Tent Stakes......

jm1607

WKR
So I've been using groundhogs for years now. I like them. They work well. I may keep continuing to use them. But... I do beat them up alot! I'm starting to bend quite a few of them. I tend to camp in areas with much tougher ground and tons of rocks..

I'm thinking of switching to a peg or nail style. From what I understand most aluminum and carbon ones aren't meant for tougher ground, which leads me to titanium. I also want them to be long, say 8"+. The 6.3" Hillebergs are a little too tiny..

Any recommendations?

Napperm4

WKR
So I've been using groundhogs for years now. I like them. They work well. I may keep continuing to use them. But... I do beat them up alot! I'm starting to bend quite a few of them. I tend to camp in areas with much tougher ground and tons of rocks..

I'm thinking of switching to a peg or nail style. From what I understand most aluminum and carbon ones aren't meant for tougher ground, which leads me to titanium. I also want them to be long, say 8"+. The 6.3" Hillebergs are a little too tiny..

Any recommendations?

Vargo Ti nails. Not the ultralights.

As a cheap alternative - aluminum gutter nails work well and if you break one they’re about 60 cents to replace

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Banned
OP
jm1607

jm1607

WKR
Vargo Ti nails. Not the ultralights.

As a cheap alternative - aluminum gutter nails work well and if you break one they’re about 60 cents to replace

Thanks for the reply

I'd like to run something a little longer though.. Their website says they're only 6"

Napperm4

WKR
Thanks for the reply

I'd like to run something a little longer though.. Their website says they're only 6"

MSR has some out this year similar to the old Easton nails at about 3 x the price here in Canada anyway. I loved the old nails but had a lot of problems with the heads popping off. Nothing a little jb well couldn’t fix but it was a pain when moving camp every day not to lose the parts. Not too sure if the msr ones have the same construction or not. I saw the price and threw them down hahaha

Napperm4

WKR

Any recommendations?

https://www.mec.ca/product/5052-658...ampaign=app&utm_term=ios&utm_content=5052-658

duchntr

WKR
Lawson equipment use to sell 11.5" titanium pegs which I use regularly and I also use shorter 8"& 6" ones when I cant get the long ones into the rocky ground. Either way I also will stack rocks on top of the stakes to make sure they are secure because these little stakes don't always hold very well. I also tried the vargo stakes and found they didn't offer anything over the groundhogs and were less durable.

Loebs

Lil-Rokslider
Awesome, I think I'll try those MSRs
You might laugh, but walmart has groundhog knock-off stakes for 76 cents each. So far them seem to work great and if I destroy one I don't worry about it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk