Kifaru Slick bag regrets?

Skull10

WKR
I just received a new Kifaru slick bag in the 20 degree model. I was hoping this would be my last bag purchase for Colorado Elk bow hunts. I am a bit disappointed. I started out with an Igneo 19 degree down bag. I loved the weight and the compressibility of the Igneo, I didn't care for the zipper or the width of this bag. I am 5'10 and 182lbs.

I went with the Kifaru because of the center zipper and the weather resistance of the synthetic fill. I just got the bag tonight and got inside to find it more restricting than the Igneo. I tried to stuff it into my Sea to Summit stuff sack and it is WAY less compressible than the Igneo. I knew it would be bulkier, but not this much.

Can you experts give me some options of a good 15 to 20 degree down bag that is of good quality that won't break the bank. Somewhere in the $200 to $400 range.

I want warmth when it is needed and compressibility.

HankBC

Lil-Rokslider
I have the same bag, it’s a lot larger than I thought it would be as well. Peace of mind though right?

I’ll tag in to see if there’s another synthetic option that comes up.

b7efeb165d3214549952ef8d07253661.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

verysimple

Lil-Rokslider
I just received a new Kifaru slick bag in the 20 degree model. I was hoping this would be my last bag purchase for Colorado Elk bow hunts. I am a bit disappointed. I started out with an Igneo 19 degree down bag. I loved the weight and the compressibility of the Igneo, I didn't care for the zipper or the width of this bag. I am 5'10 and 182lbs.

I went with the Kifaru because of the center zipper and the weather resistance of the synthetic fill. I just got the bag tonight and got inside to find it more restricting than the Igneo. I tried to stuff it into my Sea to Summit stuff sack and it is WAY less compressible than the Igneo. I knew it would be bulkier, but not this much.

Can you experts give me some options of a good 15 to 20 degree down bag that is of good quality that won't break the bank. Somewhere in the $200 to $400 range.

Down? You tried quilts? Check out enlightened equipment - they make both Apex synthetic and down quilts. Very compressible and light, especially down.
Viam outdoors makes good Apex quilt too.
Zpacks,Western mountaineering, kabatic gear make quality too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gumbo

WKR
I don't like the center zip at all, or the velcro around the center zip. I sold a WM Kodiak to get this unfortunately. But, I like it because it seems to be the lightest synthetic on the market and I can worry less about getting it damp. I just wish I'd kept my WM too. All in all I like it for what it is, a bag I can abuse, but it is definitely not as warm or nice as a WM down bag.

Last edited:

What size sea to summit bag?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

gabenzeke

WKR
I just got a long/wide enlightened equipment 10 degree quilt and LOVE it. Had no issues sleeping in my yard in 20 degree overnight low. Super light and packs small. Will never go back to a bag. Only downside I can find would be if your shelter lets in a significant amount of wind, you may get a draft.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

amp713

WKR
I gotta toss it out there but most people say the slick is not very compressible and should be ordered in wide. Sucks you aren't happy with your purchase but most reviews should have let you know to expect that

Pinewood

Lil-Rokslider
I've often thought about getting a slick bag, but I bet I wouldn't appreciate it anymore than my Wiggy's.

Use a 5 string compression sack from Kifaru, it'll compress way better than the Sea to Summit sack. The slick bag fits the bill for me.

OP
Skull10

Skull10

WKR
Your right amp713, I did see the reviews of the slick bag. I guess I just didn't realize how much less compressible the slick bag would be. I could probably get used to the width while sleeping, but taking up so much room in my pack while hiking just wont do it.

wyo2track

Lil-Rokslider
I've been looking for a 20* bag myself lately. I've been finding if you want to have a very compressible lightweight down bag, 850 fill will get you there but cost is much more. The Marmot Hydrogen is around $350. 650 down will be cheaper but weighs and packs just about as much as synthetic options in the 2.5-2.8 lb range. For synthetic, I've been looking at REI lumen 20 and the newer Marmot Trestles Elite ($150-$170). I need a bigger bag but regular sizes seem pretty reasonable for weight and a synthetic insulation bag. I've looked and studied, seems the good 850 fill bags rated for that 15-20 degrees might save you up to 8-11oz but cost is significantly more.

I've been looking for a 20* bag myself lately. I've been finding if you want to have a very compressible lightweight down bag, 850 fill will get you there but cost is much more. The Marmot Hydrogen is around $350. 650 down will be cheaper but weighs and packs just about as much as synthetic options in the 2.5-2.8 lb range. For synthetic, I've been looking at REI lumen 20 and the newer Marmot Trestles Elite ($150-$170). I need a bigger bag but regular sizes seem pretty reasonable for weight and a synthetic insulation bag. I've looked and studied, seems the good 850 fill bags rated for that 15-20 degrees might save you up to 8-11oz but cost is significantly more.

I have the Trestle Elite and don't care for it much. Didn't seem to live up to it's temp rating and I found it really tight on me and i'm pretty sure I got the wide. It's heavier than the listed specs too. I just wasn't that impressed with it. I like my VIAM 10* Apex quilt a LOT better.

wyo2track

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Trestle Elite and don't care for it much. Didn't seem to live up to it's temp rating and I found it really tight on me and i'm pretty sure I got the wide. It's heavier than the listed specs too. I just wasn't that impressed with it. I like my VIAM 10* Apex quilt a LOT better.

Really appreciate that heads up review! I don't know squat about quilts but guess I'm going to dive into them too...lol.

Kotaman

WKR
I don't have any regrets with my Slick Bag. Though it does not pack down/compress, or weigh less than a comparable down bag, the piece of mind of synthetic is worth it. Love the center zip...

Really appreciate that heads up review! I don't know squat about quilts but guess I'm going to dive into them too...lol.

I really like the quilts myself. My VIAM is just over 2lbs and compresses down pretty nice. My wife has the Enlightened Convert that can be used as a quilt or bag depending on how you zip it up. That dang thing is huge and is hard to compress down tho. She did get the wide/long version which is overkill for her. Other than that it's a good option as well and very warm the few nights I tried it out!

ljalberta

WKR
Enlightened Equipment is great. They sell both quilts and bags(that zip up fully or out into a quilt) if you prefer the full zipper. Compress super tiny. I'd go 10* colder than you expect for temp rating.

wyo2track

Lil-Rokslider
I don't have any regrets with my Slick Bag. Though it does not pack down/compress, or weigh less than a comparable down bag, the piece of mind of synthetic is worth it. Love the center zip...

Yeah I've been mostly looking at synthetic options. I've got a down Marmot never summer 0* bag, overkill most times, and its over 4#'s. Last time out it when it got humid for a couple days and it started going flat. The VIAM synthetic quilts look intriguing..

PredatorX

WKR
Every time i get back in there i seem to get hit with some type of storm. For me, I will gladly give up some weight/bulk knowing i will be waking up in dry clothing. Hard to go wrong with EE though if you prefer quilts.