Kuiu vs Hilleberg

Anyone have experience with the Kuiu tents (mountain & storm star) vs the hilleberg 2 man tents?

Looking at getting a tent for late season elk hunting in Utah/Colorado at 8000ft+ altitude.

Thinking a 4 season tent is the way to go just for safety and having a "bomb proof" shelter.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Fjelljeger

Lil-Rokslider
Looking at the Kuiu Mountain Star 2p also for Alaska Sheep. Comparing it to the Hilleberg Niak, they seem pretty similar for 3+ season. Weight, price and room appear to give the Kuiu an edge. But I have no time in either....just looking at the specs.

AKDoc

WKR
I have a KUIU Mountain Star that I've used for the past four years sheep hunting and remote float fly-fishing. It has performed flawlessly in the wind and the rain and even when snowed upon pretty heavily two years ago. It is light, compact and back-packing friendly I've not had any problems with it of any kind. I should mention that I treat it yearly with silicone spray.

I also have a Hilleberg Staika that I have pretty much lived in for 2-3 weeks every fall for the past four years during DIY drop hunts for moose and brown bear, as well as one week each year for spring black bear often camping on snow. The Staika is THE best tent I have ever owned. It is absolutely bomb-proof, extremely well made, and vents perfectly so there has never been any internal condensation despite cold temperatures. It's pricey for sure, but worth every penny that I spent. The Staika would be a tough back-packing tent at twice the weight of the Mountain Star. I mention it only as a statement of Hilleberg quality.

Neverenoughhntn

Lil-Rokslider
... I don’t want to derail this thing, but are you for sure set on a tent? (If you are, then just ignore the rest of this).... when it comes to late season at or below timberline, a floor less with a stove has been best for me.... I know it’s not for everyone, but if it hasn’t crossed your mind, then I’d recommend doing some research before pulling the trigger on a tent.... I like to push my limits trying to create my own luck on the mountain, but when I was running a tent I found myself erring more on the side of caution as a sleeping bag is your only real heat source, and I don’t care for then having to share that bag with wet clothes to dry them out. Having a stove has given me that extra sense of security to push my limits that time of year, as I know I can bail myself out of a real bad situation if needed (I can have that shelter up to 75 degrees in short order with the stove).... I guess I’ll put it this way, if you get back to camp in the dark soaking wet, borderline hypothermic, it’s blowing and snowing outside and the thermometer is at 20 degrees and dropping, which system do you want? Which is going to keep you on the mountain until you fill your tag?

You could add the Stone Glacier to that list as well. But I would agree to consider a floorless with stove.

OP
P
... I don’t want to derail this thing, but are you for sure set on a tent? (If you are, then just ignore the rest of this).... when it comes to late season at or below timberline, a floor less with a stove has been best for me.... I know it’s not for everyone, but if it hasn’t crossed your mind, then I’d recommend doing some research before pulling the trigger on a tent.... I like to push my limits trying to create my own luck on the mountain, but when I was running a tent I found myself erring more on the side of caution as a sleeping bag is your only real heat source, and I don’t care for then having to share that bag with wet clothes to dry them out. Having a stove has given me that extra sense of security to push my limits that time of year, as I know I can bail myself out of a real bad situation if needed (I can have that shelter up to 75 degrees in short order with the stove).... I guess I’ll put it this way, if you get back to camp in the dark soaking wet, borderline hypothermic, it’s blowing and snowing outside and the thermometer is at 20 degrees and dropping, which system do you want? Which is going to keep you on the mountain until you fill your tag?
Currently have a tarp tent system that is floor less. Hadn't really considered going with a floor less when the weather turns nasty. I'd love a small stove though. What would you recommend? A kifaru with a stove?

wyo2track

Lil-Rokslider
I have a KUIU Mountain Star that I've used for the past four years sheep hunting and remote float fly-fishing. It has performed flawlessly in the wind and the rain and even when snowed upon pretty heavily two years ago. It is light, compact and back-packing friendly I've not had any problems with it of any kind. I should mention that I treat it yearly with silicone spray.

Great report! Are you siliconing the fly and floor? How is the floor holding up to abrasion?

wyo2track

Lil-Rokslider

Totally agree...IMO once your into October or even late September a radiant heat source will most likely be needed. Can't tell you how many times I've woke up in the wall tent in October from a truck base camp and shit is frozen, the coffee pot has a 1/2" ice on top, water bottles are slushy, saddle pads and gloves are stiff as hell from the previous day and you went to bed with that big stove red hot. Now take a backpackers lightweight mentality.. your going to work even harder at keeping heat in that itty bitty stove cranking but it will warm you up when you need it most...

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have used the Kuiu one man tents for the last several years and have had zero problems. One of the best features is when you set it up in bad weather the inner tent is protected and stays dry.

If you are backpacking, the Hillebergs are heavy, but if you are with someone else you can always split that weight up between the two of you.

And as for floor less, I have never really liked them. Mostly due to the inside of the tent in the late season with snow melt making things muddy or wet.

OP
P
Totally agree...IMO once your into October or even late September a radiant heat source will most likely be needed. Can't tell you how many times I've woke up in the wall tent in October from a truck base camp and shit is frozen, the coffee pot has a 1/2" ice on top, water bottles are slushy, saddle pads and gloves are stiff as hell from the previous day and you went to bed with that big stove red hot. Now take a backpackers lightweight mentality.. your going to work even harder at keeping heat in that itty bitty stove cranking but it will warm you up when you need it most...
So what would you recommend for a stove/tent combo?

