights on some suggestions. I can’t help but thing that little bit of extra money for 9x9 tarp from Jimmy tarps or bearpaw is well spent.
The Jimmy you are referring to isn't exactly 9x9, It is slighty rectangular. A good tarp, it is called the skyline. It lacks some key features I wish for, but for the price and weight it is a good tarp. I slept under it two days ago, in fact.
aa902b35fd81d35b4d918e5e4be1efa1.jpg

EastMT

WKR
I ordered one from Borah gear, $80, 9oz, and they added extra grommets for tie outs on the sides for me at no charge. Very fast, and email response was fast too. 6.5x9'

3f839f5dbf834927c9db315d2238bf5f.jpg

I ordered one from Borah gear, $80, 9oz, and they added extra grommets for tie outs on the sides for me at no charge. Very fast, and email response was fast too. 6.5x9'

3f839f5dbf834927c9db315d2238bf5f.jpg
$80?? The link I posted says $53.99 or something like that