Kifaru Slick bag with LPP

PredatorX

WKR
So, I have a 20 degree Slick bag. I realize that for some of the rifle seasons (maybe all), this may not be warm enough without my stove. If i were to wear the LPP at night in the slick bag, it seems that would lower the effective rating a bit. It may not be ideal comfort-wise but it would help give me more options and versatility. Combine that with some LPP type pants that i believe i heard about it should take me down to 0 or below.

Is this a foolish plan? Would this be a legitimate system?

LazyV

Lil-Rokslider
I wear a LPP in my 20 degree bag and I'm not sure it'd get me to zero degrees. I tend to be a somewhat cold sleeper though. Personally I'd try it in the yard before on a hunt.

amp713

WKR
I ran a cheap 20 degree bag and often tossed on a puffy to help stay warm... I ran my slick a few weekends ago, I believe outside temp was 19 and i was cooking warm. Had all my extra clothes in the bag with me so I didn't have to dress in cold clothes.

Also look to your pad. My exped is like a 6 r value. That can make a big change....

Or of course there is the stove option and hot hands....

I find sleeping in a puffy keeps my body heat from heating the bag up, thus I tend to sleep colder. I sleep best with base layers on and a good beanie in cold weather. If youre hunting in late seasons, I would just save up and get a 0 degree bag, you’ll likely be more comfortable.

204guy

WKR
Couple thoughts here. What rifle season and what state? Zero degree temps are going to be very, very rare in Sept, pretty rare in early Oct. to possible in late Oct. November it's definitely possible but still not all that likely. Backpacking with lows of zero degrees is pretty brutal.
Assuming it's a backpacking stove disregard it as any kind of warmth while sleeping. The burn times are too short.
You're definitely going to need to supplement your legs AND your feet with puffy pants and booties to bring them up to par with your upper body.
Another option that would be cheaper than another warmer bag would be to supplement your 20 with something like a 30-40 degree down quilt. Put it in or over your bag depending on how much room you have. It'll bump the warmth a bunch.

Couple thoughts here. What rifle season and what state? Zero degree temps are going to be very, very rare in Sept, pretty rare in early Oct. to possible in late Oct. November it's definitely possible but still not all that likely. Backpacking with lows of zero degrees is pretty brutal.
Assuming it's a backpacking stove disregard it as any kind of warmth while sleeping. The burn times are too short.
You're definitely going to need to supplement your legs AND your feet with puffy pants and booties to bring them up to par with your upper body.
Another option that would be cheaper than another warmer bag would be to supplement your 20 with something like a 30-40 degree down quilt. Put it in or over your bag depending on how much room you have. It'll bump the warmth a bunch.

I love my EE booties, they are always inside of my sleeping bag.

Also, adding something like a Kifaru woobie would be a good idea if you didn’t want to just get a colder rated bag.

So, I have a 20 degree Slick bag. I realize that for some of the rifle seasons (maybe all), this may not be warm enough without my stove. If i were to wear the LPP at night in the slick bag, it seems that would lower the effective rating a bit. It may not be ideal comfort-wise but it would help give me more options and versatility. Combine that with some LPP type pants that i believe i heard about it should take me down to 0 or below.

Is this a foolish plan? Would this be a legitimate system?
In below freezing temps, its normal for me to wear the LPP. I have an older 15 degree synthetic bag that has definitely lost some insulating power. I tried this setup in the woods but close to home at about 5 degrees. I ended up packing up and snowshoeing home, it was going to be dangerous. If my bag were in better shape, it wouldnt have been so bad but I doubt I would have been comfortable. I simply need a zero degree bag, and you probably do too. Zero degrees is frickin cold to not have a bag rated at least that.

Skickat från min G8142 via Tapatalk

OP
PredatorX

PredatorX

WKR

This year first rifle season CO, but of course was looking long term for all seasons. Thanks for the info though as this is very helpful. You are right about the stove deal. While I like it, its not really conducive to bivy style hunting and you are right about burn times. When i used it, I found myself keeping it going all night which meant i was waking up every 45 mins or so to stoke it. I think the stove is better served to knock the cold off and to dry things out. I was hoping the stellar kifaru parka would essentially serve as a supplement to the 20 degree bag but like you mentioned i may want to get a light quilt or woobie to supplement it for the later seasons.

