The search for a shelter begins..

Over the past year I've been doing research on all the different types of shelters and FINALLY have decided on a tent/tipi with a stove. Question is.....which one?

Here's my situation: I'm currently in Montana, have a wife and a child that I would love to be able to camp with, hunt bear in the spring, hike/scout all summer and hunt elk/deer in the mountains from September-December. Usually during hunting season I'll be hunting with 1 other person.

Is there a specific size/shelter anyone with the same experience can suggest? I've watched all the GB podcasts, setup and comparison videos and would like some input from y'all. TIA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was in the same boat and chose the SeekOutside LBO. The reason I went that route is because it’s modular and I can use it several different ways to cover different scenarios. I got it with the LiteOutdoors 18” stove and so far I am really liking it!! It’s not as tall as some other options but that wasn’t a concern for me really.

1988d7e68daab8c7f60b1e47bebe25e9.jpg

texag10

WKR
The LBO makes the most sense to me too. Base only for scouting in good weather, base + vestibule for a bomber 1 or 2 person shelter, add a connecting tarp and maybe a nest when bringing the whole family. I kind of wish I'd bought an LBO instead of my Silvertip.

The LBO makes the most sense to me too. Base only for scouting in good weather, base + vestibule for a bomber 1 or 2 person shelter, add a connecting tarp and maybe a nest when bringing the whole family. I kind of wish I'd bought an LBO instead of my Silvertip.

That was my exact thoughts on it. I liked the fact that it can be taken apart to split the weight between a couple people as well. My wife and I are taking it this weekend and each of us will be carrying about a pound a piece for the shelter. Makes it pretty nice!

KurtR

WKR
I would go with the redcliff i run the cimaron now and it is nice having more head room the weight penalty is well worth it

amp713

WKR
I've been running luxe hexpeak which is a little small for what you are after but they have an octopeak 6p with stove jack and the price is gonna be pretty easy to get into and test out....

My hex has done me good and I'm sure the octo is built with the same quality.

Napperm4

WKR
I was in the same boat and chose the SeekOutside LBO. The reason I went that route is because it’s modular and I can use it several different ways to cover different scenarios. I got it with the LiteOutdoors 18” stove and so far I am really liking it!! It’s not as tall as some other options but that wasn’t a concern for me really.

1988d7e68daab8c7f60b1e47bebe25e9.jpg

Exactly what he said. Mine is perfect solo, with 2-3 partners and family camping with the wife and dog.

I love my LBO! I have two bases, middle tarp with stove jack and the Vestibule.

If I did it again I would get the Stove jack in one of the Bases and not get the Vestibule. Just 2 bases (one with stove jack) and the middle tarp and you can do it all. The round corners on the Vestibule make you loose alot of inside space compared to the 2 base set up.

OP
mountainman406
Thanks for the replies everyone! I was in between the cimmaron and sawtooth but I'm going to take a step back and do some more research on the LBO

For 3 people I would look at a bigger shelter personally. If you are a minimalist maybe the smaller ones will work. I tend to haul more than I should and appreciate extra room. Also if you are going to have a stove in the tipi, keep in mind a pile of wood will usually account for one persons space.

I agree above that many of these options will work. But I also agree with the redcliffe, as for a very minor weight penalty, it offers you room for all your needs. I often solo hunt 90% of the time and I opted for the redcliffe. But I know the seasons and location I hunt in requires me to gather and pile the entire 5 days worth of wood inside or it will for sure end up wet and a pain to get lit and smokey inside as a result. I am only 5-9" but also appreciate the height of the redcliffe cause when I am entering in with my pack on, I am now closer to 6'
lol

I will always string a line for clothes and that seems to be in my way even in this bigger tipi set up. I guess all I am saying is, you often end up wishing for more room, once you get out there and are in certain situations perhaps you didn't anticipate.
d59a01ca6b64333e21ebe4b368684c3d.jpg

Last edited:
OP
mountainman406
For 3 people I would look at a bigger shelter personally. If you are a minimalist maybe the smaller ones will work. I tend to haul more than I should and appreciate extra room. Also if you are going to have a stove in the tipi, keep in mind a pile of wood will usually account for one persons space.

I agree above that many of these options will work. But I also agree with the redcliffe, as for a very minor weight penalty, it offers you room for all your needs. I often solo hunt 90% of the time and I opted for the redcliffe. But I know the seasons and location I hunt in requires me to gather and pile the entire 5 days worth of wood inside or it will for sure end up wet and a pain to get lit and smokey inside as a result. I am only 5-9" but also appreciate the height of the redcliffe cause when I am entering in with my pack on, I am now closer to 6'
lol

I will always string a line for clothes and that seems to be in my way even in this bigger tipi set up. I guess all I am saying is, you often end up wishing for more room, once you get out there and are in certain situations perhaps you didn't anticipate.
d59a01ca6b64333e21ebe4b368684c3d.jpg

Thank you for the input mfllood. I was thinking that the smaller shelters may not be enough for us 3+stove and extra firewood. My biggest concern is 1 the shelter holds up in inclement weather and 2 when my wife and daughter are with me they enjoy themselves without having to sleep on top of each other or get soaked from being pushed up against the walls. If I'm going to invest in a good shelter I want to make sure I don't have to sell due to lack of space. What size stove are you running in your redcliffe?

Thank you for the input mfllood. I was thinking that the smaller shelters may not be enough for us 3+stove and extra firewood. My biggest concern is 1 the shelter holds up in inclement weather and 2 when my wife and daughter are with me they enjoy themselves without having to sleep on top of each other or get soaked from being pushed up against the walls. If I'm going to invest in a good shelter I want to make sure I don't have to sell due to lack of space. What size stove are you running in your redcliffe?

I have had mine in 40+ mph last winter up at 10,000 in Utah mountains. It was snowin and blowin, and it held great. I always put out all of my guy lines cause the weather can change quickly here.
The stove I used is a Lite Outdoors 18". This , to me, is a perfect combo for back pack hunting as well as back yard camping. Myself and 2 grand kids stayed in this a couple winters ago in Utah in Feb and they didn't get cold, as it was I getting up thru-out the night refreshing the would every few hours. Did the wood last that long? NO, but there was always enough coals in there for me to restock it and get a burn going.

We run a BPWD luna 6. 10' x 10' base. We like it and it was a bit cheaper than some mentioned. We did get some extra screening put in. I have nothing to compare it to, but it works for us.

Haven't found many that dislike the lite outdoors stove. We run the 18", but haven't used it much honestly. Weather has been really warm the last 3 years.

Attachments

• 20150429_183702.jpg
    20150429_183702.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 117
  • uploadfromtaptalk1438528082663.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1438528082663.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 109
  • uploadfromtaptalk1438528056232.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1438528056232.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 110
One more vote for the Redcliff + lite outdoors 18 for the reasons mentioned. When you are splitting that minimal weight difference between a few people it just seems to make sense to me to get the added room and height, especially if its a multi-day shelter in the backcountry (wood pile). I've never heard of anyone reporting a durability issue, even in nasty weather, with the redcliff although it is true that the sawtooth does use a thicker fabric.

amp713

WKR
remember a bigger shelter also equals bigger footprint so don't get a big set up and then try to do a minimal impact camp.

Just tossing it out.

My buddy and I have been using a Kifaru 6- man tipi with medium box stove. Plenty of room for gear and lots of extra firewood. I've comfortably had 3 adults share the same shelter.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

mlob1one

WKR
Plus one for the LBO & it's permutations. I have any 18" Smith cylinder stove and I love it.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Trying to do family camping and backpack hunting with the same shelter is an exercise in frustration.

I'd suggest something like a Cimarron for your hunting, and an 8-man for the family.

Just decide which comes first.

OP
mountainman406
Thanks for the replies everyone, I really appreciate all the info you have presented!