BRWNBR

WKR
No kuiu tent time. I do have a hilleberg enan and anjan gt 2 man. The enan was the wettest tent I have ever slept in. I contact hilli about it. They told me. (This is no joke) we carry a trash bag to cover our sleeping bags and a towel to wipe down the inside of the tent. That’s what they recommends for their own tent. They would not let me return it either.
The anjan gt has been pretty good. Fast set up, vents better than the enan. But not four season. For me a small four season tent and a little lantern is all I would use for heat. No wood where I hunt so floorless with a stove
Is not an option for me. I don’t think I would go floorless where I am unless I had a nest inside it. I move camp a lot and wouldn’t want to set up on top of snow with a floorless!

OP
P
No kuiu tent time. I do have a hilleberg enan and anjan gt 2 man. The enan was the wettest tent I have ever slept in. I contact hilli about it. They told me. (This is no joke) we carry a trash bag to cover our sleeping bags and a towel to wipe down the inside of the tent. That’s what they recommends for their own tent. They would not let me return it either.
The anjan gt has been pretty good. Fast set up, vents better than the enan. But not four season. For me a small four season tent and a little lantern is all I would use for heat. No wood where I hunt so floorless with a stove
Is not an option for me. I don’t think I would go floorless where I am unless I had a nest inside it. I move camp a lot and wouldn’t want to set up on top of snow with a floorless!
This is my concern with a floor less as well, I'll be backpack hunting and moving every day to a new location.

BRWNBR

WKR
This is my concern with a floor less as well, I'll be backpack hunting and moving every day to a new location.

Ya I hear ya. Spending time gathering enough wood also don’t sound like something I’d want to do every time I moved camp again either.

I live a few miles from Hilleberg and have stopped in their front office once. Awesome folks, but man are they some heavy tents. I ended up not buying one as they almost seemed over-engineered -- like they'd keep the weather out, and the "weather" in.

I live and hunt in Western WA, the high Cascades, and eastern sage country, and I have never had our Kuiu Storm Star fail in the last 3 years. We do not use the footprint or the gear loft, so I can't speak to those. However, I've seen it hold up to serious snowfall (2 ft in a day) and running water, without leaking or collapsing. Haven't ever had condensation issues when we use it with two guys inside.

The best feature (that I wish SG had done with their new tent) is that the inner is always protected. Clever design, although I think they borrowed it from MSR... The worst feature, and this is pure opinion based observation, is that the Kuiu tent does not seem to retain any form of heat like other tents might, even with two guys in it.

OP
P
I live a few miles from Hilleberg and have stopped in their front office once. Awesome folks, but man are they some heavy tents. I ended up not buying one as they almost seemed over-engineered -- like they'd keep the weather out, and the "weather" in.

I live and hunt in Western WA, the high Cascades, and eastern sage country, and I have never had our Kuiu Storm Star fail in the last 3 years. We do not use the footprint or the gear loft, so I can't speak to those. However, I've seen it hold up to serious snowfall (2 ft in a day) and running water, without leaking or collapsing. Haven't ever had condensation issues when we use it with two guys inside.

The best feature (that I wish SG had done with their new tent) is that the inner is always protected. Clever design, although I think they borrowed it from MSR... The worst feature, and this is pure opinion based observation, is that the Kuiu tent does not seem to retain any form of heat like other tents might, even with two guys in it.
Great info, thanks. I'll be running a Nemo Sonic 0 and another bivy (military makes me remember two is one, one is none) so I should be good without a ton of heat retention based on the tent alone.

wyo2track

Lil-Rokslider
So what would you recommend for a stove/tent combo?

For floorless backpacking with stove....I'd look at Kifaru's and Seek Outside's options. For non-floorless....two/three man tent, I've used the lantern heat source too sometimes. I've got a cute little single burner propane coleman. Yeah you got to pack a single green bottle but a little lantern will throw some heat out in a hurry. Realistically, you really only need to use it for an hour or two in the evening and an hour in the morning while you get ready. A little green bottle will get you a two/three days if your not running on high. Remember, you've got to be damn sure you've got some fresh airflow using propane....turn it on for a little bit, then turn it off. It won't dry everything out if your soaked, but it will get you warm. A tent with an extended vestibule like the Hille GT models or similar works even better with the lantern as you have some room to move around without worrying too much if your going to melt something and you get some fresh air in from under the vesibule....

AKDoc

WKR
Great report! Are you siliconing the fly and floor? How is the floor holding up to abrasion?
I spray only the outer fly, not the floor, using Obenauf's. Nothing wrong with spraying the floor, just haven't done it. I use the footprint with my KUIU Mountain Star, and both are holding up well to abrasion so far.

I should also mention that my sheep hunting partner is my adult daughter, who is very petite. I've gone solo in it otherwise, so I've not shared that tent with anyone else. Within my hunting circle we've all decided that we each want our own tent and space, and a two person has been perfect for solo.

Last edited:

BRWNBR

WKR
Akdoc I also prefer my own space on Sheep hunts. Smaller footprint tents are easier to find places to pitch as well. I’ll double up on goat hunts where there’s usually more places to pitch a bigger tent.

Fjelljeger

Lil-Rokslider
For those the use a candle in your tent. Are you hanging it down fron the roof or setting up on something. I am assuming it is one of those enclosed type.