New Stuff from Nemo

frankrb3

WKR
I just ordered some new gear from nemo because I was able to get a good deal and their reviews were decent. I wanted to get the dagger 2p tent but they wouldn't have it back in stock until August (needed this stuff in time for my summer job working as a wildlife technician). Out of impulse I bought the 2018 version of the Galaxi 2p in brown. I'm worried it's going to be too big and heavy for a back packing tent at a minimum weight of 5lbs 1oz, so I also ordered their new spike storm 1p tent which is 1lb 3oz and requires a trekking pole or stick to pitch. Finally, I got their new vector field pad in long and wide. Hoping some roksliders can give me feedback on any of the items I bought, especially the Galaxi as a backpacking tent for 1 guy.

Last edited:

Hunter Sargent

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Galaxi 2P for camping with my son. I don't use it for hunting or backpacking due to weight...I go floorless for that. But, if you aren't hiking with it every day and are just setting up a basecamp, it would be great for that. If you need a floor due to bugs, it is a good option.

Bl704

WKR
I have the nemo tensor pad which may have been a predecessor insulated pad. No complaints- warm, light and has served me well for the last couple years.

OP
F

frankrb3

WKR
I have the Galaxi 2P for camping with my son. I don't use it for hunting or backpacking due to weight...I go floorless for that. But, if you aren't hiking with it every day and are just setting up a basecamp, it would be great for that. If you need a floor due to bugs, it is a good option.

Yea I might have to get another tent sooner than later if this one ends up being too much to pack around. The spike storm tent is super light but has no liveable space. Pretty much a bivy sack that I might be able to sit up in. I was really hoping to get the dagger 2p but I did save a lot of money by getting the galaxi for now. Only paid $150 for it and that is with the included footprint.

Hunter Sargent

Lil-Rokslider
Yea I might have to get another tent sooner than later if this one ends up being too much to pack around. The spike storm tent is super light but has no liveable space. Pretty much a bivy sack that I might be able to sit up in. I was really hoping to get the dagger 2p but I did save a lot of money by getting the galaxi for now. Only paid $150 for it and that is with the included footprint.

You might as well try it once before you go another route. It is a good tent, just not "ultralight."

AKironhead

Lil-Rokslider
The Galaxi 2p is a great tent aside from being on the chunky side. There are some ways to shed some of it's weight though, depending on your area. If you don't need bug protection you can ditch the tent body and just use the foot print or tyvek and the poles with the fly. It sounds like you are not going to be packing out meat so unless you're doing 12-14+ day trips in sheep country I wouldn't be very concerned with counting ounces.

OP
F

frankrb3

WKR
The Galaxi 2p is a great tent aside from being on the chunky side. There are some ways to shed some of it's weight though, depending on your area. If you don't need bug protection you can ditch the tent body and just use the foot print or tyvek and the poles with the fly. It sounds like you are not going to be packing out meat so unless you're doing 12-14+ day trips in sheep country I wouldn't be very concerned with counting ounces.

Looking forward to seeing how light and compact I can get it without the tent body.

Hunter Sargent

Lil-Rokslider
I also see that Nemo has a newer tent called the Hornet 2p which is pretty light. I'd say use your Galaxi and if you decide you want to go lighter you can sell it and get the Hornet.