New Big Agnes pads - AXL air

Beendare

WKR
Jordan, no offense to you personally if it came off that way... my apologies. I like your photos and posts.

I’ve just had the opposite experience as yourself with BA.

I think many folks here rely on these boards for legit info, just posting my observations and bad experience with BA.

I had two pieces of BA gear, both were bad and only went on one trip each. The pad was purchased about 7 years ago (maybe 6?). Went on one sheep hunt. I ended up sleeping on the ground for 12 days or so as it had about a million holes in the bottom 1’ of the pad. (Where it gets rolled the tightest). I took it back to REI and got another brand that is still going strong.

My BA one man tent would flatten in hard side winds, again discovered while sheep hunting. Size 13 feet on top of a pad were too tall for the foot box of the tent too. Gave it to a friend who wanted it for use in the trees with full disclosure.

So I agree wholeheartedly with Beendare, no more BA for me...twice burned! Good luck if you decide to buy some, seems some have OK results with it.

slim9300

WKR
I have run every type of pad over the last 15 years. Started with Exped, went to BA, and then came back to Exped. I have owed at least 7-8 different pads/models that I can remember. I currently have 3. Exped SynMat Winterlite LT mummy, Exped Downmat DLX 9 and Exped UL7.

My Q-Core SL was terrible. Came in way under size (2” in width and 2” in length) and over-weight (I created a post at the time). It also leaked pretty quickly (less than 3 months and 8 uses) and had to be replaced by BA. Learned my lesson and sold it.

R-value is just as important as your sleeping bag rating in my opinion. To me a pad under an R-value of 3.5 is a waste of gear. I prefer an R-value of around 5.0 for fall hunts and 3.5 for summer.

Exped’s valve and material is superior and their CS might even be better than BA with a much lower failure rate. Another thing people take for granted is noise. I can’t stand a pad that sounds like you are sleeping on a bag of potato chips (I.e. NeoAir)

Another tip. Seam sealer dots or lines are the only way to go unless you like terrible sleep on anything that isn’t perfectly flat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gabenzeke

WKR
Anyone get hands on?
I've had one for a while now. I like it a lot. I know people are concerned about warmth, but I tend to sleep warm, so that isn't a concern for me. Packs small and is pretty light. Only complaint would be that it feels to me like it takes longer to blow up. So I think I'll get a pump bag for it.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I've had one for a while now. I like it a lot. I know people are concerned about warmth, but I tend to sleep warm, so that isn't a concern for me. Packs small and is pretty light. Only complaint would be that it feels to me like it takes longer to blow up. So I think I'll get a pump bag for it.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Thanks! I may get the uninsulated for summer use!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Auckland

FNG
I have the Axl Insulated on order, I sure hope this holds up. It was a toss up for me between the noise of the NeoTherm or the insul axl.. Because I also read a lot of reviews of therms leaking also. I would think both reputable companies would stand behind manufacture defects. fingers crossed.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I have the Axl Insulated on order, I sure hope this holds up. It was a toss up for me between the noise of the NeoTherm or the insul axl.. Because I also read a lot of reviews of therms leaking also. I would think both reputable companies would stand behind manufacture defects. fingers crossed.
Where were you reading of xtherms leaking? The only complaint I've ever seen is of people complaining of the noise. It's a nonissue unless you toss and turn constantly. If that's the case every pad makes noise lol.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

slim9300

WKR
Where were you reading of xtherms leaking? The only complaint I've ever seen is of people complaining of the noise. It's a nonissue unless you toss and turn constantly. If that's the case every pad makes noise lol.

Not when you share a shelter with a partner or are sensitive to sounds. I can’t stand the potato chip bag sounds of those pads. I have slept on them and been around lots of others using them. Another reason for Exped. 75% or more less noise.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Not when you share a shelter with a partner or are sensitive to sounds. I can’t stand the potato chip bag sounds of those pads. I have slept on them and been around lots of others using them. Another reason for Exped. 75% or more less noise.

I'll take the noise over the vertical baffles that Exped and others use. By far my least favorite baffle design.

slim9300

WKR
I'll take the noise over the vertical baffles that Exped and others use. By far my least favorite baffle design.

What is your complaint about vertical baffles?

sneaky

"DADDY"
What is your complaint about vertical baffles?

Having the wall on one pop and make one huge tube on one side. I can't sleep worth a damn on a pad with vertical baffles, the reason I'll never own another one, of any brand.

slim9300

WKR
Having the wall on one pop and make one huge tube on one side. I can't sleep worth a damn on a pad with vertical baffles, the reason I'll never own another one, of any brand.

Interesting. To each his own I guess. I have slept many a night on ‘horizontal’ baffles and I far prefer the comfort of vertical ones.

I am a side sleeper. I seam seal every pad because I think a person has to be insane not to once trying it. So that might be one of the reasons. I also only blow up my pad about 80-85% which keeps my hips and shoulders about 1-1.5” off the ground. I despise sleeping on a fully inflated pad regardless of construction.

Last year I spent over 30 nights on a pad. In the hundreds of nights of sleeping on vertical baffle pads over the last 14 years, I have only had one baffle failure and it was only a 6-8” section on a three year old UL7 pad. I just turned it to face the bottom and never noticed it the rest of the trip. When I got home, I sent it to Exped and they sent me a new pad.