Another quilt vs bag thread

hunterman_78

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys hopefully you can help me out. I’m in the market for a sleeping system and need your help. I’m trying to find a bag for sept archery elk hunting. A friend of mine recommends the outdoor vital bag. I read some good reviews on them and they have a good price point and pack down small.
However I like the quilt idea to, lighter than a bag cost less than a lot of mummy bags. And I read if your a side sleeper a quilt is nice. But since my head would be out of the bag the sketters would have free go on my face. Maybe just buy a bivy with a big net?

Would you guys go with the friend recommended bag or go the quilt route? If neither of those what would you guys recommend? Thanks!

efnm

WKR
I am not sure a quilt or a bag will solve your skeeter issue, so that's not something I can answer. I will say on the quilt, go wider than you think if you sleep and your side and toss and turn. I was not a quilt fan until I got an extra wide from EE.

Skeeters presence/absence will largely be governed by how well you keep them out of your tent/tarp. I was dubious of the whole quilt thing and I tried an EE and sold my mummy bags. I've got a down and a synthetic and love them. Always kept me warm and easy to vent heat when you need to. + 1 on wider is better.

C Bow

WKR
Question for experience quilt guys Do you get the Xtra wide or just the wide or do you have a preference and do I need the 7 ft version as I an 6 ft

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
I use a Bivy, My quilt and pad inside. This will keep the skeeters at Bay. I can zip up my bivy all the way and it has a face screen if the bugs are bad keeps them off my face.

n2horns

WKR
I am 6', 230lbs and toss and turn when sleeping. I tried the long and wide, but I could not get a good seal on the EE quilts the way i sleep. I now go EE long and Xwide and get much better seal on the sides, especially in colder temps. Warmer, not matter as much but colder it does.

I have an EE quilt that is xlong and wide, and don't like the extra long portion, it is too much material. I bought it xlong to bury my head etc.. but found its more waste than use. I am selling it soon, 0 degree. Thus my new EE is the long xwide.

Kkeverson

FNG
Agree on the x wide. I have both and wide really helps. Awesome as side sleeper who tosses a lot.