Best budget sleep system (tent, pad, bag/quilt)

K_pem

WKR
Hey fellas,

So i'm hoping this year will be the year i actually get to commit to doing at least a couple of 2-3 day back country elk hunts, with a few overnighters thrown in there as well, this September. There's a possibility i may be doing up to 5 days in Montana for a buddies draw tag, but most my time will be spent here in North Idaho. Usually we just hunt from a truck camp so i have nothing for back country just heavy tents/bags/mattresses and truck camper tents, which i still plan to use, but i want to expand my options by going a little further and spending some nights on the mountain. That being said, it wont be my primary method of hunting, so i don't want to spend an arm and a leg on gear.

So i'm turning to you guys for advise on what kind of sleep system i can put together for relatively cheap. I'm not stuck on any one thing in particular, i'm open to just about anything that makes sense for me. Obviously the ability to stay protected from elements is crucial and weight is a factor cause i don't want to be packing around 15+ extra pounds all season, but i realize lightweight gear also comes at a cost. That being said, what would you recommend if you had to keep the budget as tight as possible, but still effective?

Any input is appreciated! Thanks guys

Mountainsmith mountain shelter, mountain hardware synthetic bag, xlite/xtherm pad.

Hunter Sargent

Lil-Rokslider
If you are willing to use a floorless shelter:

Shelter: Mountainsmith Mountain Shelter LT
Pad: Klymit (usually on sale on Massdrop or Camofire)
Bag: Marmot Sawtooth (down) or Mountain Hardwear Lamina Z (synthetic)

Grand total on the above would be in the neighborhood of $250 - $275 last time I checked.

OP
K

K_pem

WKR
Not bad at all!

Thanks for the suggestions guys. If i were looking for a shelter with a floor would you have any suggestions? Also if a slightly larger one is available id probably spend the money for the extra space when im solo and to not have to buy a second shelter for the occasions when my gf comes along with me(which would probably only be 2-3 times per season, but still the extra space is nice).

michihunt

Lil-Rokslider
If you are willing to use a floorless shelter:

Shelter: Mountainsmith Mountain Shelter LT
Pad: Klymit (usually on sale on Massdrop or Camofire)
Bag: Marmot Sawtooth (down) or Mountain Hardwear Lamina Z (synthetic)

Grand total on the above would be in the neighborhood of $250 - $275 last time I checked.
This is what system I have so far. $80 for the mountainsmith LT on Massdrop. $60 for the insulated Klymit at Costco. Still kicking around what bag to get but was looking at the MH lamina or Marmot trestles....i don't have much experience with backpack hints but a lot of research has been put into it.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

amp713

WKR
Jump on mass drop and grab a klymit pad. Hunt classifieds for a used bag would be my best suggestion for a quality bag.

I run a Luxe tipi which can be pretty affordable new but I'd also chase deals on classifieds

Not bad at all!

Thanks for the suggestions guys. If i were looking for a shelter with a floor would you have any suggestions? Also if a slightly larger one is available id probably spend the money for the extra space when im solo and to not have to buy a second shelter for the occasions when my gf comes along with me(which would probably only be 2-3 times per season, but still the extra space is nice).

Popular double walled tents that you might find on classifieds: big Agnes copper spur 2, MSR hubba hubba, tarptent double rainbow or stratospire 2 if you use trekking poles. Not the cheapest but not hilleberg or cuben priced either.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Big Agnes Tumble Glo. You can usually find them pretty cheap. Not the lightest, a heavier version of the Copper Spur, but significantly cheaper.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Owenst7

WKR
You can get the Klymit pads on great discount direct from Klymit on eBay if you're fine with a refurbed pad. I'd bet they're just returns with opened packaging.

I'd throw in the Kelty Cosmic. I have the 20F model and it's a great bag that my girlfriend uses in the summer (I got her a goretex 0F bag for when it gets cold). Right in line with the loft ratings that Western Mountaineering uses for a 20F bag.

I've got about a year of hard use on my Mountain Shelter and would immediately replace it with a new one if I lost it. I even use it car camping anymore.

Hunter Sargent

Lil-Rokslider
Not bad at all!

FYI the Mountainsmith shelter is significantly larger than any 2 person shelter with a floor. If i'm taking the wife (needs a floor for some reason she can't explain) I use a Nemo Galaxy 2p, which weighs 5.5 lbs. The Mountainsmith weighs less than 2 lbs. I use a piece of construction tyvek as a ground sheet.

OP
K

K_pem

WKR
Any input on the brands "The backcountry" or "Alps mountaineering"?

Theyre on camo fire right now with decent pricing for sleep systems if theyre decent quality.

Owenst7

WKR
Any input on the brands "The backcountry" or "Alps mountaineering"?

