Shelter Stakes

MTtrout

WKR
I pretty much do what AustinL does but lately I've used more of the regular groundhogs because the minis break/bend easier in hard ground. My friend has MSR knockoffs and they are worthless.

blackdawg

WKR
I used MSR cyclone knockoffs from amazon last season. I didn't have any problems and they were Wayyyyy cheaper! When I lose or break those I might get to feeling rich and buy the cyclones. The twist in the stake really made it grab the ground and hold in high winds. My MSR groundhogs are now doing backup duty. I am not 100% sure where you wouldn't want to use them, it might be wise to test some different areas, I didn't pound through hard rocky soil, the areas I used them had some type of soil/sand/mud to drive them into.

Owenst7

WKR
I like the mountainsmith stakes that come with the mountain shelter about as much as the groundhawgs. I carry a mix of both. Those two are the best combo of weight, holding power, and strength that I've found.

I tried the Lawson Equipment stakes and snapped two just pushing them into topsoil by hand. Glad I had extra stakes with me.

Napperm4

WKR
I carry a mix of Groundhogs, Mini Groundhogs and Vargo Ti nails depending on the soil type.

Used to carry 8” aluminum gutter nails too but they’ve been really tough to track down replacements in Canada the last few years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MtnMuley

WKR
Groundhogs are hard to beat for durability. I also have mini groundhogs, Ti nails, and Ti sheppard hooks. I will throw in which set best fits the conditions I will be in. When in doubt, I pack the groundhogs or mini's.

jhm2023

WKR
I'm a big fan of the 9 inch carbon fiber stakes that rutalocura makes. I've been using them for a few years now and they hold very well and weigh hardly nothing.

I've used about all of them and keep a mix of Groundhogs, Cyclone's and Easton stakes. When I need to go light, I just use the minimal amount of MSR's on the windward side and rocks on the rest of the guy lines. For durability and cost, the MSR Groundhogs and similar are tough to beat. If you're pinching grams, the skies the limit and durability really comes into play. I hate having to gingerly get a stake into the ground, I much prefer to just stomp on it with my boot or tap them in with a flat rock.