Solo use - larger floorless shelters

I'm always curious about whether ounces really matter that much; at least in the really critical gear pieces. I'm certainly not belittling anyone's methods. I do think there may be a tendency to obsess about ounces to the point it makes gear choices more difficult than necessary. Costlier too.

I agree with Kevin. It is easier to lose weight else where IMO. I would prefer to get stronger in the off season and carry a few extra pounds then be uncomfortable.

Wouldn't hesitate with my Luna 6. have never had to but it is just as light as many of the 3 man floored tents I would have used in its place.

Last edited:
OP
MT_Wyatt

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I have 2 years using my Cimarron solo. I prefer it now. The room is great, especially when I need to spread gear out to dry.

Since you are usually setting up camp a few miles in then hunting from there the weight penalty argument starts to lose water if you ask me.

Normally I’d agree, especially if just hiking in an established trail and plopping down there for a couple days - but for those times when I’m in 4 hours and 1500-2000 feet in vert, weight means a lot when coming out with meat. Given the overall weight of the cimmaron, the extra ounces don’t really make a big deal a lot of the time, very good point.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
MT_Wyatt

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I agree with Kevin. It is easier to lose weight else where IMO. I would prefer to get stronger in the off season and carry a few extra pounds then be uncomfortable.

A lot of people say that, but a sleep system is a pretty major place to save weight in my experience. I don’t really see the silvertip as an uncomfortable option, but was curious how many people just roll with the cimmaron solo. Sounds like a decent amount of people do that. I’m pretty well convinced I’ll join that camp to preserve the flexibility of running 2 and a stove at times.

I’ve chased weight to the point of too much discomfort (for me) and am exploring what I would call a balance point between weight and comfort. More broadly I’m already running an ultralight pad and quilt, stone glacier pack, etc so I don’t see that I have a lot of other areas to save weight in my kit. For me, this is where I’m spending money on my kit, and weight always plays a part in the decision. I was asking about solo use of the cimmaron because I’m more trying to control weight, and there isn’t a lot of discussion of using that shelter solo on rokslide. I’ve considered getting Niak or the new SG tent, but those are on the top end of what I’d want to carry weight wise for a shelter.

We haven’t talked about it, but I think storm worthiness is a contrasting point between the two, more so for October/ November use though.

Thanks for all of your thoughts everyone - the discussion certainly has helped highlight what I and others value, and it has surprised me how many run a little larger floorless shelter.

Last edited:
A lot of people say that, but a sleep system is a pretty major place to save weight in my experience. I don’t really see the silvertip as an uncomfortable option, but was curious how many people just roll with the cimmaron solo. Sounds like a decent amount of people do that. I’m pretty well convinced I’ll join that camp to preserve the flexibility of running 2 and a stove at times.

^ This is why I have a Supermid ordered. Save a pound vs a cimarron (or 1.5 lb if cuben) if both use manufacturers poles. It gives up a little space to a cimarron but should still be able to do 2+Stove.

Gramnorexia Nervosa is a condition I used to suffer from, and I still have the occasional flare-up. There isn't a dang thing wrong with saving weight, but I found myself being driven more by it than was reasonable. A guy can spend thousands to chase a few pounds out of his kit. I guess the main thing I came away with is that I'm only going to sacrifice so much comfort and money to go lighter. And the older I get the more I desire some comforts in camp. For me, feather-light is very desirable but I'm going to be good and comfortable.

A few years ago I packed 75 pounds of food and gear into a mountain camp far above the airstrip I was dropped on. I did it in 2 loads and had a very comfortable camp for my solo hunt. Probably a good thing I had superb gear and a roomy shelter considering what transpired over the next week. I recall being very glad I wasn't up there with a very light minimalistic shelter.

I’ve chased weight to the point of too much discomfort (for me) and am exploring what I would call a balance point between weight and comfort. More broadly I’m already running an ultralight pad and quilt, stone glacier pack, etc so I don’t see that I have a lot of other areas to save weight in my kit. For me, this is where I’m spending money on my kit, and weight always plays a part in the decision. I was asking about solo use of the cimmaron because I’m more trying to control weight, and there isn’t a lot of discussion of using that shelter Solomon rokslide. I’ve considered getting Niak or the new SG tent, but those are on the joker end of what I’d want to carry weight wise for a shelter.

We haven’t talked about it, but I think storm worthiness is a contrasting point between the two, more so for October/ November use though.

Thanks for all of your thoughts everyone - the discussion certainly has helped highlight what I and others value, and it has surprised me how many run a little larger floorless shelter.

If I could afford both I would have both, but in my case I use the Cimarron for solo and when a buddy is with. I have been more then happy with it. Either way I think you will be happy.

PredatorX

WKR
For hunting off your back "bivy style", I think it is mandatory to save every single ounce in a smart way. Hunting from a base camp, not so much.

I use the BT2. How tall are you? I am 6'3" and it can get tight (lengthwise) in there when sleeping straight with a stove. Angled, no issue. Keep in mind the silvertip will have a little more usable space. But if you are really tall and start sliding down at all due to being elevated, you may find your feet hanging out of the teepee. With that said, I still love it. It pitches really fast and is of a decent weight (30oz with stove jack). The one thing I am doing this year is ditching the 10 ounce center pole and using my trekking pole with a pole jack.

One benefit of being a weight weanie like myself is i am constantly analyzing my gear. I see that as a positive and at the end of the day i will know i did extended analysis and did not short myself by making a poor gear choice (confidence). But yes, there is light and then there is stupid light as Andrew Skurka once said.

kylem

Lil-Rokslider
I built a DIY mid this winter that is pretty similar in size to the cimarron and my only concern with using it solo when I wouldn't need the room for two people would be finding a place big enough to pitch it in some areas I hunt. Last October during my mule deer hunt I had a hard enough time finding a spot flat enough to pitch my tarp, so I can only imagine where I would've ended up trying to pitch a bigger mid after dark in that country. If it were me I'd rather have the smaller of the two just because the little bit smaller footprint would make it a bit easier to find a spot to pitch it.