canvas wall tent vs poly

Forest

WKR
I drew a Gila rifle tag in New Mexico, and being from Montana I don't really want to drag a camper 1400 miles. So I am looking at large tents. Can anyone help me in the pros/cons of a canvas wall tent vs a "poly" style??? By poly, I am referring to those like the cabelas alaknak, big horn 3 etc. Off season storage is not an issue for me, ease of setup is. At times I could be by myself, or just my wife to help. Not sure how many people will be coming along. Room to sleep 3-4 would be a must at least, as well as the capability for a stove. If I have a tent, I hope to use it in the summer fishing along with hunting season. So a 3 season tent would be best, likely wont use it in the middle of winter, but Montana's rifle season does get chilly. Any recommendations on what to look for and consider would be greatly appreciated.

Lots of info on the forum about comparisons of the two, but the Gila in the rifle hunts isn't terribly cold(especially if you're from Montana). A stove would be nice to maybe knock the chill off, but definitely wouldn't be necessary the times I've been out there in October. I've been comfortable in both in April out there, and I'd venture that April can be colder, and definitely windier than October. Think you'd be happy with either.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Tyler Beck

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Forest,

Congrats on the draw!

Your poly materials are not going to breathe as well as canvas, so if you end up running a stove you may experience condensation issues with an all poly tent. If you do go this route, make sure your structure has windows to help with the condensation.

As far as size is concerned, a 12x14 or 14x16 would be a perfect size for you plus 3 and a stove. Most canvas tents in the 12x14 or 14x16 size are going to weigh upwards of 65lbs, so you will need 2 people to set it up.

A canvas tent is going to function very well in 3 seasons and even in the middle of winter if you end up using it then. As most canvas tents have the option of an internal framing structure similar to that of a home, you are going to get better roof support if you end up in a situation with abundant snow.

If you have any specific questions I'd be more than happy to answer them for you. Call me at 800 234 1150 or email [email protected]

Thanks,
Tyler Beck

Sheepdog

FNG
If it's something your looking at using up in MT also and want a one time, lifetime purchase, look at Arctic Oven. They are bomber tents, with the poles still weight less than a canvas tent, set up is easily done with one guy and you don't have to look for or cut poles. If needed, it can be split up and packed in a ways from the road pretty easy. they are double walled, one gortexish outer layer and an inner cloth type layer really helps with temperature control and gets rid of any condensation even in extreme conditions. I usually use it as base camp near the truck or hauled it in a sled behind a snowmachine. Alaska tent and tarp has amazing customer service if you ever have questions or need anything. If your looking at sleeping three people on cots with a stove look into the 10 or 12. Get the vestibule, the space is perfect for coolers, cooking area/mud room. In cold weather we'd leave the guns in it so as not do introduce them to the heat, causing condensation, as much. Alaska tent and Tarp also has stoves that are really well built and have a water heater and warming tray attachment that makes making coffee in the morning or rehydrating freeze dried meals pretty nice. The best thing is it is comfortable, spacious, and critter proof enough that my wife no longer wants a camper.

Either way there are a lot of good options, Arctic oven is my favorite base camp tent hands down. good luck on your hunt!

As stated by several above, its hard to beat a canvas wall tent if the space and weight aren't an issue. They are quite often in my hunting adventures these days, but I always enjoy being in one when I can. Has a good "nostalgia" factor as well if that speaks to you!

LaHunter

WKR
I've used the Cabela's Alaknak 12X20 in WY (about 8,000 ft up to 9,000+ ft) for 4 years. It has handled the WY cold, snow, and wind of October well. A wood burning stove is a must. I have had zero condensation with my wood burning stove going.
It has some vents that will hurt the heat retention when the wind is howling really hard, but unless it's really windy and <15 degrees, a large stove keeps it warm.
I have set it up and taken it down solo on 2 of my hunts. It's not terrible, but it is time consuming when solo.

I recently got a Davis Wall tent 14X20 and I have the internal frame setup with 1" emt conduit poles. I set it up in my yard with some help. No way I would want to set this tent up solo. It is much heavier and cumbersome to set up. But, I am planning on using my new Davis in WY this coming October.

Good luck on your hunt.

A Kodiak Canvas Flexbow is easily erected by one person and if you sew a stove jack in, you're set. Add a Nu-Way 3500 propane stove and you're good to go. Now if I were taking my wife, I'd prefer two smaller Flexbows and a double wide cot. <g>

[video=youtube;gprMzIoG4bU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gprMzIoG4bU[/video]

Last edited:

sndmn11

WKR
Your poly materials are not going to breathe as well as canvas, so if you end up running a stove you may experience condensation issues with an all poly tent. If you do go this route, make sure your structure has windows to help with the condensation. If you have any specific questions I'd be more than happy to answer them for you. Call me at 800 234 1150 or email [email protected] Thanks, Tyler Beck

Like Tyler said, a cotton tent will be more breathable than a poly, poly blend, or any other synthetic material. It is fairly common for me to talk to someone who has tried the tents you mentioned and found themselves with a problematic amount of water inside the tent when there hasn't even been any precipitation outside.

I am the Sales Manager at Davis Tent, and I think that we make a great tent and manufacture that tent right here in Denver, CO. I would steer you to a 14x16 for four guys with a stove, gear, and table. You could get by with a 12x14, but the only gain in my eyes in going smaller than the 14x16 is the few hundred dollars savings. Setup time, weight, and bulk, all are pretty negligible differences between the two. I think that a 14x16 is easily setup by one person, and like one of our customers has already mentioned, the 20' long tents can take some practice with just one person setting up. For Rokslide members, I can usually work out some sort of discount, feel free to give us a call 877-ELK-CAMP or send me an email [email protected]

Like Tyler said, a cotton tent will be more breathable than a poly, poly blend, or any other synthetic material. It is fairly common for me to talk to someone who has tried the tents you mentioned and found themselves with a problematic amount of water inside the tent when there hasn't even been any precipitation outside.

I am the Sales Manager at Davis Tent, and I think that we make a great tent and manufacture that tent right here in Denver, CO. I would steer you to a 14x16 for four guys with a stove, gear, and table. You could get by with a 12x14, but the only gain in my eyes in going smaller than the 14x16 is the few hundred dollars savings. Setup time, weight, and bulk, all are pretty negligible differences between the two. I think that a 14x16 is easily setup by one person, and like one of our customers has already mentioned, the 20' long tents can take some practice with just one person setting up. For Rokslide members, I can usually work out some sort of discount, feel free to give us a call 877-ELK-CAMP or send me an email [email protected]

If I were gonna load 4 guys w/ cots and hunting gear and stove and wood, I'd go 20'.

OP
F

Forest

WKR
Which style would hold up in the wind better?? The cabelas instinct has remarks about it being tested and withstanding high winds, but how bad would a canvas tent be?? In NE Montana the wind likes to blow, sometimes a lot, so this is an important factor. Still undecided which way I want to go, sounds like a guy cant really go wrong with the canvas. However something like the instinct is quite a bit cheaper, easier to pack, setup, etc.

LaHunter

WKR
The larger the profile of the tent, the more wind it will ‘catch’. The Cabelas Outfitter Instict can really withstand some high winds. You will give up some space and comfort vs a wall tent. With my wall tent set up I use 3 ft rebar as my guy out stakes all around and I have been is some pretty stout wind in WY with no problems. I only use my Cabelas Instict when I’m solo, otherwise I’m using my wall tent