Question about Therm-a-Rest NeoAir Xtherm

Vangysway

FNG
I'm looking to buy a one pad does all, but since the majority of my hunting and backpacking will be done in CA, I'm wondering if I'll run too hot on one of these.

Anyone have any experience sleeping on one of these in warmer weather?

Thanks in advance.

Alex

I don’t have any experience with sleeping on one in warm weather but have you given any thought to the Xlite? It’s cheaper, lighter, and could very well be all that you need. I have both but tend to use my Lite a little more, unless I am going to be experiencing sub freezing temperatures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Vangysway

Vangysway

FNG
I don’t have any experience with sleeping on one in warm weather but have you given any thought to the Xlite? It’s cheaper, lighter, and could very well be all that you need. I have both but tend to use my Lite a little more, unless I am going to be experiencing sub freezing temperatures.

I definitely have and was considering that as well. Just thought it would maybe be a better investment to get the 4 season, but considering the fact that I don't anticipate myself hunting in less than 20* weather anytime soon, it sounds like I'll be fine with the Xlite.

84toyota

Lil-Rokslider
I definitely have and was considering that as well. Just thought it would maybe be a better investment to get the 4 season, but considering the fact that I don't anticipate myself hunting in less than 20* weather anytime soon, it sounds like I'll be fine with the Xlite.

I use one while hunting B zone in CA. Temps into the 90’s during the day... I never had an issue with it being too warm.

Sheepdog

FNG
I've used both the xtherm and the xlite. cold weather the Xtherm hands down. warm weather I have never noticed much of a difference to be honest except for the fact that the xtherm makes a "crunchy" when you move on it. For me it has never been an issue though. both of mine came up missing after moving from Alaska a few years ago and I have just stuck with a zpad and the pad wiggy's sells. Just a couple weeks ago I decided to get a lighter pad and picked up a xtherm with out hesitation.

I use the XLite in California. 80* nights down to the 20s no problem. Heat rises so i don’t think an XTherm would be a problem, just use appropriate quilt or bag. Hang an arm or leg out to keep cool.

Tag_Soup

WKR
The insulation is reflective, not thermal barrier, so sleeping warm should be a non-issue. I have the wide xtherm and have used it in July with no issues overheating

I took mine out last July here in MT then again on Labor Day/Bow Opener. I used a 35 degree MH bag and was fine. Just opened my bag up a little to vent.

I will say it's fabulous in the cold! But it will be fine in the summer with a lighter bag.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

rklein

Lil-Rokslider
I have the xtherm and have used it in hot nights in New Mexico down to -10 degree nights in Michigan on snow. It doesnt 'create' heat, it just helps insulate from the ground. As mentioned in another post, heat rises. so if you're hot just open your bag, the xtherm isnt going to cook you from the bottom. Currently it is the one pad I use all the time. 20 degrees doesnt sound that cold, but its substantially colder than your body temperature. You can lose a substantial amount of heat on nights that temperature with an uninsulated pad on the ground. It is heavier than the xlite but the versatility is so much greater I carry it with me all the time.

Kkeverson

FNG
I used one this weekend. About 85 until it began to cool down. I had no issue with it sleeping too warm

treillw

WKR
I think I'm going to pick up an XTherm. Any suggestions on where to purchase one? What is the best deal you have seen?

MooseJaw and Backcountry Edge both have 20% off coupons right now. That gets the large to about $191, and the regular at $160 - both with free shipping.

CoHiCntry

WKR
MooseJaw and Backcountry Edge both have 20% off coupons right now. That gets the large to about $191, and the regular at $160 - both with free shipping.

I ordered a Large from Moosejaw last night. Price was $239 but then wanted to charge me $19 tax. I balked and was gonna check other places but once I put in the discount code it dropped the total price to $207 shipped, so I went for it. Probably should have checked around but it was late and wanted to get it done. Everything is 20% off but certain brands are 30% too. And free shipping.

I’ve used my Xtherm in the teens in CO and 80+ degrees in TX and haven’t felt it let me down at either temp extreme. If this one fails I’ll promptly run out and grab another to replace it.