Car Camping Tent

treillw

WKR
I'm thinking about getting a big tent for car camping. It would pay for itself pretty quickly with the cost of hotel rooms. I'd want a three season tent that we could just throw up pretty easy for a night or two. No wall tent with stove or anything (already got one of those).

There are only two of us for now, but we'd like a lot of room for gear and family growth. Last time we did this type of camping we setup two cots inside a big tent and had a pretty luxury setup. I'd like to do that again.

I suppose any decent quality big tent will do, but I figured you all would have some good knowledge to share on the subject. Any suggestions on which tent to choose?

Thanks!

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
We tend to use our cabelas 6 man guide model tent for car camping, or where heavier weight is an option (think boat or atv based trips). Nice to be able stand up inside, and the geodesic design is really wind worthy (especially with the aluminum pole upgrade instead of fiberglass that comes standard). Only major downside to the rounded shape is you give up some interior space since the sidewalls aren’t straight. For applications where we can justify even heavier weights, we have a (now discontinued) 12’x12’ cabelas XWT, and that’s truly a palace for our family (2 adults and 1 toddler).

Some friends have the new cabelas 6 man instinct outfitter, and I feel like the interior of that seems roomier due to the straighter side walls. If we didn’t already own 2 guide models and the XWT I would look at it seriously.

efnm

WKR
Get a Kodiak 14x10 tent. They are awesome for car camping. They go up easily, are steep and give you a lot of head room, and I have fit 4 cots in there without a problem.

mtbn

FNG
We have really enjoyed our Browning Glacier Extreme 6 person tent from Sportsmans Warehouse. Goes up easy, stand up room, vestibules, weighs about 30# and comes with a floor liner. Check out the reviews at Sportsmans.

LaHunter

WKR
The Cabela's Instinct Outfitter tent is pretty nice and handle high wind really well. It has more useable floor space vs a true dome tent due to its more vertical walls. I spent a week in mine in some very windy / cold weather in WY and it did fine.

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
The Kodiak canvas tents look pretty cool. Do they have any advantages or disadvantages over a traditional tent material? Probably more bear resistant!

elkduds

WKR
Canvas breathes better than waterproof nylon. Canvas retains heat far better than nylon, if using a stove or heater. Canvas resists wind better than nylon. The tradeoffs are that canvas is much heavier than nylon, takes longer to dry, and can mildew if stored damp.

efnm

WKR
Yes, the only downsides are to make sure to dry the tent before putting away and that it is not freestanding. Also, try to find the one with more vents if you live in a hot climate. I like the extra airflow here in NM.

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
Which model of the Kodiak would you guys suggest? I will be using it in the summer in MT. Temps can be 95 during the day. It cools off pretty good at night, but it doesn't get dark and start cooling off until 10pm a lot of times.

I have the Kodiak 10x10 and it is perfect for 2 people and can do 3 if needed. If you get one, make sure and dry it out completely before storing. It is a great investment.

blackdawg

WKR
Which model of the Kodiak would you guys suggest? I will be using it in the summer in MT. Temps can be 95 during the day. It cools off pretty good at night, but it doesn't get dark and start cooling off until 10pm a lot of times.

I purchased the Flexbow VX model just for that reason. I needed as much ventilation as possible and to keep the bugs out. It vented great for a couple weeks last summer in Montana and Wyoming. I ran a Buddy heater in the a.m. to knock the chill off. If you wanted a stovejack for hunting season I can't envision how a stovejack could be added to the vx model without compromising the roof. Not an issue for me, I have other 4 season tents, but that thought was in my mind before I ordered the VX model.

frankrb3

WKR
Spring bar tents are excellent for what you want. I have the springbar vagabond (7 person tent) and it is huge. I can easily set it up alone in about 15 minutes. Kodiak Canvas is the Chinese knock off sold by cabelas but they have great reviews on their website and you can always deal with cabelas if you need to make a return.

frankrb3

WKR
The Kodiak canvas tents look pretty cool. Do they have any advantages or disadvantages over a traditional tent material? Probably more bear resistant!

No tent made out of any kind of canvas, nylon or fabric will be bear resistant. I think your best option is to utilize an electric bear fence perimeter around your tent.

We tend to use our cabelas 6 man guide model tent for car camping, or where heavier weight is an option (think boat or atv based trips). Nice to be able stand up inside, and the geodesic design is really wind worthy (especially with the aluminum pole upgrade instead of fiberglass that comes standard). Only major downside to the rounded shape is you give up some interior space since the sidewalls aren’t straight. For applications where we can justify even heavier weights, we have a (now discontinued) 12’x12’ cabelas XWT, and that’s truly a palace for our family (2 adults and 1 toddler).

Some friends have the new cabelas 6 man instinct outfitter, and I feel like the interior of that seems roomier due to the straighter side walls. If we didn’t already own 2 guide models and the XWT I would look at it seriously.

It would be hard to beat this setup I have the 8 man version

Fatcamp

WKR
If expecting bad weather, like horribleshouldgohome weather, we use a Cabela's Alaskan Guide.

Most of the time a big Kodiak with an enclosed vestibule.

Great tents. For sunshine weather anything works. Good tents earn their keep at 3am.