OP
PredatorX

PredatorX

WKR
In below freezing temps, its normal for me to wear the LPP. I have an older 15 degree synthetic bag that has definitely lost some insulating power. I tried this setup in the woods but close to home at about 5 degrees. I ended up packing up and snowshoeing home, it was going to be dangerous. If my bag were in better shape, it wouldnt have been so bad but I doubt I would have been comfortable. I simply need a zero degree bag, and you probably do too. Zero degrees is frickin cold to not have a bag rated at least that.

You know, a part of me lately has been wondering why I don't just setup a tarp lean to or an open ended teepee and just setup a fire right outside of it. Nobody really seems to do it "cowboy style" anymore.

OP
PredatorX

PredatorX

WKR
I ran a cheap 20 degree bag and often tossed on a puffy to help stay warm... I ran my slick a few weekends ago, I believe outside temp was 19 and i was cooking warm. Had all my extra clothes in the bag with me so I didn't have to dress in cold clothes.

Also look to your pad. My exped is like a 6 r value. That can make a big change....

Or of course there is the stove option and hot hands....

I have been looking into those exped's. Right now i just have a 3/4 length thermarest ridge rest with an R value of 2.8. For a few more ounces i should be able to bump it up significantly and probably be much more comfortable. I do need an upgrade there.

You know, a part of me lately has been wondering why I don't just setup a tarp lean to or an open ended teepee and just setup a fire right outside of it. Nobody really seems to do it "cowboy style" anymore.
This was a different night than that freezing night I walked out. View from inside the tarp. High 20's, and the wood in the forest didnt have too much of a freeze so it was easy to work with. Especially for fall and early spring, no bug issues, and the wood isnt frozen. A 3 sided tarp with a fire is quite cozy, as long as you use common sense with wind. DSC_0019.jpg

oldgoat

WKR
I used a cheap quilt over my bag a few years ago truck camping on the Colorado Plains in November, went from getting cold to being warm and comfortable, my wife does this now with her Woobie when we pack in. I think it especially helps if you can deal with it covering up your face

OP
PredatorX

PredatorX

WKR
This was a different night than that freezing night I walked out. View from inside the tarp. High 20's, and the wood in the forest didnt have too much of a freeze so it was easy to work with. Especially for fall and early spring, no bug issues, and the wood isnt frozen. A 3 sided tarp with a fire is quite cozy, as long as you use common sense with wind. View attachment 70469

How effective is that reflector? Does it really reflect heat back to you vs not having? It seems it would also be effective in keeping the wind from blowing in towards you.That looks great. I like this setup.

How effective is that reflector? Does it really reflect heat back to you vs not having? It seems it would also be effective in keeping the wind from blowing in towards you.That looks great. I like this setup.
That reflector isnt very effective, rather more intended to be an automatic feed for the fire. When the log on the bottom burns, the ones above have been drying and get closer to the fire.

When its seriously cold, I would not rely on fire as part of the sleep system. Getting a good hot fire going from wood that has been frozen and covered with snow for a month is a pain in the ass. Also, I dont want to be close enough to the fire I risk burning my gear. It helps take the edge off for sure though. I would still suggest a zero degree bag. Theres a type of fire called the long fire, which you can find on Youtube. The problem is, if you are hunting, and its frigid, are you going to have the time /energy at the end of the day, in the dark (winter time... Gets pitch black by 4 pm here) to do some serious wood processing on frozen logs?

Something like this is a decent bet for sleeping near an open fire :

Vihe Loue 1 – Wildward

I will add that I have been shopping around for a 0 degree bag. I would love to be able to afford a WM bag, but I think a 0 degree slick is more in my price range. Have you been happy in terms of quality and durability with your 20 degree?