Theyre on camo fire right now with decent pricing for sleep systems if theyre decent quality.

The Backside is connected with Grizzly and a couple others. They do an annual booth at Costco in the fall here in Reno. I have one of their canvas instant-up external frame tents and the two person canvas -25 bag. They're both excellent car camping products, but the bag is really a 0-10 degree bag and is made pretty great. I've never seen any of their "backpacking"-type stuff in person before. It's probably durable enough but way too heavy if I had to guess. I'd guess the mummy bags are similar to Alps bags. I just wouldn't ever use a synthetic bag for any conditions below freezing. No point in dealing with the disadvantages of synthetic if most of the precipitation is frozen. The budget down bags like the Kelty Cosmic are great bags and not a whole lot more money. Klymit's new down bag looks like it could be some good competition for the Cosmic too.

applepie_eli

Lil-Rokslider
I used a military modular sleep system in Montana last summer backpacking in the Beartooths. It's two sleeping bags inside a goretex bivy. It's extremely durable, warm, versatile, and easy to set up. You can find them on eBay I think for around $150 for a used one in good condition. Biggest drawback is it's HEAVY. Like 12 pounds when it's all put together, but if you take one of the bags out then you can cut the weight in half which is good enough for me. I just used a blanket as a sleeping pad with an emergency tarp wrapped around it to keep it from getting wet with dew. It's not the most ideal because it's heavy and doesn't pack down real small, but I love it because you can set it up literally anywhere and in seconds have a warm and dry shelter. Next time I'll take a lighter sleeping pad. I also covered my backpack with an emergency tarp (like $4 from some camping store and weighs a few ounces).

vthokee

WKR
I stumbled on this thread looking to cut weight. I like the reviews Inhave seen on the Mountainsmith shelter. I currently have a Big Agnes Seedhouse and it’s a little heavier than what I want to pack. When using the tyvek sheet how big a piece do you cut to take with you?

sneaky

"DADDY"
I stumbled on this thread looking to cut weight. I like the reviews Inhave seen on the Mountainsmith shelter. I currently have a Big Agnes Seedhouse and it’s a little heavier than what I want to pack. When using the tyvek sheet how big a piece do you cut to take with you?
Just slightly smaller than the footprint of your shelter

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

woodson

FNG
For a tent with a floor I love the Six Moon Designs Skyscraper Scout Solo. It uses your trekking pole instead of dedicated poles.

Anti-gravity Gear has them for $135 all day, every day. You can do your own seam-sealing for $10 in about 30 minutes. It weighs 36 oz.

I use the Tyvek sheet under it, which Anti-Gravity Gear included for free cut to fit my tent.

Add in any of the sleeping bags listed above and you are set for ~$250.

Six Moon Designs Skyscape Scout Solo Tent | AntiGravityGear

Owenst7

WKR

I use a 7'x3' sheet of 2 mil LDPE painters plastic. Lasts me the whole season before it gets kinda beat up, or I get blood on it from field dressing.

I prefer to have some dirt in the shelter for cooking on or spilling things, muddy boots, etc.

adamm88

WKR
I used a military modular sleep system in Montana last summer backpacking in the Beartooths. It's two sleeping bags inside a goretex bivy. It's extremely durable, warm, versatile, and easy to set up. You can find them on eBay I think for around $150 for a used one in good condition. Biggest drawback is it's HEAVY. Like 12 pounds when it's all put together, but if you take one of the bags out then you can cut the weight in half which is good enough for me. I just used a blanket as a sleeping pad with an emergency tarp wrapped around it to keep it from getting wet with dew. It's not the most ideal because it's heavy and doesn't pack down real small, but I love it because you can set it up literally anywhere and in seconds have a warm and dry shelter. Next time I'll take a lighter sleeping pad. I also covered my backpack with an emergency tarp (like $4 from some camping store and weighs a few ounces).

Do you have an idea of what one of the bags are rated with the bivy? Is it a 20 degree set up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

applepie_eli

Lil-Rokslider
Do you have an idea of what one of the bags are rated with the bivy? Is it a 20 degree set up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The green bag (patrol bag) is a warm weather bag. It is rated from 30 to 50, with my experience, closer to 50. The black bag (intermediate bag) is rated from 30 down to -10, with my experience it has been sufficient in 20 degree weather. Put them together, and they're rated down to like -50. And that is definitely legit in my opinion. Obviously I use them with the bivy which adds a little warmth. Last summer I used the black bag/bivy in Montana and never got cold or wet during one night with steady rain. Next year I will try the green bag but wear warmer clothes while I sleep to save weight.

If you're not afraid of weight, I'd definitely recommend it. You'll also probably have to have a way to strap it to the outside of your pack unless you have a huge bag.