Solo use - larger floorless shelters

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I’m having a hard time deciding between purchasing a SO silvertip or Cimmaron. Curious how many people run a Cimmaron as a solo shelter? Not much talk of that I’ve found searching through all the discussions of the Cimmaron or Silvertip/BT2.

There’s certainly pros and cons to both - getting and using Cimmaron certainly is good all-around and makes trips with 2 easier, and either way I can run a stove or a full liner. Only con I’m hung up on: I’m concerned about the size and weight of a Cimmaron for solo use. Anyone running it solo? Basically I gain a little over half a pound.

I’ve been down a long road: done the 3-season ultralight tent, used a Hilleberg Anjan, original BT2, DST tarp, marmot 3-season limelite. After all of those, the stoutness and flexibility that comes with a mid is the best fit for me.

Thanks

I don't own either of those shelters so can't opinionate. I do own and use a Sawtooth as my solo shelter, so I get it. Weight matters, but so does space, comfort, security and overall versatility. Sometimes there can be no compromise on weight. If I understand your post correctly, you're indicating a net weight gain of slightly more than 1/2 pound if you upsize to the Cimarron...right?

One way to look at that is simply this: Would you notice a 9 ounce gain and would it be enough to hurt your comfort? Can you lose 9 ounces elsewhere in your pack, or drop 1 pound of body weight to offset?

sveltri

WKR
I have both shelters, but this weekend will be my first in the Cimarron. The weight difference between the two is real, but in the grand scheme of things not awful. Its quite a bit easier to find a spot to pitch the Silvertip vs the Redcliff, and so I assume also easier than the Cimarron. My Silvertip is bare bones, no screens, no stove jack, just shelter. The Cimarron has both and even at that the weight penalty is acceptable (for me). I think the st will perform better in the wind, but both will perform well. Sorry this probably isn't helping much. Do you plan on setting a new camp each night and moving or more like a base camp?

texag10

WKR
Are you sure it is really a half pound gain? The canopy weight of the Cimmaron is +10 oz alone according to SO's website, then you have the dedicated pole. I don't know if linked trekking poles will work for a Cimmaron, but they do work for a Silvertip and I'm already carrying those with me so it's no real weight gain.

It's going to be hard to answer this question for you. I came from a 1 person tarptent that you could barely call a tent, you could only sit up at the entryway. The Silvertip feels like and absolute palace to me. From what I have read if you were ok with the BT2 you will probably like the Silvertip as it has some more room.

I bought the Silvertip with the idea that I'd just get a Cimarron or Redcliff down the road anyway for camping with my wife.

Hunter6

WKR
I use a Cimarron as a solo and duo shelter. I have no problem packing it in and love the space. But I’m coming from a heavier smaller tent.
1f5d0a9f7a03f4271238183416e0c148.jpg

Not the best picture but the place is a palace for one and still lighter than most two man tents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A Silvertip is a pretty roomy 1 man shelter but I have a larger tipi as well. I I could only have one I'd go with the cimeron

KurtR

WKR
I use the cimaron for both two people and single and dont mind the weight and really like the room.

I'll add this as a data point,

My Silvertip setup weighs 3 lbs 1 oz. That includes stove jack, 12 issued stakes, the 550 cord extensions on all the stake loops, and a 9 oz pole from BPWD.

C6nyW2Y.jpg

OP
MT_Wyatt

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I don't own either of those shelters so can't opinionate. I do own and use a Sawtooth as my solo shelter, so I get it. Weight matters, but so does space, comfort, security and overall versatility. Sometimes there can be no compromise on weight. If I understand your post correctly, you're indicating a net weight gain of slightly more than 1/2 pound if you upsize to the Cimarron...right?

One way to look at that is simply this: Would you notice a 9 ounce gain and would it be enough to hurt your comfort? Can you lose 9 ounces elsewhere in your pack, or drop 1 pound of body weight to offset?

All good points - I certainly try to cut weight everywhere I can, but over the past 2 years have dialed that back a bit in the name of comfort. I wasn’t considering at comfort as pro/con, totally is though. I’m pretty dialed with my kit so cutting weight means getting into cuben fiber everything, spending way more $, cutting straps, etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
MT_Wyatt

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I have both shelters, but this weekend will be my first in the Cimarron. The weight difference between the two is real, but in the grand scheme of things not awful. Its quite a bit easier to find a spot to pitch the Silvertip vs the Redcliff, and so I assume also easier than the Cimarron. My Silvertip is bare bones, no screens, no stove jack, just shelter. The Cimarron has both and even at that the weight penalty is acceptable (for me). I think the st will perform better in the wind, but both will perform well. Sorry this probably isn't helping much. Do you plan on setting a new camp each night and moving or more like a base camp?

I don’t typically move every day and hunt with camp on my back - I’m usually hiking in a couple hours, setting a camp and hunting the area in different directions each day.

you would be set up great with any of the smaller SO set ups from the LBO to the Silver tip to the Cimmaron
Here is the data page I am sure you seen, it really lays out the tech specs
https://seekoutside.com/tipi-tents/

here is a video of a guy with Redcliffe, Cimm and Silv Tip set up side by side so you can "see" them next to each other to maybe high light other things like height if you are a taller guy.
seek outside - Bing video

In some weird way, the research is half the fun. Once you have researched, purchased and used the item, you move to the next item you "gotta have". Its a fun yet expensive cycle.
:)

OP
MT_Wyatt

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Are you sure it is really a half pound gain? The canopy weight of the Cimmaron is +10 oz alone according to SO's website, then you have the dedicated pole. I don't know if linked trekking poles will work for a Cimmaron, but they do work for a Silvertip and I'm already carrying those with me so it's no real weight gain.

It's going to be hard to answer this question for you. I came from a 1 person tarptent that you could barely call a tent, you could only sit up at the entryway. The Silvertip feels like and absolute palace to me. From what I have read if you were ok with the BT2 you will probably like the Silvertip as it has some more room.

I bought the Silvertip with the idea that I'd just get a Cimarron or Redcliff down the road anyway for camping with my wife.

Agreed, only I’m going to ultimately weigh what’s important to me and decide - rather than being coached into a decision I was more looking to here how people like using a cimmaron solo - so far it seems like the extra room to pitch it and weight aren’t a detractor for most when using it alone. I’m curious over the next few days if we’ll get anyone on here explaining why they’d consider or feel the smaller shelter makes more sense for them.

I was thinking I’d use linked trekking poles when solo- I’ll have to call SO and ask next week and make sure that’s doable. The pole adds another 10.something but I’m figuring using that would be when I’m with another person or a less weight intensive outing.

I think picking between the two is a no brainer if I’m using it with someone most of the time - the cimm is a well rounded sensible choice I can do more things with, especially with a stove. Since I’m solo a lot, the weight penalty of 11 ounces (assuming I’m linking trek poles) is tough to swallow.

OP
MT_Wyatt

MT_Wyatt

WKR
you would be set up great with any of the smaller SO set ups from the LBO to the Silver tip to the Cimmaron
Here is the data page I am sure you seen, it really lays out the tech specs
https://seekoutside.com/tipi-tents/

here is a video of a guy with Redcliffe, Cimm and Silv Tip set up side by side so you can "see" them next to each other to maybe high light other things like height if you are a taller guy.
seek outside - Bing video

In some weird way, the research is half the fun. Once you have researched, purchased and used the item, you move to the next item you "gotta have". Its a fun yet expensive cycle.
:)

I love that comparison page and all of their figures - them and tarptent do a good job showing their stuff using the web.

It is fun - I’ve been trying to think more and when I’m ready to buy something, wait one more week and see if I’m still “there.” Often I’m not. That’s saved me a lot of money and returns.

Thanks to everyone who’s chimed I’m so far - it’s helpful getting other perspectives and reading how others prioritize things.

I'm always curious about whether ounces really matter that much; at least in the really critical gear pieces. I'm certainly not belittling anyone's methods. I do think there may be a tendency to obsess about ounces to the point it makes gear choices more difficult than necessary. Costlier too.

colersu22

WKR
I have used my cimarron solo but mainly with my buddy. I was in the same boat as you picking between the silvertip and cimarron but chose the cinnamon for the extra room for 2 and a stove. I never really thought about the weight to much since the tent I was upgrading from was about 5lbs for a 2 man so the cimarron saves me about 2lbs.

ianpadron

WKR

Took the words right out of my mouth, having too much shelter is never ever ever a bad thing in the mountains

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Neverenoughhntn

Lil-Rokslider
I took the plunge and picked up a cimarron this last year.... I would say if you do any late season solo backpacking, the extra space in the cimarron is an advantage. By the time you factor in the stove, firewood, and drying out wet clothes/gear the extra space is well worth the weight penalty for me.

DWP51

Lil-Rokslider
I have 2 years using my Cimarron solo. I prefer it now. The room is great, especially when I need to spread gear out to dry.

Since you are usually setting up camp a few miles in then hunting from there the weight penalty argument starts to lose water if you ask me.