Entry level shelter

huntdoc

FNG
Looking for something to fit 2 guys, late September elk hunts. Will only get used 1 trip a year so not looking to break the bank. Tarptent has Cloudburst 3 for reasonable price, lightweight, looks like enough space for 2 guys and gear. Any experience with this tent or other suggestions? Not sure we are ready for floorless. Hoping for something that is pretty universal regardless of destination.Thanks in advance.

Beendare

WKR
I have the discontinued 2 man Cloudburst.....been using it for almost 20 years. This design is good for tall guys. About the only bad thing about it is it won't take a snow load as it doesn't have much support in the middle. I use mine in summer and early season archery and it hasn't been an issue. I wouldn't rec it for late season hunts. I doubt that 3 man is good for 3 guys...2 sure.

FWIW, Tarptent products are excellent quality....

Scrappy

WKR
I'm going to be buying the tarptent stratospire 2 this year. If your carrying trekking poles this tent might work for you. It is listed as a three season tent but all the reviews have it handling well in bad weather.

amp713

WKR
Check out luxe hiking gear tipis. You can add inner tents and then if you decide to go floorless you dont have to buy again

sneaky

"DADDY"
I have the discontinued 2 man Cloudburst.....been using it for almost 20 years. This design is good for tall guys. About the only bad thing about it is it won't take a snow load as it doesn't have much support in the middle. I use mine in summer and early season archery and it hasn't been an issue. I wouldn't rec it for late season hunts. I doubt that 3 man is good for 3 guys...2 sure.

FWIW, Tarptent products are excellent quality....
I know the Cloudburst 3 you can put another crossing pole in the middle for light snow. Does your 2 not have that option?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
The new Copper Spur Expedition would be a consideration if you qualify for any of their discounts through Experticity, or ExpertVoice, or whatever they are calling it now. Beefed up, for sure, but much better for snow or wind loads than the regular CS series. Those Tarptents are great though, I'd love to have a bunch of their models.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Beendare

WKR
I know the Cloudburst 3 you can put another crossing pole in the middle for light snow. Does your 2 not have that option?

Mine is an older design...so no....the idea with mine is its super light. Its big for one guy....two big guys would be tight. but considering it has a floor, bug mesh and all in its 2# 4oz....its super light. I typically pitch in a sheltered location. I could easily sew a loop in the center so I could tie off making it more 4 season...I just haven't bothered.

plus I like the stove option late season.

One thing I should mention about my Tarptent is the venting....you can adjust the pitch so you don't get any condensation...none.